Hi,
I'm looking for a small combo amp, all-tube and low wattage (15/20 W, 30 max), for playing at home and for small gigs.
I play metal (death/thrash).
I can't test all the models, so I need your advices, please !
My specifications :
- easily portable without breaking my back
- playable at low volumes, idealy with a power soak to achieve a reasonably good tone, or if it's not possible, with a line out for headphones or whatever
- a FX loop would be a plus,
- not to much expensive (used, about 400-500 euros/USD max)

My gear :
- Schecter Blackjack tuned to A#
- Maxon OD808,
- ISP G-string decimator,
- MXR 10 band eq

What about my list ?
- ENGL Gigmaster 15 W,
- HK Tubemeister 18 W,
- Laboga the beast 15 W (but no FX loop, argh...),
- Laney Tony Iommi Signature 15W
More powerfull :
- Laboga the beast combo 30 plus
- Laney Ironheart 30W

I have only tested the ENGL with my gear, sounds not too bad !
Any advice/suggestion ?
Thanx !
If I were you and looking at that list, I'd pick something like the Ironheart 30 watt because you want more wattage for death metal. You need headroom for rehearsing and playing live. That being said, it probably won't be much lighter than a 50 watt combo, so what's really the point?

Grab a dolley and mount some wheels on the combo. A lot of people by separate head/cab for this reason. Yeah it's two trips but a head and a cab with wheels is a lot easier to move around.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Less powerful amps don't sound better than more powerful amps at lower volumes.

Everything sounds worse at lower volumes 'cause guitar speakers are (poorly) designed to be pushed and the fletcher-munson curves and so on.
And, 30w amps aren't much less loud than 100w amps when everything's turned up and all of the other factors are taken out of the equation.

So drop the idea of getting a small amp for the sake of it being small, it makes no sense.
Amps have master volume controls for reasons.

I'd get myself a peavey vypyr tube 60, even if it's not all tube.
I was a bit skeptic myself but I stopped caring after playing one for 5 minutes.

Or a used 6505+ combo if you're so very firm on the idea of wanting an all tube amp.

I'm guessing you aren't though since there's a gigmaster and a tubemeister in your list...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you want it to be all-tube, then neither the engl nor h&k are (as far as i'm aware). the laney's boost is solid state, too, but you can turn it off (far as i'm aware).

Are you sure you want/need low wattage if you're playing metal? more headroom is normally better for metal, plus those 20 watters are too loud to crank up at home anyway.

does it have to be a combo? jet city would be worth a look (I'm assuming you're in europe since you mentioned euros first; if not, there might be better value options) but they're nearly always out of stock of the combos. i guess if that's what you need, though, it might be worth the wait.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2
Less powerful amps don't sound better than more powerful amps at lower volumes.

I beg to differ.

My 5 watt tube amps sound much better than my 50 Watt at household volume because the 5 watt tubes are starting to cook where as the Marshall is doing all it can to get louder if you breath on the knobs.

And I don't hold with your speaker theory either.

Small amps with small wattage speakers, being pushed, are far more dynamic than large wattage speakers which are lethargic at low volume because they have to be robust enough to handle high volumes And powerful enough to push the air to generate high volumes.

I use both a hybrid rig and all valve amps...All valve is better.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 6, 2015,
I didn't mention, sorry, but I have already a 100 w amp (NOS custom amp, a handmade beast, and REALLY all-tube, this one ), but heavy as hell, and not very convenient to carry and use on very small stages. The monster stays currently at the rehearsal place.
So for the power/wattage, I have what I need (and even too much,...), so this is not the problem...
As I said, I need the little brother of the beast, VERY easy to carry, usefull at home for practicing, but enough powerfull to play occasionaly for very small gigs (in a bar, for exemple), without PA system but with a mad drummer.
Quote by John Sims
I beg to differ.

My 5 watt tube amps sound much better than my 50 Watt at household volume because the 5 watt tubes are starting to cook where as the Marshall is doing all it can to get louder if you breath on the knobs.

And I don't hold with your speaker theory either.

Small amps with small wattage speakers, being pushed, are far more dynamic than large wattage speakers which are lethargic at low volume because they have to be robust enough to handle high volumes And powerful enough to push the air to generate high volumes.

Beg all you want, your anecdotal, subjective evidence is false.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I don't want this thread becomes a war about the use of amps and their wattage.
I just need advice about the choice of a small wattage amp...
Quote by larphi
I don't want this thread becomes a war about the use of amps and their wattage.
I just need advice about the choice of a small wattage amp...

Fair enough, and you should of course get what you want.

What we've been trying to say is what you want may not be what you actually need.

If you insist on a low wattage amp for whatever reason, I'm sure there will be several suggestions made, but usually these types of questions get approached from the standpoint of trying to find the best solution for the question rather than the easy one. That's no insult to you, it's just people with a lot of knowledge and experience trying to be as helpful as possible.

Apologies for potentially derailing your thread.
Charles Darwin
No problem, don't worry, I appreciate your points of view and don't doubt about your different experiences !
But what I understand is that people seems to be suggesting that I should buy what I already have.
For me, it's not very convinient to play in all situations with my 100 w amp.
That's why I plan to buy another amp less powerfull, smaller but more useful for domestic usage.
Get a Line 6 POD HD500 and screw the amp war, find a used tube amp, as long as the power amp section woks plug it in through the return on the fx loop.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Quote by larphi
No problem, don't worry, I appreciate your points of view and don't doubt about your different experiences !
But what I understand is that people seems to be suggesting that I should buy what I already have.
That's why I plan to buy another amp less powerfull, smaller but more useful for domestic usage.

50 watt combo may be a better bet though. having some headroom is a good thing in a gig situation especially if no PA. they really won't be any louder either. common misperception. i use a 50 watt combo for practice all the time and live in a townhouse with neghbors. no you can't crank it (often ) but the same can be said of a 15-20 watter as well. they can get just a s loud.
Quote by larphi

Yeah but you have some flawed logic.

Wattage doesn't equal volume or quality of tone at a certain volume. So, smaller wattage amps don't sound better than higher wattage amps at quieter volumes. Certain amps are designed to sound better at lower volumes. Wattage is irrelevant.

People always say, "My 5watt non master volume amp sounds better cranked than my 100watt head at the same volume." These people don't really understand what's going on. The two amps sound different at these volumes because they are being used in different way. They are pushing the pre and power sections into distortion on their 5 watt head, and they're not doing that with their higher wattage heads." This is a very specific scenario and mostly used for blues music. You don't need to worry about any of this.

My JCA50H sounds great a low volumes. It's a 50 watt all tube head that's loud as shit. I play through V30s, which are loud speakers. A Tiny Terror isn't going to sound any better at low volumes than my JCA50 even if it's only 15watts.

Now if you just want a tube amp that's smaller (which isn't what you said in your original post) then just buy an Ironheart combo.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Yes, that's the point : for practical reasons, I want something much smaller, but capable to be sufficiently loud for small gigs!
Forget my need about a good tone at low volumes, I think It was misinterpreted... But by the way, the ENGL's capabilities to be switchable to lower wattages (until 1 W) is pretty cool...
I'd recommend a vox ac30 only downside is they are expensive (but you might just get lucky on ebay, I saw one go for 250 the other day) and heavy as **** I wouldn't want to be carrying one of them on a train or bus on the way to a gig but as long as you drive or has someone who drives you to gigs then they aren't too heavy to carry into the venue and on to the stage. I used my mates ac30 for a gig a while ago, I'm not in a metal band but we do have this one metal song that starts with a huge black sabbath style riff and the ac30 sounded insane the whole night best tone I have ever got at a gig. Plus you can turn the channel volume right down and the master right up and the amp can break up at really low volumes which is cool so if you want a really solid metal tone in a small venue you can have the amp not too loud whilst still breaking up a little then bang your tube screamer on top of that and it should sound the dogs bollocks.
Quote by felixknott
I'd recommend a vox ac30 only downside is they are expensive (but you might just get lucky on ebay, I saw one go for 250 the other day) and heavy as **** I wouldn't want to be carrying one of them on a train or bus on the way to a gig but as long as you drive or has someone who drives you to gigs then they aren't too heavy to carry into the venue and on to the stage. I used my mates ac30 for a gig a while ago, I'm not in a metal band but we do have this one metal song that starts with a huge black sabbath style riff and the ac30 sounded insane the whole night best tone I have ever got at a gig. Plus you can turn the channel volume right down and the master right up and the amp can break up at really low volumes which is cool so if you want a really solid metal tone in a small venue you can have the amp not too loud whilst still breaking up a little then bang your tube screamer on top of that and it should sound the dogs bollocks.

a vox ac 30 for death metal ummm.... well gotta admit that would be different but far from practical.

CATHBARD good link interesting read.
My RM100 sounds better than my RM20 at ALL volumes with the same preamp modules and speakers. The myth that small amps sound better at low volumes has to die. It leads to BS like in this thread. Small amps are good if you want power amp distortion, which you don't want for death metal.
I'd suggest an Ampeg VH140C or Crate GX130C (same amp) for what you are doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Having, among other amps aquired over 40 years, and still in my possesion, a Marshall MV50 and four 5 watt amps (bought after the Marshall), the Marshall never gets used at home.

Speakers make a big difference - I've done back to back tests.

So, my ears are obviously wrong and I have wasted my money buying four 5 watt amps for home. Right.

However, with due respects to previous posters comments, I grew up with the origins of Rock and now play more Blues. I have moved away from pedals, I enjoy the dynamics and purity that an amp on the edge gives me. My set up suits me. I have no comprehension as to the requirements of death metal and accept it is probably poles apart from what I'm looking for.
Thanx for your advices.
I know all that stuff about wattages, speaker's efficiency, and so on...
I should precise I don't want a low wattage amp only to have a good sound at low volume. This is just a wished specification.
I know that a good 100 w amp can sound good at low volumes, mine does that...
But, if a 100 w amp can, why not a low wattage amp ? ENGL sounds good at voice level...

Once again, if I want this type of amp, it's because mine is too heavy (weight : 25 kg only for the head !) to be transported every time I go to rehearsal space, so it stays at this place and will be moved only for big events.

You could ask : "But why did you purchase it ?". Because It was a very very very great deal for the price, but the drawback is it's not convenient for my current use. Maybe, and I hope so, it will be usefull in the next future, that's why I keep it for now.

Once again, I just need a good small amp for domestic use (around 15-20 kg max), and occasional small gigs with or without PA system.
Last edited by larphi at Mar 7, 2015,
Quote by John Sims
Having, among other amps aquired over 40 years, and still in my possesion, a Marshall MV50 and four 5 watt amps (bought after the Marshall), the Marshall never gets used at home.

Speakers make a big difference - I've done back to back tests.

So, my ears are obviously wrong and I have wasted my money buying four 5 watt amps for home. Right.

However, with due respects to previous posters comments, I grew up with the origins of Rock and now play more Blues. I have moved away from pedals, I enjoy the dynamics and purity that an amp on the edge gives me. My set up suits me. I have no comprehension as to the requirements of death metal and accept it is probably poles apart from what I'm looking for.

No what you found is something that works for you, in your situation.

Besides, I highly doubt your playing what TS wants to with those amps. You sound like you play classic rock.

And just because you have 40yrs of experience doesn't mean shit, because your 40yrs is wrong here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
And just because you have 40yrs of experience doesn't mean shit, because your 40yrs is wrong here

Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
I'd get a POD + powered speaker. Sounds great and you can play at home on earphones.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by larphi
Hi,
I'm looking for a small combo amp, all-tube and low wattage (15/20 W, 30 max), for playing at home and for small gigs.
I play metal (death/thrash).
I can't test all the models, so I need your advices, please !
My specifications :
- easily portable without breaking my back
- playable at low volumes, idealy with a power soak to achieve a reasonably good tone, or if it's not possible, with a line out for headphones or whatever
- a FX loop would be a plus,
- not to much expensive (used, about 400-500 euros/USD max)

Not gonna happen. Best I can come up with is a Carvin Nomad (50W 1x12, 40 lbs) or the Carvin Vintage 16 (16/5W, 1x12, lighter). Neither are easily available where you are.

We've been down the road with this before, and the issue sound-wise is "low or no volume home use plus small gigs with a "mad" drummer" -- this is oxymoron territory.

The issue weight-wise is "all-tube plus easily portable." Output transformers are always the issue here. Speaker magnets on cheap-enough speakers aren't light. That and most standard manufactured guitar cabinets are made of heavier-than-it-needs-to-be plywood (because it's cheap and easy and guitar-player-traditional).

Welcome to 2015.

I've got a Pod. It fills the "no volume" headphone playing request perfectly. Plug in, blow your ears right into tinnitus while you're sitting in the baby's room. The "bean" version weighs a couple of pounds.

Low volume. The Pod plugs into powered full-range speakers, such as recording monitors. Mine runs into a pair of KRK Rokit 8's. They're designed specifically for performance at 6-8' distances (nearfield), have 100W each (mostly to make the bass work well at medium volume).

Gig volume. A Carvin PM12A is a powered PA-style speaker with a plastic cabinet, 12"LF driver, 1" tweeter, a "top hat" to allow you to put it up on a speaker stand and a wedge design to allow you to put it on the floor as a monitor. You can also toss it on an amp stand and have it up at waist level, leaning back and aimed at your ears. It has a 400W RMS power amp built in and the whole thing weighs about 29 lbs and runs under $300. Easy to carry to a gig, plenty of punch, and you can feed a Pod or any other preamp to it.

I have two Epiphone Valve Jr heads, one stock, the other with a Mercury Magnetics kit (transformers, choke, a few circuit mods). 5-10W, Good for practice, not enough for gigs.

I have Atomic Reactor 112-18s -- 18W tube power amps (EL84) running an Eminence 12" speaker in an oversized 1x12 cabinet and I feed it with a variety of preamps (tube and Pod-ish). But now you're approaching the weight and size of what you already have in your 100w tube amp. OTOH, it's a closed back cab and has metal crunch capabilities at reasonable volume for days.

I have an Atomic Reactor 212-50 - 50W tube power amp (6L6) in an oversize closed back ported cabinet that's 2/3rds of a 4x10 in size and nearly that in weight. The pods and other preamps feed that as well. I use it for practice, but not cranked. There's almost no point in it having tubes, you know?

You might consider a tube preamp running the aforementioned Carvin (or other) PA-type speaker. I have a Carvin Quad-X -- all tubes, all the FX loops (6) you could ever want, four channels, up to eleven tube gain stages, noise gate, boost built in, active EQ, assignable five-band graphic EQ, much more. It'll run into any of the solid state (or tube based) powered speakers. Also have a Mesa Triaxis. Both are rackmount tube preamps, and both will give you everything you can ask for aside from power tube distortion (and how loud do you have to run your 100w amp to get to that point?).
^ This is a bang on explanation.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by John Sims
So it doesn't sound better, it sounds different 'cause the 5w amp is being pushed into distorting your signal while your marshall's still clean.

I do have a 5w amp and I really do hate it most of the times when it distorts my signal at volumes (relatively) that low.

Different sounds for different folks, and what sounds "much better" to you sounds "much worse" to somebody else.

Also if at the same volume both amps are clean and the 5w one sounds better than your marshall, then the small amp will sound better at any volume level, the two amps being at the same volume.
Quote by John Sims
To get into the pics game...

Referring to "dynamic".

Something dynamic is, in this case, something able to reproduce a wide dynamic range.
If by dynamic you mean the speaker sounds different and adds a different character to the sound depending on how hard you pick the strings and so on, then you're wrong because that has nothing to do with the cause you're attributing to it.

Speakers with lower power handling ideally start distorting before speakers with higher power handling, but:
1. speakers with higher power handling sound lethargic to you 'cause they are heavy and they're possibly poorly designed (most common guitar speakers are)
2. speakers don't have to be particularly robust to "handle high volumes", they have to have a good and usually big voice coil - the rest can be the same between different versions of the same speaker (think jensen)
3. to push more air they simply have to be big, not particularly robust, and they have to be able to handle enough power/be efficient enough to move considerably
Quote by John Sims
Now this is another common misconception.

It's not like designs using tubes sound inherently better than designs using transistors.

People designing and manufacturing guitar gear simply make tube stuff sound better 'cause they make better designs using tubes, which in turn is caused by the fact that guitarists want tube amps instead of solid state ones and expect them to sound better, 'cause marketing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Once again, thanx a lot for the advices/suggestions/explanations.
Mmmmhhh... I already have a Pod-XT, and thought about plugging it into a poweramp some time ago. No satisfactory answers at that time...
But this idea comes back here ! So I will reconsider my point of view.
Question : is there an equivalent to the Carvin PM12A easy to find in Europe ?
The Pod HD-500 is a whole different beast compared to the XT. you get midi switching and a bunch of other cool stuff. In Europe they aren't too expensive, either.
I'm sure you'll find something like that Carvin just fine. Look around on thomann if you want. You won't find better prices.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Robbgnarly
No what you found is something that works for you, in your situation.

Besides, I highly doubt your playing what TS wants to with those amps. You sound like you play classic rock.

Yup well that's just plain rude. Particularly noting I have already pointed out I know nothing about death metal.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that you seem to need a nice clean amp which you obliterate with pedals in which case, you are quite right, it is so far off my point of reference that my comments probably mean nothing.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 8, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

So it doesn't sound better, it sounds different 'cause the 5w amp is being pushed into distorting your signal while your marshall's still clean.

I do have a 5w amp and I really do hate it most of the times when it distorts my signal at volumes (relatively) that low.

Different sounds for different folks, and what sounds "much better" to you sounds "much worse" to somebody else.

I agree with you entirely and can only attribute my prickelyness to having been ridiculed elsewhere.

I love the way a 5 watt valve amp can be pushed to the edge of break up, under its own steam, at relatively room acceptable volumes. I appreciate that others may not have this desire/requirement.

Speakers with lower power handling ideally start distorting before speakers with higher power handling, but:
1. speakers with higher power handling sound lethargic to you 'cause they are heavy and they're possibly poorly designed (most common guitar speakers are)
2. speakers don't have to be particularly robust to "handle high volumes", they have to have a good and usually big voice coil - the rest can be the same between different versions of the same speaker (think jensen)
3. to push more air they simply have to be big, not particularly robust, and they have to be able to handle enough power/be efficient enough to move considerably
Now this is another common misconception....

Well apart from being unnecessarily antagonistic I don't read anything there which doesn't confirm what I said in the first place...considering we are talking about guitar speakers.

When I talk about dynamic I refer to the ability to respond to both very quiet softly picked stings and hard aggressively played chords.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 8, 2015,
Quote by John Sims
Yup well that's just plain rude. Particularly noting I have already pointed out I know nothing about death metal.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that you seem to need a nice clean amp which you obliterate with pedals in which case, you are quite right, it is so far off my point of reference that my comments probably mean nothing.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I wasn't trying to be a dick, but you are throwing out satatement that are just wrong and from your other posts in other topics you seem adamant in your views. Just letting you know your wrong.

It's the internet, have a good time, give un-subjective answers and have fun being a contributer here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
*ahem*

I'll echo dspellman and advise that you GT a portable digital modeler (Line6 Pod, Korg Pandora, Boss Micro BR, Tascam GT-R1, etc.) or MFX unit with a headphone jack (DigiTech iPB-10 and so many more) and some decent headphones (over the ear, not buds) for quiet practice, and then find a style-appropriate amp for your gigging.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by John Sims
I agree with you entirely and can only attribute my prickelyness to having been ridiculed elsewhere.

I love the way a 5 watt valve amp can be pushed to the edge of break up, under its own steam, at relatively room acceptable volumes. I appreciate that others may not have this desire/requirement.

I'm a big fan of edge of breakup stuff too (hence why I also have some small amps too) but it's completely irrelevant for death metal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't get your panties in a wad. I wasn't trying to be a dick, but you are throwing out satatement that are just wrong and from your other posts in other topics you seem adamant in your views. Just letting you know your wrong.

It's the internet, have a good time, give un-subjective answers and have fun being a contributer here

Yup I WAS WRONG and I can only apologise if I have mislead anyone.

Yesterday I plugged in my Marshall 50 at home, the first time in a long time.

It is different to how I remember it. The volume controls aren't linear, perhaps as a result of the age of the amp but then none of my valve amps are linear. And the volume controls are sensitive but this is subject to what gain is set in my case it certainly isn't as bad as I may have suggested (subject to gain in my case).

I can play it at room volumes.......but for the type of music I play (which may be entirely irrelevant to your style) I wouldn't choose to, and confirmed why I haven't for so long.

I just didn't like it. I couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do. It sounded/felt dull and lifeless and didn't demonstrate any of the subtle characteristics which I perceive as being the advantage of valve over solid state. I appreciate that for a different music style, particularly if allied to pedals, it could/would be fine. It just didn't do it for me in the same way my 5 watt valve amps do at room volume.

It is by no means a bad amp, and when I can let it off the leash, it sings and I love it to bits and would never get rid of it but in my case it doesn't work for me when quiet.

I hope this makes more sense and off sets some of the more sweeping statement I may have made previously.

Please note that my amp has a triode/pentode switch (I assume) which makes it quieter and may be part of why it seemed so lifeless and may have also attributed to a flattening of the non linearity of the volume pots that I remember.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 9, 2015,
Quote by John Sims

Hell, if we're counting mistakes I've made my fair share here and elsewhere. No harm done and I think you'll find the folks here are actually pretty friendly (If a bit blunt on occasion, me included unfortunately) once you get to know them.

In any case welcome aboard, I've no doubt your experience will be an asset, but don't be surprised if you see challenges to more than a few long-held beliefs myths.

Charles Darwin
Quote by John Sims

Yesterday I plugged in my Marshall 50 at home, the first time in a long time.

It is different to how I remember it. The volume controls aren't linear, perhaps as a result of the age of the amp but then none of my valve amps are linear. And the volume controls are sensitive but this is subject to what gain is set in my case it certainly isn't as bad as I may have suggested (subject to gain in my case).

I can play it at room volumes.......but for the type of music I play (which may be entirely irrelevant to your style) I wouldn't choose to, and confirmed why I haven't for so long.

I just didn't like it. I couldn't get it to do what I wanted it to do. It sounded/felt dull and lifeless and didn't demonstrate any of the subtle characteristics which I perceive as being the advantage of valve over solid state. I appreciate that for a different music style, particularly if allied to pedals, it could/would be fine. It just didn't do it for me in the same way my 5 watt valve amps do at room volume.

It is by no means a bad amp, and when I can let it off the leash, it sings and I love it to bits and would never get rid of it but in my case it doesn't work for me when quiet.

I hope this makes more sense and off sets some of the more sweeping statement I may have made previously.

Please note that my amp has a triode/pentode switch (I assume) which makes it quieter and may be part of why it seemed so lifeless and may have also attributed to a flattening of the non linearity of the volume pots that I remember.

+1
Welcome and deff give your views and share your experiences. But be aware that not every situation is the same

Nice sig
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 9, 2015,
Welcome aboard! Everybody makes mistakes, just remember that everybodys situations are different.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/