Hi guys,
So I've been saving my money up to getting one and it's almost time! My budget is 2000 - 2300 euros. Note that where I live I can't try them out😔 I'll be ordering it on Thomann.de and don't want to buy used. Theres so many models it gets confusing so I hope your guys can help here's what I'd like.
Cherry sunburst, thick neck, weight relief, coil tapping.

The standard ticks most of the boxes but it has a thin neck😱 I can live with a thin neck but like a thick one better. You can't have everything I guess. I've been looking at the les paul 2014 standard and traditional (the 2015 cost 800 more!!) wondered if theirs anyOther models out their to check out. What do you thing of this
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
When it comes to Gibsons, even their "thin" necks are usually not that thin. No Ibanez and Jackson style paper thin necks here.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
When it comes to Gibsons, even their "thin" necks are usually not that thin. No Ibanez and Jackson style paper thin necks here.

Gotta say, I agree with TS on this one.

I've got a few Gibsons, and have owned several others over the years (as well as playing dozens in shops). I like the 50s profile neck, but never feel comfortable playing the 60s slim taper profile.

I know it's only a millimetre or two, but that's enough to make a difference.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks also my bro has a epiphone les paul custom does that have a slim taper neck?
According to this, yes:
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

However, I don't know how often Epiphone change the spec of their guitars, so it's possible things have changed since he bought it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My brother also got a Gibson Sg standard from 2011-12 has that got a slim taper neck ?
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Mar 7, 2015,
Quote by Guitar137335
My brother also got a Gibson Sg standard from 2011-12 has that got a slim taper neck ?

It might, those came with the 50's and 60's necks but I have seen more with the 60's than the 50's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the new specs for gibson necks is a bit of a change from the necks we think of prior to 2014-2015.

they are wider now. and it's very noticeable when you play one. not fatter, wider from the top of the fretboard to the bottom. over 1.75 iirc.

more than ever, gibson is a try before you buy brand for sure.

that headstock tax is going crazy as well. henry must need a lot of new shoes.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Make sure you are aware of the pickups you are getting on the particular model. I have played both the 57 classics and the 490R and 498T combination. They are different. One set may appeal to your style of playing more than the other.

As the other posters have said, the neck sizes are important too. You should get the exact guitar you want. LPs are expensive and many people keep them for life.
Quote by Guitar137335
Thanks also my bro has a epiphone les paul custom does that have a slim taper neck?

it has a '60s slim-taper' type neck - always had
Thanks I'll test the 60s neck out then. What are the main differences between the 57 classics pickups and 490 r and 498t?
With your budget I'd go used Custom Shop.
Moving on.....
Quote by Guitar137335
Thanks I'll test the 60s neck out then. What are the main differences between the 57 classics pickups and 490 r and 498t?

I will try to explain my perception of the differences. Sound and playability can be subjective....

I personally find the 57 classics to be smoother. They distort in a smooth fashion and seem to be easier for me to play in general. The distortion blossoms in a smooth fashion and takes more gain to become "jagged" or "cutting" for lack if a better term. On my traditional pro II they sound somewhat brighter than the 490s on my 92 Les Paul Standard. However, remember the two guitars themselves are somewhat different considering neck thickness and weight relief.

The 490s on my Les Paul Standard are more aggressive sounding to me. The guitar in general has a deeper voice and a deeper, darker tone. Again, it is a different guitar, so you have to consider more than one factor, but the pickups certainly play a role. I think these pickups come closer to the target in heavy hard rock/metal in my personal opinion.

Between these two guitars, I find the traditional pro II easier to play, but I find the Les Paul Standard with the 490s to have the better absolute tone when I hit the target as a player. When I am able to rise up and hit the target on the standard, the tone is incredible. It takes more work however, and sometimes I fail. When I do, my mistakes are more apparent.

Hope that helps. Your experience may vary.
I've tried the 60s neck and like it so might get standard.

Another question on gibsons page the cherry sunburst looks so dark http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2014/Les-Paul-Standard.aspx
It is like that in person? Cause all the videos on YouTube looks much brighter and on images , I know they are all slightly diffiernt but do they go that dark?
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Mar 7, 2015,
Also do Thomann set up the guitars? As theirs no place where I live.
Quote by Guitar137335
Also do Thomann set up the guitars? As theirs no place where I live.

No they don't.

Try the guitar and if it needs a little set-up you might hop on a train and go to the closest big city and set up a time you can take the guitar in and have it worked on. But it might not even need to be set-up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they don't.

That is just misinformation !

They do it on all guitars, from the cheap ones up to the expensive ones.....
Quote by Guitar137335

I own a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom and a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom. The Epi has a thinner neck, but you can easily make an Epiphone just as / or more lethal than a Gibson.