Pretty much exactly what it says in the title - could you put a trapeze tailpiece on an SG and how bad an idea would it be? The obvious issue would be the angle over the bridge, since it's a flat top, but since the bridge is higher than your average Jaguar bridge I imagine it'd still be workable?

Specifically, this kind of thing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/141259027627?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'd say it's probably possible, you could try it by unscrewing the strap button, and screwing it back on using the trap button as an anchor for the trapeze tailpiece, so that way, if it doesn't work, no harm done, and you can return it
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Pretty much exactly what it says in the title - could you put a trapeze tailpiece on an SG and how bad an idea would it be? The obvious issue would be the angle over the bridge, since it's a flat top, but since the bridge is higher than your average Jaguar bridge I imagine it'd still be workable?

It's doable, but why?
Quote by dspellman
It's doable, but why?

About 20% because I like the slinkiness on my Jaguar, 80% because I think it'd look pretty sweet.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Explorerbuilder
This isnt going to make it feel more "slinky"
Your jaguar feels that way because it is a shorter scale.

Both. I'm well aware of the scale length's effect, but having experimented with the tailpiece height on the aforementioned Epiphone I'm quite certain that break angle has an effect of some significance, if not a massive one. Mainly I'm thinking a £10 mod to make a guitar with little remaining resale value look cooler isn't such a bad deal.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Sure if you like having the tailpiece studs exposed with your new tailpiece. Classy look I tell you.

Why don't you just get a Maestro or do the Derek Trucks mod with one if you're really going that route? I'd imagine those wouldn't need half as much fitting as the ones you linked considering they're made specifically for SGs anyway.

Maestro Vibrola assembly:

Derek Trucks mod (removal of tremolo portion )

Either way, if you're doing this for anything other than cosmetics you will most likely be disappointed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 9, 2015,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Sure if you like having the tailpiece studs exposed with your new tailpiece. Classy look I tell you.

Not something that bothers me but a fair comment, this really is a bit of a pissing-around idea.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Why don't you just get a Maestro or do the Derek Trucks mod with one if you're really going that route? I'd imagine those wouldn't need half as much fitting as the ones you linked considering they're made specifically for SGs anyway.

Trapeze tailpieces are a lot cheaper in the places I've looked.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Either way, if you're doing this for anything other than cosmetics you will most likely be disappointed.

Probably true.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
There might be an electrical ground wire that goes to the bridge or tailpiece post. You will need to find a way to ground the strings when you put the trapeze tailpiece on and remove the stud tailpiece.
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Mar 9, 2015,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Both. I'm well aware of the scale length's effect, but having experimented with the tailpiece height on the aforementioned Epiphone I'm quite certain that break angle has an effect of some significance, if not a massive one. Mainly I'm thinking a £10 mod to make a guitar with little remaining resale value look cooler isn't such a bad deal.

Break angle really only has significance if the strings are touching the back of the bridge. Beyond that, you have to snort the cork very hard to detect a change.

And "cooler" is in the eye of the beholder. My personal WTF Meter would be going off if I were looking at a trapeze tacked onto the bottom of an SG over a pair of holes left from a standard tailpiece.
Yeah, my general feeling at this point is if I decide I'd like to do it it still wouldn't really be worth the effort or cash I could be spending on other stuff. If I ever get famous I'll be sure to do it and mention in interviews how it improves the tone, though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22