Hi im in need of a guitar to play at church i need an electric acoustic and my budget is $300-$400 ... My two options are ibanez pf15ece and yamaha f310... they are both the same price... I heard that yamaha is the better of the two but the ibanez is an electric acoustic.. Would i be better off buying a yamaha and a pickup or the ibanez? Tnx sorry if i sounded confusing @.@
Any chance you can play them at a local store?

You can always add a pickup to the Yamaha, but if it's not in the budget, then you're kind of locked in. Your other option is to purchase a used guitar. Going used will get you a lot more guitar for the money.

You also need to consider that the pickup and preamp on an inexpensive acoustic may not be very good. Make sure that the store has a decent return policy, in case you need to return it.
Quote by 13616
Hi im in need of a guitar to play at church i need an electric acoustic and my budget is $300-$400 ... My two options are ibanez pf15ece and yamaha f310... they are both the same price... I heard that yamaha is the better of the two but the ibanez is an electric acoustic.. Would i be better off buying a yamaha and a pickup or the ibanez? Tnx sorry if i sounded confusing @.@
In all honesty, you could buy a Yamaha FGX-700 SC, for $300.00. That model line is well thought of, and that is a full size dreadnought with a solid top.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar/h74858000002000

That Ibanez is a gold plated turd. It's a laminated flame maple top, which is mostly an appearance gimmick.

However, its preamp system is top notch, (in it's price class). It has an XLR output which you can plug directly into the mic input of any mixing board. You wouldn't need an amp.

I wouldn't bother with the Yamaha F-310. While many advanced players, (and their very expensive guitars), often opt for choosing their own pickup and preamp systems, it isn't terribly practical in the price range we're discussing. I think this particular Yamaha is a laminated spruce top. And it definitely isn't worth forcing an aftermarket pickup system on it.

In some ways, the Ibanez could be looked at as a "best choice for the intended usage", in that it's ready to be amped up, and it's designed with just that usage in mind.

It could be easily argued however, that its unplugged performance would likely be a tad boxy, bright and brittle, as maple really isn't a good choice of tone wood for a guitar top.

So, of the two options you've shown, the Ibanez is a reasonable "plug and play" choice.

PS: I definitely don't understand where you're getting only the two options you've listed, with an absolute budget of $400.00 dollars....
A laminate top usually doesn't vibrate as well as a solid top, so I have to wonder how much the thin layer of maple actually contributes to the sound.

I kind of wondered the same thing myself - there are several other choices in that price range.
I looked at Ibanez a few years ago and honestly never found an acoustic I liked. Their electrics are often pretty sweet but not acoustics especially at low price points. Yamaha is the opposite where most acoustics are pretty good and some are very good.

Yamaha
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by KG6_Steven
A laminate top usually doesn't vibrate as well as a solid top, so I have to wonder how much the thin layer of maple actually contributes to the sound.
In all reality, even solid maple doesn't make a good acoustic top. I love it for B& S though. A laminated maple instrument still sounds like a maple instrument. As near as I can figure, the surface reflection contributes the majority of a wood's characteristic sound. In the case of a laminate guitar, which indeed 'doesn't vibrate very far', the longer wave length vibrations are the lower frequencies which are being filtered out. Which can only unmask the existing brightness of the wood.

Through, 'no fault of my own' I own 2 all laminate Ibanez'. Both are jumbo, one is spruce, the other ash. The all spruce guitar is 'laid back', and not particularly resonant. That gives of its best with 80/20 strings. It's actually quite pleasant sounding, likely owing to the big body. The ash, (ash is close to as hard as maple), gets quite bright with a fresh set of strings, and I couldn't picture stringing it with anything but PB.

A few people with better guitars have come through here saying, "I was playing an Ibanez which was shit, but when I plugged it in, it was like the guitar stepped into a phone booth and came out with an "S" on its shirt.

That sort of holds true with my two. Many of Ibanez preamps work on two AA pen cells, while the ash guitar takes a 9 volt battery, it has the sweetest sounding onboard chorus. Both instruments have XLR outs.

So, as long as we're discussing this particular Ibby with live performance in mind,it doesn't seem too bad an option.

On a side note, I owned a Guild jumbo maple 12 string. Those guitars have laminated backs as a matter of necessity, since they have a shaped back, similar in design to a violin back. You could certainly tell the guitar was maple bodied. Gibson's ES-335 has a lam maple top for different reasons. When they put solid tops on them, people complained about too much feedback.

Quote by KG6_Steven
yamaha f310I kind of wondered the same thing myself - there are several other choices in that price range.
Hopefully the TS will enlighten us on that.

Quote by Cajundaddy
I looked at Ibanez a few years ago and honestly never found an acoustic I liked. Their electrics are often pretty sweet but not acoustics especially at low price points. Yamaha is the opposite where most acoustics are pretty good and some are very good.

Yamaha
As I said above, Ibanez' amplified performance is at the very least quite decent. Unplugged, granted it's meh. I'm only attaching that statement to their full size, deep body acoustics. They have a ton of garbage in the way of thin body instruments.The entire "Talman " line for example, is trash.

Their "AEG" style guitar, (basically a mini jumbo), is "optimized to prevent feedback". Of course, you have to engineer out certain frequency bands to accomplish that. That said, I wouldn't touch those guitars with a ten foot pole, if I were going to mostly play acoustic. Unplugged, they sound like cardboard.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 8, 2015,
Quote by Captaincranky
In all honesty, you could buy a Yamaha FGX-700 SC, for $300.00..

PS: I definitely don't understand where you're getting only the two options you've listed, with an absolute budget of $400.00 dollars....

Hi there im an absolute begginer and had my friends recommend these guitars to me .. Tnx for the suggestions.. However i live in seattle and went to the shop recently and found that fg 700s are $450 am i being ripped off?
Quote by 13616
Hi there im an absolute begginer and had my friends recommend these guitars to me .. Tnx for the suggestions.. However i live in seattle and went to the shop recently and found that fg 700s are $450 am i being ripped off?

That price appears to be quite high.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/guitars/acoustic-electric-guitars/yamaha/fgx-series/fgx700sc/?gclid=CJudm_jKmMQCFUY8gQodboAABQ
Quote by 13616
Dude, I posted a link to the Yamaha in post #3. It's $299.95 on a day to day sell. (That's "MAP", "minimum advertised price", on the instrument). From time to time you could get a better price, but you'd need to call. M'sF has free shipping (UPS Ground), and no sales tax in most states.

So, where have you been hanging out, "Highwayman Music"?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 8, 2015,
I've seen and played some very ordinary Ibs in my mate's store, and some models have had structural issues. I would certainly avoid anything with cosmetic flim-flam like fancy veneered tops, so my vote would go to plain-vanilla Yamaha, just based on their rock-solid reputation.

That Yamaha in the link looks good, - solid top, Gibson-style sunburst.
Last edited by Tony Done at Mar 8, 2015,
Since you live in the Seattle area, if you're ever in the market to play or buy a quality acoustic, there's a nice shop in Fremont called Dusty Strings
My God, it's full of stars!
Recommended threads
Ibanez PF15
Rude Mood
Last post:
by Kartman