I've just finished recording a few songs with my symphonic death metal band, with a Neumann kms 105 (It's a live mic, i know), with pretty good results, but I need a few tips on how to make it sound HUGE in the mix. Right now, it's a pretty basic chain, a simple eq, compressor, deesser and a delay. But still not enough.. tips?
Do you have any examples of songs that have the huge vocal sound that you want to emulate? Usually multi tracking vocals and panning them out well across the stereo spectrum will give you a big wide sound. The singing has to be tight. Get the vocals to sit snugly in the mix and then raise the volume a smidge more. Being reserved with reverb and delay will make the vocals sound more in your face. That usually works for me anyway
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Metal vocals require lots of compression. Smashing them with 2-3 compressors is not uncommon.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You can try the 3 track method. First you need to copy your lead vocals on two new tracks so you have 3 tracks of the same vox. Pan line hard left, the other hard right, one center. Center is your main so treat with compression, eq and verb on an aux, verb mixed to taste, but basically mild enough as to where you hear it is too much.Then the two side vocals you need to detune 0.05 cents sharp on one side and same amount flat on the other side and mix under the main vox. You can bus all three to the same bus and put MiLD compressor to tighten the whole thing up.
Ok, ok, so we only did 1 take, so can't double track.. As for the compression, I used some of the izotope ozone's presets (I am not very comfortable with tweaking compressors). Some bands with HUGE vocals in my opinion are Fleshgod apocalypse, septicflesh, amon amarth, maybe wintersun.

Quote by diabolical
You can try the 3 track method. First you need to copy your lead vocals on two new tracks so you have 3 tracks of the same vox. Pan line hard left, the other hard right, one center. Center is your main so treat with compression, eq and verb on an aux, verb mixed to taste, but basically mild enough as to where you hear it is too much.Then the two side vocals you need to detune 0.05 cents sharp on one side and same amount flat on the other side and mix under the main vox. You can bus all three to the same bus and put MiLD compressor to tighten the whole thing up.

I might also try this method... Do you have any sample/demo where I can hear what the result sounds like?
There is also the multiple compressor tweak you can try, running 3-4 different paralel compressors.

If you feel like it - PM me a dropbox link or soundcloud link with one track being the music and one the vocal soloed, I'll run through a few ideas if you want.