I've seen this a lot and tried to google the question but can't seem to find a answer that satisfies my question.

i mostly see it on 7 string guitars and guitars meant for death metal, is there a specific reason?
I always see people say that they get one without a tone knob because they dont use it, so does this mean that if you wanna get a death metal tone, you dont use the tone knob?

and by dont use it, do they mean they set it to 0 and dont touch it again, or that they leave it at 10 dont touch it again?

Would a guitar without a tone knob sound like a guitar with the tone set at 0 or at 10?

do they mean they dont lower it or they dont raise it passed zero?
No tone knob is like having it at 11; it passes slightly more signal because there's some loss of signal from a tone pot. So if you want a bright aggressive sound and never use the tone pot anyway you get more of the same by removing it.
Quote by Roc8995
No tone knob is like having it at 11; it passes slightly more signal because there's some loss of signal from a tone pot. So if you want a bright aggressive sound and never use the tone pot anyway you get more of the same by removing it.

oh i think i understand, so when people say that they never used it on guitars with tone knobs, they meant that they never lowered it from 10??
Yes. Not too uncommon especially in heavier styles where a really bright pickup signal is desirable because it keeps the tone from getting muddy when you dump tons of distortion on it.
the point is it's a simple easy to use set up , 1 volume knob and that's it .... no big deal if you have a EQ and/or a amp with EQ , you just adjust your sound with the amp ...... there are many people that just turn the tone knob up and never touch it again
Truth be told, a LOT of guitar players never touch their volume OR their tone knobs; they'll dime both and make adjustments with the volume knob on their pedals, on the amp, or on a specifically set up volume pedal. Certainly that's true for a lot of players and their tone knobs, so rather than have it in the way, they'll simply eliminate it.
I never touch the tone knobs, either. In fact, I've been looking for a solid guitar that just has one volume knob and a bridge pickup exclusively. Don't judge me!!
Everyone seems to want better tone so I don't know why you'd want to turn it down

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Mar 7, 2015,
Do it like Nile does and remove even volume knob and wire the bridge pickups directly to the jack. According to them even volume knob causes tone loss.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 7, 2015,
Quote by Unispex
I never touch the tone knobs, either. In fact, I've been looking for a solid guitar that just has one volume knob and a bridge pickup exclusively. Don't judge me!!

here's mine

That was the one point that once made me hesitate to buy the Charvel that I bought a month ago: no tone knob. But then, how often do I use it? Almost never. Only when I want to do some mellow lead (Les Paul, neck pickup, tone down... oh that cream), but I very rarely do that, and if I want to the odd time or two, I can still dig out one of my older guitars for those few moments.

And as others mentioned, a tone knob will slightly "tone down" even if it's on 10, so I actually installed a bypass switch on my Gibson that bypasses both volume and tone to get maximum output. It doesn't make that much of a difference, but if you want your sound very direct and in-your-face, it does make it a bit better.
Quote by MaaZeus
Do it like Nile does and remove even volume knob and wire the bridge pickups directly to the jack. According to them even volume knob causes tone loss.

You aren't going to find a potentiometer on any guitar that goes down to zero ohms resistance.
So you are never going to get 100% of the signal through.
for example, on a 100k pot, even maxed (theoretically zero ohms resistance) , you are still going to have about 1.5k ohms resistance.
And yes, I have tested that, but I only did a large sample (50 of them) test with 100k pots.
You could get high precision pots that might actually go down to zero ohms, but those would cost quite a bit more.

I forget, but one of the guys in either Judas Priest or Iron Maiden has a guitar wired to bypass the tone knob.

On my Les Paul, bridge tone is at 10, neck tone is at 2.
On everything else, it varies, but most of the time, its at or near 10.
Depends on what I'm going for.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 7, 2015,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
pfft only wankers make use of their tone pots.

especially les paul players.

What in the world are you talking about? What difference does it make what kind of guitar you have?
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
What in the world are you talking about? What difference does it make what kind of guitar you have?

Sense of humor. You should try one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I play metal and I still find a lot of use for my tone knobs, but if you are just chord bashing or playing Cannibal Corpse then you probably don't need one. Hell, most of the time you could get by without one, but where's the fun in that? I'm a guitar player, I love fiddling with shit.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Let's try it the other way round:

I'm playing aggressive metal stuff, why would I need a tone knob that I never use but that drains some of the guitar's tone even if on 10? That adds unnecessary parts? And if I'm really into more extreme metal stuff, why have an expensive neck pickup that I'll never use? That's the reason why there are dedicated no-frills guitars like the ESP M-II with just one bridge pickup and a volume.
When I played live I'd have to say I didn't get a chance to tweak the tone from the guitar as we played some fast intricate stuff and could only switch patches as I was singing on top of that. For the most part in metal I'd have to say I pretty much only used tone control when in the studio.

The thing is that as an easy mod you can get push/pull volume pot and wire the switch to disable the tone or all electronics, I think Adrian Smith has that wired in.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
pfft only wankers make use of their tone pots.

especially les paul players.

yeah Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and me all wankers for sure (but i don't play a les paul so i hope that makes me slightly less of a wanker )
Quote by GuitarNewbee
Whats the point of guitars with no tone knob?

it's just a minimalist approach, many people don't use the tone knob anyway. i got rid of both the tone knobs on my strat and set up a 2 knob strat where both knobs control volume.

but specifically for death metal? it has pretty much already been answered, but it's because you usually don't mess with the tone knob on heavier music and it bypasses whatever small resistance the pot provides as well.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Roc8995
Sure you can.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-No-Load-250K-Split-Shaft-Potentiomenter-H74365-i1907216.gc

or you can take a regular pot apart and scrape off the trace graphite at the very end to open the circuit.

Not common, but readily available.

I stand semi-corrected.
Thats a new one on me.
Although in my defense I did say:
You could get high precision pots that might actually go down to zero ohms, but those would cost quite a bit more.
And an $8.99 pot is more than the usual $2.50 or so for a pot.
But that $8.99 may be normal price for GC, kinda like Radioshack prices are/were.
But I dunno, I don't buy my guitar parts from GC, just like I don't buy pedal parts from Radioshack.
If I did, I would have to sell something like an LPB1 for $400 (If I had the word "Dumble" in the name somewhere I could probably get away with it) to make a profit.

I do have a pair of these in my Les Paul:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Push-Pull-DPDT-Pot-500K-Audio-Genuine-Alpha-Quality_p_647.html
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 7, 2015,
i have a Gibson SG that i took everything off of except for one switch for each pickup .both pickups together are pretty badass. chunky as hell.

i use them on some blues setups, but that is on LP's only. the other is with the bridge pickup on my tele on rare occasion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i can definitely see the advantage for heavier styles of music. however, with my setup i do use the tone knob a lot. i have an out of phase switch, and it sounds eslecially good with the tone knob on zero. the out of phase tone is very trebly anyways, so its a nice counter balance.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
No tone control? I'm seriously considering building a slide guitar with neither volume or tone. One pup wired straight to the jack
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No tone control? I'm seriously considering building a slide guitar with neither volume or tone. One pup wired straight to the jack

unless you have a switch that you can turn the volume pedal off on every rig, you would at least want a switch. but if you are always going to be running into a volume pedal or muting tuner.

i did straight to the jack and it got to be a pain because if i wanted to be able to mute it on other rigs of mine that don't have a tuner in front.

food for thought. i doubt you would lose much with a switch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I always have a tuner pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

I have three. Not where they are when I need them
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard

Off topic, but are you going to get the abbey up again?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yeah, one day.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't think I've ever used my tone knob, no matter the genre. I really don't see the point - I'd just EQ the amp differently if I wanted a less bright tone, or I'd switch to the neck pickup.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't think I've ever used my tone knob, no matter the genre. I really don't see the point - I'd just EQ the amp differently if I wanted a less bright tone, or I'd switch to the neck pickup.

its nice on NMV amps sometimes, when i get the jtm45 or the 18w turned up, its more useful. but other than that it doesn't get a ton of attention.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I never use my tone pots. I'm about to rewire a Les Paul three pickup Black Beauty to use one of the tone pots to control the volume on the middle pickup and just have on tone pot and three volumes. I get enough tone changes just from pickup selection and where I am picking the strings. (I love the deep tone you get picking just over the end of the fret board. Great for some leads.)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Because why have something on your guitar that you'll never use?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee