I have a guitar and piano lying around and i've finally decided to actually learn how to play them. In a general sense, i'd ideally like to learn how to play both and write and compose my own music.

My starting question is...How do i get started? Live lessons will be important right? But is there any place on the internet who has comparable, high quality lesson frameworks as well? A quick Google search took me to a place like Artistworks, is this place any good?

Basically, what are the tips on lessons/places to go to that you can share? Thanks.
Nothing will ever be quite as good as face-to-face lessons with a competent teacher. But there are a few places that I think are still pretty good online. For learning how to play guitar, I recommend www.justinguitar.com. There's a lot of good lessons on there. Since you want to learn to compose you own music, I also suggest you learn music theory at www.musictheory.net. Music theory is not necessarily a requirement for writing your own music, but it is very beneficial and there's really no reason not to learn it.

As for playing piano, I can't give you any advice. I started learning piano when I was 3, which was before the internet was mainstream. So I haven't had to look for online lessons.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Justin guitar is very good for lessons,I been following his lesson for months.
Iam learning 5 months and iam still far from any good lol it takes years
To become a good player
Last edited by Tazz3 at Mar 8, 2015,
Quote by Vodersauce
I have a guitar and piano lying around and i've finally decided to actually learn how to play them. In a general sense, i'd ideally like to learn how to play both and write and compose my own music.

My starting question is...How do i get started? Live lessons will be important right? But is there any place on the internet who has comparable, high quality lesson frameworks as well? A quick Google search took me to a place like Artistworks, is this place any good?

Basically, what are the tips on lessons/places to go to that you can share? Thanks.

Put some serious thought into what music you want to play with the guitar.

1) Do you want to sing along to songs while you play chords? Bob Dylan, campfire songs, folk music, acoustic pop songs?

2) Shred metal on the electric guitar like Yngwie or Paul Gilbert?

3) Play electric blues like SRV or Clapton?

4) Acoustic blues?

5) Fingerstyle guitar? Flatpicking bluegrass?

Etc.

Figure out your goal first. Then go from there. Your goal will determine your approach.

You get good at what you play/practice. The guitar is specific in that way. Your better off if you concentrate on one thing.

You can learn to play the guitar yourself. And piano too.

With piano you learn simple songs and melodies and progress to more difficult ones. You can also learn chords and sing along to them (pop piano).

You progress at your own pace. You have to enjoy the journey and process.
Last edited by Virgman at Mar 9, 2015,
There are lots of great instructional book / CD packs out there as well today for every style of music. The better ones start you off with easy stuff and gradually move into more advanced stuff; they teach you lead and rhythm techniques along with a bit of theory, and give you songs to learn as you progress.

Of course for every good one there are several not-so-good ones that aren't organized well and aren't very comprehensive. Go to Amazon and read some reviews and "look inside" the book, that should help you choose something.
Thanks for the replies everyone. Right now i'm on Justinguitar, and it seems to have near universal praise so ill see how this goes and maybe i can ask further questions on this thread, thanks.
Hello again. Maybe i can get some tips/advice based on the following

So far i've been practicing every day since the last time i posted (3 weeks). If you take the average from all the days, then i've been practicing for about an hour and a half daily, although my goal is usually two hours.

I've been using Justinguitar and am currently in the latter parts of stage 3. I've been practicing my posture(trying not to bend my back too much but also trying to be comfortable), keeping the thumb behind the neck (although tend to consistently have to check to maintain it correctly placed), not letting any part of my palm touch the neck, trying to maintain a consistent wrist, my fingers are now more used to the playing and feels like im playing on a pillow compared to beginning (although i have my doubts if i should still try to play a little higher up the tips although i'm not really having problems), i'm also playing with both legs/knees on same height (i started with my right leg usually over the left as it was one of the recommended postures by justin, but i noticed many people on youtube either only lifted the heels of their right foot from the floor or just maintained their right leg at same height as left so i'm doing that now).

If i warm up I believe i can change between chords D,A,E like at around 40 cycles (2 note cycles) per minute (although not perfectly clean 100%) and if we include the minor versions of those 3 i can do about the same except when it comes to two specific changes, D minor to A and D minor to A minor. I am currently getting into the G and C changes.

If i am not very in sync with what i am doing, my thumb can tend to move up maybe too much, my fingers sometimes also shake and i can come across the problem of not hitting the strings on the marks on my fingers, making it an awkward feel and slowing me down. My back and shoulders can sometimes ache as well, maybe because of the strap but i dont think my shoulders or my back are being stretched all that much.

My practice has usually been consisting of foot tapping with the metronome at 60 bpm and either playing a bar of 4 for each chord or changing between a set of chords for each beat. I have refrained from including more time for songs because i see it as simply practicing chord changes anyways and have also not done enough of the transcribing thing. Many of Justin's beginner songs also include either a Capo or different rhythms/strumming techniques that he has not gone over so i find it counter intuitive to mix with that stuff yet. Maybe if i try to play some of my favorite songs with the chords i know, it can work for both transcribing and song playing along with rhythm all at the same time?

Also, for the C chord i believe Justin recommends to touch the sixth string with your second finger on the 5th but without bumping the 4th string, i should do it this way right? or just concentrate on putting the fingers cleanly?

I know it's quite a read, any thoughts? Thanks.
Last edited by Vodersauce at Mar 30, 2015,
basics first which usually means chords. being able to slap together 3 or more chords is tha basis for playing songs. when i was teaching i always started with the E chord and D then A. once you learn some chords and to make some changes then move on to more challenging stuff. figuring out where you want to go playing wise is a good idea but keep in mind that being a good guitar player means that you should be able to at least dable in styles other than your chosen one.
Hi there,

I have set up a website with free online guitar lessons which is a good place to start (martinguitar.com.au). I definitely also recommend finding a good guitar teacher who will keep you inspired and motivated!

Martin
I stand behind everyone with JustinGuitar for learning some of the basics online as well as finding a good, competent teacher in your area.

Also, as someone else mentioned, figure out what your goals are as a player. Do you just want to accompany singing? Do some intense "shred" guitar? Become a blues/rock machine? Each of them should entail you to learn the basics (open chords, barre chords, etc), and depending on what you want to do from there, go into your musical journey.
Skip the username, call me Billy