I've been playing guitar for years but I've come across something I can't quite explain, I don't know if it's a certain technique or amp setting but I've heard it in a few songs, my favorite use is in the solo of Without You by Hinder, it's just really bright and high pitched ringing on the high notes, it doesn't quite sound like vibrato, I don't think it's chorus either but if anyone could help me figure it out I would greatly appreciate it! It's in the solo and towards the end as well on the short lead guitar riffs
It would help if you could link what part of the song you're actually talking about.. I'm kind of just listening to the song with no idea what I'm looking for. From what I hear in the song though there's no unusual tones. Aside from a tubescreamer which almost every artist uses I can't imagine there's anything else out of the ordinary. You might want to do some research in to what gear they use. More importantly - what gear are you using?
Yeah, there's nothing in that song that's not a typical distorted lead tone. Bridge pickup, humbucker, any amp with a decent gain channel, probably at like 5-6/10 gain, with a tubescreamer or similar drive pedal out front. There might have been a couple quick pinch harmonics in the solo. But maybe that was just high notes and bends.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I read that they do use a tube screamer but I wasn't sure they used it in that song, any way to get close to that tone with a regular distortion pedal?
Quote by pratliff
I read that they do use a tube screamer but I wasn't sure they used it in that song, any way to get close to that tone with a regular distortion pedal?

None of this matters right now. What matters A LOT more is what amp and guitar are you using?
A Les Paul Standard through a Hughes and Kettner triplex, I have 4 pedals, Cry baby, DOD death metal distortion fx86B, DeltaLab Rd 1 distortion pedal and a danelectro fab chorus pedal. I'm trying to save to buy a tube screamer but money is tight right now
You should be able to get a serviceable tone for that out of what you have. Try your RD1 with the gain at like 1 or 2 o clock and the tone pretty high. Maybe just a teeny bit of that chorus, too. Also, for the real high sounding parts, try engaging your wah, but not necessarily moving it. Just turn it on and leave it pretty far forward in the toe position. Makes a cool trebley tone.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
You should be able to get a serviceable tone for that out of what you have. Try your RD1 with the gain at like 1 or 2 o clock and the tone pretty high. Maybe just a teeny bit of that chorus, too. Also, for the real high sounding parts, try engaging your wah, but not necessarily moving it. Just turn it on and leave it pretty far forward in the toe position. Makes a cool trebley tone.

Alright lol I'll try that, I've been completely clueless to how to get that tone for months haha. Do you know what amp settings might help? Like alot of Treble and low Bass or something like that?
I like to plug my guitar into my amp and then change the settings until I find a sound that I like.
I eat.... therefore i'm fat.
If you want to search for a tone, start by having a flat EQ, meaning putting high, med and lows at 12'o clock.

NEXT, start adjusting the gain. When your gain is at the desired level, THEN, you set the eq.

That being said, Hinder seems to use Mesa Dual Rec with, indeed, an overdrive (Maxon or Ibanez). Keep in mind that you are trying to reproduce the tone of a tube amp and and overdrive with a solid state and a distortion. That's kinda like trying to get the track time of a Lambo with a Toyota Corolla, you might have a hard time reaching it!

BTW: Read this, might help:
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/Tone-Tips/capturing-mark-kings-hinder/
Last edited by t1mman at Mar 9, 2015,
Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it lol I hope I can get that tone soon!