What's the general consensus on this amp? Worth purchasing? Or do people buy just to own a Mesa?

I see where people rave about it but don't see where it comes up in many amp recommendation threads. I'm interested but don't want to buy one if its just buying the name (ie - better quality out there for same price or same quality for lower price on similar amps)
It is a cool amp and it does sound good, but I'd rather get a used Single recto/rectoverb. If space and portability are an issue then the mini could work great for you. You might like the 25watt rectoverb they have out also.

If your in the usa here is a used mini recto for $699
www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used-Mesa-Boogie-Mini-Rectifier-25W-Blk-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110552632-i4016227.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Seems a little overpriced if you ask me
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Mole351
What's the general consensus on this amp?
No general consensus really.
Quote by Mole351
Or do people buy just to own a Mesa?
People buying 25w versions of mesa amps either need portability very bad or are blinded by marketing.

Unless you need serious portability I'd advise against buying one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Mole351
Worth purchasing? Or do people buy just to own a Mesa?)

1. No.
2. Who knows WHY people do some of the things they do. One trip to Walmart will have you wondering about that for weeks.
You act like buying one is a really dumb choice. They sound badass and if you can get it for a good price (less then a used full-sized version) then why not? They are easier to dial in at lower volumes in my experience as well.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I don't understand the hate for amps like the Mini Rectifier or the Mark V 25. It's no different than the Express 5:50 vs 5:25 or the Lone Star Classic vs Special. It's not like Rectifiers and Marks are just metal amps. It's the same as getting a Princeton over a Twin or an AC15 over an AC30.

Yes. All Mesas are worth owning. No one buys a Mesa to buy a Mesa because Mesas cover all kinds of territory. You have players from Andy Timmons to Petrucci playing them. Mesas aren't even that sought after like Marshall or Fender.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Mar 6, 2015,
I love mine!
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Quote by JELIFISH19
I don't understand the hate for amps like the Mini Rectifier or the Mark V 25. It's no different than the Express 5:50 vs 5:25 or the Lone Star Classic vs Special. It's not like Rectifiers and Marks are just metal amps. It's the same as getting a Princeton over a Twin or an AC15 over an AC30.
I respectfully disagree.

The single, double and triple recto all have the almost same power section and the same pre.
The mini recto has a hell of a different power section (sing EL84's ffs) and a different pre and different trannies and so on.
Same thing goes for the mark V - they're gimmicks for people who think small amps sound better than big amps at low volumes and/or for people who don't have the money for "the real thing".

The 50w vs 25w express is halfway - bit of a different power section, but the pre is that one.
Same thing goes for the lone star classic vs special.

A princeton vs twin and an AC15 vs AC30 respectively have the almost same power section and the same pre's, and they cost significantly differently other than being different in size (the fender's at least).
Quote by JELIFISH19
Yes. All Mesas are worth owning. No one buys a Mesa to buy a Mesa because Mesas cover all kinds of territory
You should try an Express.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
If the Mark V 25 and the Mini Rectifier are gimmicks for people who think small amps sound better at low volume, does that apply to the Princeton and AC15 as well? The point is that they all sound different. A Princeton sounds different from a Twin and an AC15 sounds different from an AC30. You would normally want the most clean headroom from a good clean amp but that's not how it works for many people. So why should the Marks and Rectifiers be boxed into that as well? The Mark was originally Santana's amp and Mesa doesn't think the Rectifier is just a metal amp otherwise they wouldn't have put tremolo on them. And the Single, Dual, and Triple do have different power sections with different rectifier options.

I have tried an Express and I plan on buying one. It's the best clean amp for me under $1500. It's also has better gain than the other good clean amps that they make. I don't see anything wrong with the Expresses or any other amp that work great for some people and you shouldn't either. Just because a Mark V 25 and Mini Rectifier don't sound like their big brothers doesn't make them bad amps. They still sound good and some people will inevitably prefer the EL84s.
Quote by Spambot_2
I respectfully disagree.

The single, double and triple recto all have the almost same power section and the same pre.
The mini recto has a hell of a different power section (sing EL84's ffs) and a different pre and different trannies and so on.
Same thing goes for the mark V - they're gimmicks for people who think small amps sound better than big amps at low volumes and/or for people who don't have the money for "the real thing".

The 50w vs 25w express is halfway - bit of a different power section, but the pre is that one.
Same thing goes for the lone star classic vs special.

A princeton vs twin and an AC15 vs AC30 respectively have the almost same power section and the same pre's, and they cost significantly differently other than being different in size (the fender's at least).
You should try an Express.

Of course a 25 watt head will have a different power section and transformers, so what?

No the Mark V 25watt is for people who want a cheaper Mark. They save money on the power section, OT, etc... so you can buy one for like half the price new.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by JELIFISH19
If the Mark V 25 and the Mini Rectifier are gimmicks for people who think small amps sound better at low volume, does that apply to the Princeton and AC15 as well?
No, 'cause the fender's and vox's don't sound nearly as different as the mesa's, speaking of amp and small version of the same amp.
Quote by JELIFISH19
The point is that they all sound different. A Princeton sounds different from a Twin and an AC15 sounds different from an AC30.
Yeah, but how much different?*
Quote by JELIFISH19
So why should the Marks and Rectifiers be boxed into that as well?
'cause they're made by the marketing division instead of the R&D one.
They sure have advantages for some, but a used single recto costs little more than $700 and sounds better enough to most people.
Quote by JELIFISH19
The Mark was originally Santana's amp
Yeah, but there's not much more of a Mark I inside a Mark V than the name.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Mesa doesn't think the Rectifier is just a metal amp otherwise they wouldn't have put tremolo on them.
If the point is that people might want recto's because of their clean channels, so having them small makes sense, then I'd suppose more than 9 out of 10 recto buyers are more interested in the red channel.

If there's another point please clarify.
Quote by JELIFISH19
And the Single, Dual, and Triple do have different power sections with different rectifier options.
The power sections are only as little different as needed for more 6L6's to be put into them, the rest is the exact same.

They have the same rectifier sections with the double and triple giving you the option of using a SS rectifier, but if the tube rectifiers didn't have any success I'm guessing they wouldn't go as far as mentioning that feature in the name of the amp.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It's the best clean amp for me under $1500. It's also has better gain than the other good clean amps that they make.
Alright lemme retry.

Have you tried a lone star?
Quote by JELIFISH19
Just because a Mark V 25 and Mini Rectifier don't sound like their big brothers doesn't make them bad amps.
Though people buying it will buy them 'cause of their names expecting them to sound like the big ones.

I'm not a fan of mesa's marketing policy, that's all.
Quote by JELIFISH19
They still sound good and some people will inevitably prefer the EL84s.
For high gain amps?
Do you really believe what you wrote there?
Quote by evmac
Of course a 25 watt head will have a different power section and transformers, so what?

No the Mark V 25watt is for people who want a cheaper Mark. They save money on the power section, OT, etc...
They also have different pre's.
They save money on everything but marketing.

I hate misleading advertisement.

*(it's a rhetorical question, I've answered that already)
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, but does it sound bad? No. It sounds wicked.

rhetorical statement.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I like the smaller amps. I have a 20 watt Krank that is a great little amp. I wanted something lighter/smaller for portability's sake instead of lugging a 60lbs head around. It is only 20lbs and sounds pretty damn good and it has a good clean channel with a surprising amount of headroom. The one thing that probably helps it out is it uses 2x 6L6 for 20 watts so it is all clean headroom

I think the mini recto, mark v25 and other smaller amps are not really aimed at gigging musicians as much (but some can work very well). They are aimed at people who play at home or need portability. Most of the people that buy them want a nice sound and don't want to spend $2000 on a new amp that will never see a stage.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 7, 2015,
I am a Mesa fanboy and I like the smaller Mesas a lot. I live in the land of Mesa and have probably spent quality time playing through 20 different models with every different power section. They sound badass in nearly every situation. I suppose someone somewhere could get ugly guitar tone out of them but it is rare. The "marketing stuff" is all about different features that meet the needs, wants and desires of guitarists around the world. 20w, 25w, 30w, 50w, 60w, 100w... pick your poison. They won't disappoint.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Oh gawd, its the spambot shenanigans again I really am starting to think you're some sort of of bot, programmed to shit on everyone's days
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
A Twin and a Princeton sound very different. One is an 85W 2x12 combo with 6L6s and the other is a 12W 1x10 combo with 6V6s. An AC15 and AC30 sound very different when turned up. They don't breakup the same.

There's actually a lot of the old Marks in the Mark V. There's a Mark I mode on channel 2 and a Mark IIC+ and Mark IV mode on Channel 3. Channel 1 still has great cleans. The pushed and vintage modes on Rectifiers are really good. Mark Vs and Rectifiers are much more than just high-gain amps so yes, some people will prefer the EL84s.

I have tried a Lone Star but they're way too heavy and they're more than $1500. I also didn't like the second channel as much as the Express. The Lone Star has a better clean but that's all. But the Express has more flexible cleans with the blues mode on channel 2 and the graphic EQ.

Then I suppose you must have a problem with almost every amp company ever. Because almost every company has different versions of amps that don't sound the same. They might even change from year to year. Are they supposed to give a completely new name for every version of an amp? And I don't think anyone is buying a $1000 head just based on the name. The tone speaks for itself. If the amp doesn't sound good people aren't going to buy it. If it sounds good, people will buy it.
"If the amp doesn't sound good people aren't going to buy it."

Seriously? The MG is Marshall's biggest selling amp. Marketing is about convincing people to buy things that they don't need or even want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ffs. i picked up my trem-o-verb head for $760 in mint condition. the mini recs are way overpriced, the powersections are so much weaker, not that EL84's are bad, but they don't sound anything like 6L6's. no tube rectifier option, i don't know why you would want a mini. i like headroom.

cheap marketing ploy. i thought mesa was better than that...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by red.guitar
Oh gawd, its the spambot shenanigans again
Well the thread did ask for an opinion about these amps, so here I come and answer.
Quote by JELIFISH19
A Twin and a Princeton sound very different. One is an 85W 2x12 combo with 6L6s and the other is a 12W 1x10 combo with 6V6s.
Running everything through the same speaker with both power amps being clean gives you a sound that is fairly similar if ya ask me.

Also thinking about it, have the princeton and the twin ever been marketed as the same amp?
Quote by JELIFISH19
An AC15 and AC30 sound very different when turned up. They don't breakup the same.
The AC30 will obviously distort your signal more, but look at a schematic.
Quote by JELIFISH19
There's actually a lot of the old Marks in the Mark V.
I said Mark I, and ch.2 shares so much with other amps I really doubt they were able to put the pre of an amp that alone is about as big as the mark v.

If you got a schem to prove me wrong than I stand corrected.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Mark Vs and Rectifiers are much more than just high-gain amps so yes, some people will prefer the EL84s.
How many people do you think buy recto's and mark v's for low gain and clean tones?
How many of these want distortion coming from EL84's?
How many of them want power tube distortion in general?

I don't really know the exact numbers, tho in my experience the answers are, respectively, few, fewer and even fewer.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Then I suppose you must have a problem with almost every amp company ever.
Some of them, yes.
Orange for example markets the CR pro series as solid state rockerverbs claiming they sound almost the same, and marshall markets MG's as great sounding amps.

On the other hand companies like Jet City don't make such claims.
Blackheart doesn't as well.
Fender does it a little bit with their amps' reissues.

Blackstar and mesa though are top down ridiculous - blackstar imply their amps are all tube while they aren't, and mesa makes these overpriced amps that resemble their bigger brothers marketing them as the same amps apart from a size and power reduction.
Also they tell you since they're smaller they'll be a better choice for someone who doesn't need to play loud since they're smaller.

Do you like false and misleading advertisement?
I like it so little that even though I like a couple amps they make I'll not speak good thinks about that company, regardless of how good some of their products sound.
Quote by JELIFISH19
And I don't think anyone is buying a $1000 head just based on the name. The tone speaks for itself.
Have you met a guitarist before?
Well let's say you have and you've been lucky.
Meet some more and you'll change your mind.
Quote by JELIFISH19
If the amp doesn't sound good people aren't going to buy it. If it sounds good, people will buy it.
Why do people own so much MG's and spider's while blackheart went out of business?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I thought the little Mesa sounded pretty great.
The issue with Mesa is that there are so many used ones out there that you can pick up a used combo for only a bit more then the mini new. However, if you need something that's slightly portable then the mini might be a better bet.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
I thought the little Mesa sounded pretty great.
The issue with Mesa is that there are so many used ones out there that you can pick up a used combo for only a bit more then the mini new. However, if you need something that's slightly portable then the mini might be a better bet.

That's what I thought after I finally tried them. When used ones become more available, the portability and pricing will make them an easy recommendation.
I am under the impression that Spambot hasn't tried that amp as he is a proponent of amp modeling and plays through vst simulations, that he is always happy to recommend as better to the real thing.

While the Mini Recto is not quite the same as the original, it is a great sounding amp on its own, and its sounds are a nod towards its bigger brother, especially when paired with the commensurate Mesa cab. It is a great all rounder that I'd be very happy to own for smaller gigs where the bigger Mesa doesn't make as much sense to take along.
Quote by Ippon
When used ones become more available, the portability and pricing will make them an easy recommendation.
I agree.
Quote by diabolical
I am under the impression that Spambot hasn't tried that amp as he is a proponent of amp modeling and plays through vst simulations, that he is always happy to recommend as better to the real thing.
I have tried the mini recto, not the 25w mark.

Have you read anything I wrote recently?
The first answer here for example.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1672134

Now you may be misinterpreting what I'm often writing - a good amp sim is, more than 9 times out of 10, better than a bad amp, and it's more convenient for recording every damn time other than better sounding lotsa times, 'cause the average joe here doesn't have the facilities nor the exp to make a real amp recording sound better.

Most of the time I also use a tube amp for my playing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by diabolical

While the Mini Recto is not quite the same as the original, it is a great sounding amp on its own, and its sounds are a nod towards its bigger brother, especially when paired with the commensurate Mesa cab. It is a great all rounder that I'd be very happy to own for smaller gigs where the bigger Mesa doesn't make as much sense to take along.

He lives in Italy, so give him a break
Mesa's there are like Lambo's here
I prefer the rectoverb 25 over the mini (and it looks way better)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 9, 2015,