I've been looking for a good tube amp (my first one) setup to use for mostly fun playing and small-medium size gigs. I play a variety of music, anywhere from Hendrix to Van Halen to more clean/jazzy stuff. I have three amps in mind, and I like each one for different reasons. If you guys could give me your opinions on the products I mention, I'd greatly appreciate it. I would like to purchase one of these four by May. (I'm also new to UG forums, so I am requesting no negative responses.)

First up- the Carvin V3M 50 Watt Head with either a 1x12 or 2x12 cab (also from Carvin).
I have heard insanely good things about this amp, and I thoroughly enjoy the tones I have seen friends get out of theirs. I am also a fan of the two identical channels and LED lights, and I think this is probably the amplifier I favor most at the moment.

Second- the Marshall DSL40C.
I am aware of the reputation Marshall has for great rock sounds and I am also aware that this combo packs respectable power for about 100 dollars less than the Carvin. I am hesitant to buy this one because I have heard about a "fizzing" burden that the amp carries. I have played this amp at Guitar Center a time or two, and I cannot deny that it sounds pretty good. I am not very big on it's clean channel, as it sounded fairly bland in my ears.

Third (and last)- the Peavey 6505+112 60 Watt Combo.
I have read great and horrible things about it, but it sounds really good for the rock I like to play. The cleans do not sound terribly great to me, though.

Thank you in advance, and suggest any other possible amplifiers if you would like. Please keep in mind that I am aiming for nothing beyond $850, though.
Of these 3, I'd do a Marshall DSL40C. Better than a 6505 for what you want to do. Can't speak for the carvin, although I don't know if you want a head+cab or a combo more.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Mar 6, 2015,
The 6505 would be great for Van Halen, but not so great for the other bands you've listed. Its very singular in focus.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 6, 2015,
V3m is a fizzy mess and not worth the money IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Where are you playing?

Valve amps don't do quiet and the volume knob does nothing up to two, and then needs micrometer fine adjustment to stop your ears bleeding.

Valves don't give of their all unless you push them - which you can't if the amp is too loud.

Better a low wattage valve amp that you can dime over a high wattage that wants to rip your face off every time you switch it on.
Quote by John Sims
Where are you playing?

Valve amps don't do quiet and the volume knob does nothing up to two, and then needs micrometer fine adjustment to stop your ears bleeding.

Valves don't give of their all unless you push them - which you can't if the amp is too loud.

Better a low wattage valve amp that you can dime over a high wattage that wants to rip your face off every time you switch it on.

Not at all
You must not have a lot of experience with high and low wattage amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by John Sims
Where are you playing?

Thank you, you've now shown that you don't understand tubes, wattage or volume.

A 5w amp through a common 1x12 (Celestion v30) will produce ~107db, about the same as a gas power mower at 3'.

In other words, LOUD!

If you can't turn your larger amps up, you can't turn the small ones up either. Further your contention assumes that all tone comes from the power tubes, a specious claim at best.

There are more than a few high-wattage amps that sound quite good at reasonable volume levels, and no shortage of small-wattage amps that don't. Design and quality make a difference.

Further, in many cases amps DO sound better louder, but that's not because of the amp, but because of how we as humans perceive sound. Louder (up to a point) almost always sound better, everything else being equal. (Fletcher-Munson Curves etc...)

Stick around, you might learn something. I know I have.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The 6505 would be great for Van Halen, but not so great for the other bands you've listed. Its very singular in focus.

agree and honestly it wouldn't be my first choice for vintage VH either. the marshall combo isn't bad and the carvin is a good choice but is more modern in it's voicing. i'd look at something like a used Mesa 5:50 with a good overdrive pedal (recommended regardless of what amp you get). if you can get an older marshall DSL 50 combo it'd take that over the new version as well.

how important are cleans to you. often it's tough to find an amp that does both cleans and dirty with = degress of great (until you get to the really expensive stuff.).
The Marshall. Definitely.
The 6505 won't do cleans too well(although people will say it will if you use you volume knob. I want my volume knob on full god damn it).
About the carvin you should ask dspellman. He knows a lot about them.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I like my Carvin V3m head, replaced my 6505+ 112 combo with it ...... like Rob says it can be fizzy , BUT , you can also adjust the Fizzy's right out of it once you learn the amp , the V3m is highly adjustable and that can be bad as much as good , it takes a few weeks to get the hang of the amp so there is a learning curve to it .... once you get a handle on it it's a sweet amp , the amp really responds to different guitars too , different guitars make the amp sound totally different instead of every guitar sounds the same through it
A question for everyone-
I love the growl that the Marshall can produce, but I like how the Carvin is more versatile.
Can the Carvin just straight up growl like the Marshall?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not at all
You must not have a lot of experience with high and low wattage amps

Yup you are right, judging by your consistently antagonistic comments towards me, in 40 years I've learnt sod all.

However, with considerable thanks for your thoughtful retorts, I have learnt that comments contrary to the perceived wisdom of the forum gurus are treated with unnecessary distain, no matter how much personal experience may be behind them.
Quote by Arby911
Thank you, you've now shown that you don't understand tubes, wattage or volume.

And likewise thank you. You have now shown your intention is personal ridicule.

A 5w amp through a common 1x12 (Celestion v30) will produce ~107db, about the same as a gas power mower at 3'.

In other words, LOUD!

Yup thats pretty much what I said

If you can't turn your larger amps up, you can't turn the small ones up either. Further your contention assumes that all tone comes from the power tubes, a specious claim at best.

I have no idea where you achieve that insight from my post.

There are more than a few high-wattage amps that sound quite good at reasonable volume levels, and no shortage of small-wattage amps that don't. Design and quality make a difference.

I have no doubt. However, considering individual tubes only provide a finite amount of amplification individually and higher wattages are achieved by, to an extent, running multiples of the same circuits together, surely with the primary intention of playing at lower volumes you are better having a better simpler circuit for your money than the complexity and expense of components that are irrelevant to your primary intention. Why buy stuff that makes an amp loud if you want to play quietly (headroom accepted but there has to be a limit)?

Further, in many cases amps DO sound better louder, but that's not because of the amp, but because of how we as humans perceive sound. Louder (up to a point) almost always sound better, everything else being equal. (Fletcher-Munson Curves etc...)

Again, we don't disagree (as far as I can see) but my assumption there is a limit to how much volume is acceptable and the trend, through better PA and micing away from high wattage back lines.

Stick around, you might learn something. I know I have.

Thank you, but I regret I may be old enough to know I know nothing about anything and am indebted to you and your associates in endeavouring to prove my thoughts.

In closing I apologise to OP in that the above comments have perhaps run over from some other threads.

Having obviously demonstrated my wealth of inadequacies I wont comment further other than of the three you suggest I'd have the Marshall, but only because I have been happy with my Marshalls.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 8, 2015,
Quote by John Sims
Yup you are right, judging by your consistently antagonistic comments towards me, in 40 years I've learnt sod all.

However, with considerable thanks for your thoughtful retorts, I have learnt that comments contrary to the perceived wisdom of the forum gurus are treated with unnecessary distain, no matter how much personal experience may be behind them.

Well unlike what you've been doing I have lots of experience in playing and live sound engineering. I also have more experience than you in certain styles of music (this site is mainly hard-rock/metal/punk) and the amps are different and react much different then what your used to. So please feel free to put your input in when you can contribute.

Don't get mad because you get called out for giving bad advice here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by cjb1989
A question for everyone-
Can the Carvin just straight up growl like the Marshall?

yes
Quote by John Sims
Where are you playing?

You need to stop spreading so much bad information. I hope people learn not to listen to you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah. We kind of pride ourselves here on providing quality information. It's super irritating when someone comes in and says the... bs that'your are.

I played guitar for 10 years before coming here. I was a pretty good player. That is all irrelevant. I didn't know jack about amps.

I personally would get the Marshall out of those options. The 6505 would obviously work for VH, but the Marshall will be better for Hendrix and it will pull off VH fine too. The DSL needs some tweaking and a speaker swap to really get the most out of it however.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
Yeah. We kind of pride ourselves here on providing quality information. It's super irritating when someone comes in and says the... bs that'your are.

I played guitar for 10 years before coming here. I was a pretty good player. That is all irrelevant. I didn't know jack about amps.

I personally would get the Marshall out of those options. The 6505 would obviously work for VH, but the Marshall will be better for Hendrix and it will pull off VH fine too. The DSL needs some tweaking and a speaker swap to really get the most out of it however.

as odd as it sounds, when i think of EVH tone, i tend to think more marshall than 5150, to a certain degree, maybe that is just for the earlier stuff. the 5150/6505 will do better for modern metal as a general statement.

i wold go with the dsl, however i don't know if i tried that carvin amp. i think it was just the v3 i tried. i wasn't a huge fan but it was a while ago.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
as odd as it sounds, when i think of EVH tone, i tend to think more marshall than 5150, to a certain degree, maybe that is just for the earlier stuff. the 5150/6505 will do better for modern metal as a general statement.

i wold go with the dsl, however i don't know if i tried that carvin amp. i think it was just the v3 i tried. i wasn't a huge fan but it was a while ago.

Yeah, I agree. I more so meant that the 6505 will only really do VH but not Hendrix, not that it will do VH better than the DSL. We all know how the early VH albums were recorded. And most purists go about getting that VH tone with a hotrodded Plexi like amp, but the 6505 works pretty good. You just don't turn everything to 10

I agree with the V3M-is-fizzy-as-shit consensus.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
If you're in the US, find a used Randall RM100 or RM50, hell, even an RM20 would work. Check ebay, they're pretty cheap over there, used.
Then spend some time finding the right modules. Get two nice clean modules for jazzy type shit and two nice Marshall type (maybe Soldano) modules for t'other shit.
These would be my choice:
Cleans
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=baseman
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=loneclean
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/wrecked.html

Rock:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=mash-all
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=mash-oldano
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/sl-od100.html <--- love this module

The Randall made Fender modules are pretty good too. You never know what you might find until you look.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
6505+ imo, no experience with carvin but I've used the DSL40c and it sounds pretty average tbh. The heads sound nice with a good cab but not the combo.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Same here. The classic tone EVH is known for is an overloaded and electrically starved Marshall Plexi. I personally couldn't ever heard EVH from a 5150/6505, I hear Machine Head or At The Gates more readily. I guess the new EVH amp by Fender gets closer to his original sounds but still not quite.
Quote by diabolical
Same here. The classic tone EVH is known for is an overloaded and electrically starved Marshall Plexi. I personally couldn't ever heard EVH from a 5150/6505, I hear Machine Head or At The Gates more readily. I guess the new EVH amp by Fender gets closer to his original sounds but still not quite.

Yeah but that's because the bands are using the amp in different ways. The Lead channel with a TS is Machine head's rhythm tone. EVH used the lead channel as a crazy lead boost and the rhythm channel cranked in the traditional sense. The Rhythm channel is a lot more like EVH-like than you'd think.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Maybe with overdrive it could get to his tone, I've had a lot of hours tracking hard rock to thrash bands on the 5150 (original) but I never heard EVH out of that amp...not that it matters.

Now, Plexi in the patch cross setting (I think it was bottom left to top right), tubescreamer and eacho on the other hand was instant Van Halen.