Super Kid requested this too, and it's simple so I figured I'd bang it out real quick.

With an emphasis on quick because:

1. The tune has like 5 chords.

2. I hate Pat Metheny.

Here's the track (which you've all probably heard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiKt8DxBpeg

Here's the chart.

Again, I'm going to go chord by chord. We are in the key of D major.

The A Section

Gmaj7

IV.

We start on the IV chord. Note the #11 in the melody, really cementing the fact that this is IV in D, not I in G.

Bb/A

bVImaj(#11)

Note the #11 in the melody, and maj7 in bass. We can still have a 7 in the bass without changing the chord root (one you go to 9 in the bass all bets are off). Therefore, we can call this chord bVImaj(#11), a totally logical and valid chord in the key of D major.

P.S. I see many people argue that the A bass makes this a very goofy V chord, but that'd give you these pitches. (A Bb D E F) Asus4 (b9 b13) ????

Uhh..... I don't think so. It's Bbmaj7 #11.

The bass note only becomes the chord root if it is a number ABOVE 7.

Note the "fake" V-I root motion due to the A in the bass.

Moving on.

D(9)

I

And on to the I chord. Note, this is D(add9) here (stupid Real Book), not D9.

D/C

V7/IV.

A simple D7 with the 7 in the bass. Used to take us back to Gmaj7. But first a quick pit stop...

The endings:

We then move back to Bbmaj7 (bVImaj7) bringing us back around to the Gmaj7 chord. Notice this time that the A is not in the bass, removing the "fake" V-I root motion from before and smoothing out the turnaround.

The G/A chord is actually V9sus4, not a G chord with 9 in the bass. More on this below.

The second ending is a simple IV-I in D major.

That's the entire A Section. You can improvise over the whole thing in D major with two exceptions. Use Bb Lydian over the Bb chords, and some form of D dominant sound over the D7. You can also experiment with A dominant sounds over the Bb/A.

The Bridge

Looks MUCH harder than it actually is.

G/A

V9sus4

This is just an A7 chord with a 7, 9, and 11. Mixolydian time.

F/G

IV9sus4

A G7 with 7, 9, and 11. Same deal.

This is also an honest to goodness IV7, not a V7/X. It moves from diatonic to diatonic root without dominant function.

What we have experienced with these two harmonies are a special kind of "slash" chord known as a hybrid voicing . Hybrid voicings occur when the note in the bass is a chord tone other than 1, 3, 5, or 7. In these cases, the 2nd degree of each chord is in the bass.

The bass note of a hybrid voicing IS the root. Hence, these are A and G chords, not G and F chords, and are analyzed as such.

A/E

V

Just a V chord with the 5 in the bass. Nothing special here; don't let the preceding hybrid voicings throw you off. A mixolydian AKA D major works perfect here.

The bassline is to set us up in an ascending motion back to the A section.

D/F#

I

The I chord again, leading us back around to the IVmaj7 at the beginning. Straight D major.

Just like the Coda, which is a blatant V7-I, In D major.

That's it. That's the whole thing. Let's discuss.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Yeah, they are a great tool.

The most common hybrid is probably maj7/2.

Ex. Fmaj7/G, Bbmaj7/C, etc.

It shows up all the time in pop as is by far the most common way of expressing the 13sus4 sound.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
nice!!!

these are the main sounds i would use during the solo:

Gmaj7 - D major scale, B minor pentatonic (starting the minor pent from the third of the major chord gives us all the nice colors of the chord)

Bb/A - Bb lydian, A minor pentatonic (start the pent an half step below a maj chord for a lydian sound)

D - i would play the triad notes for a very bright sound

D/C - D mixo

Bb/A - Bb lydian

G/A - this is a A7 so A mixolydian or F# - pent (= notes of the melody, this is a minor pentatonic starting on the third of the chord it is supposed to resolve to, D major)

G/B and D - D major

B section:
G/A - A mixo, F# minor pent
F/G - G mixo, E minor pent

A/E - A mixo, F# minor pent
D/F# - D major, F# minor pent

Cant think of anything else right now, but these would be my basic note choices
Total agreement.

I'd call it C major pent, not A minor pent though, looks a bit neater and the Lydian connection is more apparent.