I'm looking to getting into vinyl for better audio quality, and reading about I'm still a little bit confused about how speakers work with turntables. Do you need to get a specific type of speakers, or do normal types. I currently use M-Audio BX5s, which have XLR inputs, which I connect to my laptop with an XLR to jack cable. Would these speakers work with a normal turntable?
(This is probably the turntable I'm going to get btw http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00INZ1XCI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=WIIXTWPR6IO8&coliid=I36CGGB89MN4AZ)
Thanks
buy the speakers, plug them into your computer, throw the plastic discs in the trash, and now you have audio quality
i don't know why i feel so dry
As someone from the time when there was nothing else...... The turntable is an input device for your amplifier. Currently, you can buy turntables which are input devices for your computer.
Used to be you plugged whatever speaker you could afford (The bigger the better!) into your amp and there ya go.
Now, whatever peripheral speakers you use for your computer should work.... Nicer powered systems with a separate bass amplifier should work well.
If you have an added-on sound card, you can adjust your output there with the card's software... Most will have a built-in tool for graphic equalizer or ambience.

Be aware that your new vinyl record collection will require care in handling. They are very easy to damage and tend to get filled with dust and micro-particles. Keep the needle in your turntable in tip-top condition (diamond is best) and keep it clean.
I always used one of those little dust-brushes which catch dust before it gets to the needle.

Finally.....I know this is a big fad now and that "audiophiles" have maintained their treasured vinyl collections for years. I abandoned mine as soon as CDs became generally available and never looked back. If there's a subtle difference in audio quality and frequency response I certainly can't hear it and I'll wager that in a blind test the vast majority of audiophiles can't either. It's the "snob factor" at work.

Remember, these are the folks that claim to hear the difference in high-end connecting cables....Yet in a blind test could not differentiate between those vastly-expensive cables and common hardware-store wire.
If you want better audio quality, skip vinyl. And that's coming from someone who used to spend more on a replacement cartridge than that turntable you linked. That 'warmth' that people think equates better audio quality is distortion. More distortion is poorer audio quality.
I am a vinyl fan and probably have 1000 albums, 45s, 78s. Two ways to connect a turntable to powered speakers:

1. Turntable with USB output > computer > audio interface > speakers

2. Turntable with RCA connectors > Audio interface with RIAA phono preamp > computer > interface > speakers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_%28Damien_Rice_album%29

I have a vintage Phillips turntable so I use the phono preamp but both will work. A quality turntable and interface makes a big difference.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
where's will when u need em
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
i don't own a turntable for sound quality. i own it to play records.

i own records because some bands i listen to still do vinyl releases that come with a digital download.

and some stuff i listen to can only really be found on vinyl. trust me, i've tried finding downloads.

hipsterpost.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by gunnersandmash
I'm looking to getting into vinyl for better audio quality

That's like looking into a Bambenga village for a Tight End.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.