If I have a guitar with two humbuckers and a single coil, if I wanted to replace only the humbuckers (for now), could I leave the old single coil until I have the funds to upgrade it, or is this the kind of thing where you'd want to switch them all out at the same time?
No, the mismatched brands will cause your guitar to light on fire and summon Satan himself.

But seriously, yeah you'll be fine. As mentioned above make sure that the new pups have the same phasing as the old ones. Even at that if they are 4 conductor (as most modern pickups are or have the option to be), phase is just a matter of switching some wires around.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to do some reading up before I go to do this. Can't wait to get started.
Quote by TheStig1214
No, the mismatched brands will cause your guitar to light on fire and summon Satan himself.

It used to. That summoning is now handled by Grizelda, and she'll appear to snap a lightning bolt at your a&&. Satan spends most of his time in the Bahamas these days with umbrella drinks.
Quote by dspellman
It used to. That summoning is now handled by Grizelda, and she'll appear to snap a lightning bolt at your a&&. Satan spends most of his time in the Bahamas these days with umbrella drinks.

And his boyfriend, Chris.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Just one small caveat: if you're replacing with actives (say an EMG set) then you can wire passives and actives together but it's certainly more complicated, and possibly requires more parts, than just replacing everything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.