thinking of moving from Florida to Washington--any experiences with large moves?

Page 1 of 2
Hey fellas. I just had an epiphany a few days ago and I realized how much I've always wanted to live in Seattle. It just seems a more homier city to me and I'm just tired of living in Miami. It's too expensive to live by yourself here, I'm tired of the traffic and just tired in general of this location.

I currently study at Florida International University and have been thinking hard about transferring to the University of Washington. The thing is, ive never done anything like this. The idea alone terrifies me but im just looking for something new and exciting. It's not that my school is bad or anything, im just looking for a completely new environment.

Does anyone have any experience with big transfers? How did it work out for you? Any tips? My biggest concern is money--I have financial aid and a scholarship that pays for the entirety of my tuition and then some. Being out of state would triple the amount I would have to pay and I don't want student loans to be a big problem. I was thinking about applying for another scholarship but my grades aren't 3.5 gpa material so idk about that.
pinga
i can't contribute anything here, but i'm curious about this kind of thing.

i've heard good things about Portland. should i move to Portland?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Moving out of state right now would not be a good idea. Just wait until you finish school. And try and get a job post graduation in Washington after if there are even jobs in the field you are if you really want to live there. If you are already committed to the uni your at now there's no point in transferring.

If it's about weed(because there are actually tons of people who want to move out west soley for that) there's plenty of good shit in florida.
Last edited by Wormholes at Mar 8, 2015,
If all of your schooling is being paid for, I'd probably get the degree first and make the move when looking at career opportunities after graduation.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Doesn't the government give you financial aid according to the tuition you pay?

I was eating shit yesterday and looking at Yale's website. They have a financial aid calculator and the tuition was $63,000 but once I entered how much me and my parents earn, they said I wouldn't have to pay anything (according to the calculator anyway). So for example, the out-of-state tuition for UW is about $33,000 so wouldn't the government adjust it for that?

unless im talking out of my butt and I'd go massively in debt due to loans
pinga
Are you me
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Planes are scary.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Stay where you are until you finish school. FAFSA's probably only going to take you so far willingly locating to an out-of-state non-private university. Just take the good deal you've got and if you still want to move to Seattle when you graduate, do it. It'll still be there, I assure you. Well, ostensibly.
#DTWD
Haha, I made that exact move. Moved from South Florida to Washington

EDIT: Also, my wife went to and graduated from University of Washington Seattle. It's an amazing school, an amazing campus, and an amazing city. I recommend it.
My God, it's full of stars!
I moved from Florida to Washington. Then from Washington to Portland, OR. I moved back to Florida after a year. Both Washington and Oregon are beautiful places but you've gotta be financially secure to enjoy what they've got to offer. Just remember, the grass isn't greener on the other side simply waiting for you, it's green where you water it. I say go for it and have an adventure, but primusfan's advice is golden. Seattle is expensive. It, along with Portland and Austin (TX) have become cultural meccas for millennials.

/two cents

Edit: All in all, west coast is the best coast. I will be moving out there again in the future.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Last edited by Zaphikh at Mar 9, 2015,
For an opinion contrary to what I just posted, UW Seattle has very expensive out of state tuition and is very competitive for transfer students.

If you do get accepted, it will not be cheap. My wife was accepted, qualified for financial aid, and we still have 20k in debt.

However, what I said still stands.
Quote by Dreadnought
However, what I said still stands.

Seattle ****ing rocks. It was like living in a 90s HD film, but again, it costs serious $$$ to enjoy that life.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Damn. I've just always wanted to live in Seattle and figured going to school there/finding a job is the next obvious step for me. Would FAFSA really not cover most of it?

I'm also lost as to how boarding works. Out of state is 33k and board is an additional 10k. Is that covered under financial aid or does it come out of my own pocket? If its the latter looks like im staying my happy ass in FL
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Damn. I've just always wanted to live in Seattle and figured going to school there/finding a job is the next obvious step for me. Would FAFSA really not cover most of it?

I'm also lost as to how boarding works. Out of state is 33k and board is an additional 10k. Is that covered under financial aid or does it come out of my own pocket? If its the latter looks like im staying my happy ass in FL

Whatever you can't get covered by financial aid will have to be covered by other loans. Your financial aid will go towards your board, but you might not get enough to cover both tuition and dorm costs. In that case you will either have to get other loans or pay out of pocket. Even in-state I had to take out loans, and I received quite a bit of federal aid, so I'd imagine you would have to do the same.

Don't forget about scholarships as well.
So let's say, best case scenario my fed aid and scholarship are enough to cover both expenses or w/minimal loans. Do you guys still suggest recommend staying here?

I understand I have it comfortably with my tuition being paid at like 130% right now and it's great but I just feel like I want something more. I want a legit college experience.
pinga
Just apply for a transfer and see how much they tell you you'll have to pay.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
im bumping this just to vent

i called their office of admissions. they don't offer my major (or my minor) and i'd have to basically see if my credits would even transfer to an equivalent major. I study Public Administration and minor in Economics. we're off to a big fat mess already

they dont accept my math disability or substitution either, so in the miracle that I would get over the mess described above, I would have to do all their requisite math courses. not happening

aaaaaaaaand my GPA is not to their standard for transfers either. they usually only accept transfers with a 3.5 GPA.

in other words im too poor and stupid to attend UW
pinga
that's the worst/most ****ed up part about colleges/universities.

i really don't get how they can refuse to transfer credits from another accredited school.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Go to WSU instead. UW is just a place to study, not a place to have fun.

I live in Seattle now, and grew up by it, but for a college go to WSU, then as an adult and for a big boy job, go to Seattle. Plus, if money is your concern, go to WSU over UW. Also, look up something called the Seattle Freeze. You won't experience that at WSU, you will at UW. And did I mention the ladies?

I have very close friends at both schools.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Last edited by TSmitty6 at Mar 11, 2015,
^ lol at this guy trying to get you to go to WSU and live in the middle of shit hole eastern WA
If you want better academics, go to UW.

If you want a better time go to WSU.

It's not even comparable for fun. I'll concede campus, city, sports, food, and academics to UW.

All of that doesn't beat the fun, women (on average, there are a couple at UW), friendliness, and parties at WSU.

If that isn't your bag, go to UW.

I spent a year in the U district, and 2 at WSU. So, I like both places, just WSU was way funner.
i love parties, women, and alcohol as much as the next guy, I really do

but honestly, I live in Miami already. You really mean to tell me Pullman, WA has better parties and females than Miami? doubt it. and considering i was planning to go about 80k in debt, I was doing it mostly for the academics and environment. if i just wanted to party and drink, im in the best place for that already

and with my whole math disability, i dont think ANY university is going to make accommodations for me besides my own school.
pinga
UW Tacoma is still a good school, is easier to get into, and is also in a great city

And Seattle from Tacoma is like 30-40 minutes
Yeah I didn't think about Miami parties, I was mainly focusing on the cost of living thing.

I love Seattle. I'd say come up here once you are done. It's not worth 2 years for tons of debt. Maybe come up here for grad school. UW is a commuter school, so it sounds like you don't need the college environment.

There's nothing better than summer in the Northwest. 80 degrees, clean air, not humid. And if you like the outdoors, man, you have everything up here in the Cascades and the Columbia/Snake rivers.

Even the winter has been good here, lately. Never below freezing, 60 degree sun throughout Feb and March.
Quote by Dreadnought
UW Tacoma is still a good school, is easier to get into, and is also in a great city

And Seattle from Tacoma is like 30-40 minutes

Tacoma is not that cool of a city. 6th ave is ok.
Quote by TSmitty6
Tacoma is not that cool of a city. 6th ave is ok.

I don't think you know Tacoma that well.
with the math substitution, im staying in my school. I don't dislike my school so I'm not terribly upset about it I just wanted a change in cities mostly.

ill probably end up moving to Seattle when ive got a real job and im finished with school.
pinga
Quote by Dreadnought
What's your math disability?

its basically a severe math deficiency according to the psychologist that administered the examination. i had to take an IQ test and two other tests that I can't remember the name of. my reading and writing skills were well above average but my math skills were at a middle school level at best.

ive always hated math its like my brain just freezes up whenever i have to do anything algebra related. i was a business major but i had to switch out because the math requirements were eating me alive and there's no way i could ever pass calculus for business
pinga
Quote by metal4eva_22
But math is just flat-out logic.

Nope
Come to Tucson where we have cheap rent, meth, and not much else.

I went to Seattle once for a few days and thought it was amazing. I was bored while I was there because I was with my family but I thought it seemed like a pretty ideal place to live (acknowledging the downsides, but as far as downsides it's an ideal set of downsides if that makes sense. ).

No way in **** could I afford to go to university there or even just live there though so w/e. I don't know if that type of move is worth just for a new college environment /says the community college kid.

But if you really want it go for it but after you graduate for all the reasons you listed.
Quote by Dreadnought
I don't think you know Tacoma that well.

Tacoma smells like butts.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by jakesmellspoo
that's the worst/most ****ed up part about colleges/universities.

i really don't get how they can refuse to transfer credits from another accredited school.

$$$

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
$$$

I took advanced biochem and genetics classes only to be refused for the biochem and genetics 101 courses at a different school. If anyone says it's for another reason other than money then **** you, you're wrong.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
Quote by SGstriker
Tacoma smells like butts.

Maybe butts just smell like Tacoma

whoa
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Let's be honest here, ANYWHERE is better than Tropical Detroit...erm...Florida.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Vampire_State
Let's be honest here, ANYWHERE is better than Tropical Detroit...erm...Florida.

hence me willing to accept the 80k of debt just to get out of florida lol
pinga
Page 1 of 2