Page 1 of 3
i was once the sort of dude to swear by elements of style. i knew it was ridiculous but i insisted on it. i even recommended a friend get a copy when i personally didn't believe a word in it.

there's something fishy here. it wasn't the bible and i didn't go to the church of strunk&white. but nonetheless it somehow mattered to me just as correct english clearly matters to others, especially on the internet. i wonder why?

why do internet users get so irate when you end a sentence in a preposition?

why do they talk so badly about "ain't"?

why would they have cried out if i made the title of this thread "correct english grammer" rather than "correct english grammer, syntax, and usage"?

why did everyone bother getting so mad about "winston tastes good like a cigarette should"?

i'm not asking why these things are perceived to be mistakes. i'm asking why anyone cares. do you care? share you thoughts about "grammar naziism" and associated phenomena.*

*if i wrote "phenomenons" would that have bothered you?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Why don't you capitalize anything smh
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I have noticed your use of the Oxford comma in your title. Noted and treated with contempt, my friend.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
I have noticed your use of the Oxford comma in your title. Noted and treated with contempt, my friend.

this is at least regarded as a stylistic choice, yeah? why is not so for splitting infinitives or likewise? at least as news article commenters are concerned, it's strictly wrong and these days i'm trying to figure out wth that means
It's all about the "haha look how smart I am, internet". Something you're familiar with.
PM me for newts
I'm more a fan of, the Brockman comma
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

It's because some people want to feel superior over others, especially in an anonymous Internet setting. It's easy to say "haha you're dumb for not getting the grammar correct" than to let it go. Oftentimes others, I guess, genuinely get upset over such misspellings and grammar misuse but I, on the other hand, don't care.

The sentences above might be grammatically incorrect but idgf
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Eastwinn
this is at least regarded as a stylistic choice, yeah? why is not so for splitting infinitives or likewise? at least as news article commenters are concerned, it's strictly wrong and these days i'm trying to figure out wth that means

My university advised us in the department handbook not to split infinitives in our essays, but yeah, I think that's an archaic stylistic choice.

Same thing with the Oxford comma, I suppose. Not allowed at my uni but generally acceptable in formal writing in society.

Quote by eGraham
I'm more a fan of, the Brockman comma

I'm, more of a fan, of the, Walken, comma.

Or Stevie from Malcolm In The Middle's speech pattern.
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Mar 8, 2015,
"Not allowed at my uni"

but like what
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
"Not allowed at my uni"

but like what

My department* then (it was an essay-based subject)

Wouldn't like to generalise (I'm sure the Business department was a grammatical rule a la carte ), but we certainly had very precise grammatical rules. Many of which would seem archaic to most folk.

Not that I was any good at following them
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Mar 8, 2015,
Proscriptive grammar is stupid.

I'm kinda whatever about grammar and syntax. I'm no e.e. cummings, but I like a comfortable middle ground.
My God, it's full of stars!
It bothers me because it is just lazy. I mean, is it THAT difficult to hit shift at the start of a sentence? What comes off as an utter contempt for any effort or thought bothers me in any area of life, particularly driving. If they are a lazy writer they are likely a lazy driver and should promptly be buried without a headstone.

Short story: Bad grammar indicates laziness or thoughtlessness, both of which make me bro-mad
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
I don't understand the stigma against splitting infinitives, since I'm hearing about that for the first time. Can someone explain?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by SFosterS
It bothers me because it is just lazy. I mean, is it THAT difficult to hit shift at the start of a sentence? What comes off as an utter contempt for any effort or thought bothers me in any area of life, particularly driving. If they are a lazy writer they are likely a lazy driver and should promptly be buried without a headstone.

Short story: Bad grammar indicates laziness or thoughtlessness, both of which make me bro-mad

im so sorry u feel that way
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
A professor gave me that book years ago, fun read. I agree with most of it
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE

only pretentious nerds call it the oxford comma, it's a serial comma

OT: I'm more of an E.E. Cummings guy
Quote by Cianyx
I don't understand the stigma against splitting infinitives, since I'm hearing about that for the first time. Can someone explain?

the infinite of, say, "go", is supposedly to go as a unit. to split it would mean to shove an adverb between to and go like "to boldly go".

opposition appeared seemingly out of nowhere in the 19th century. the rule is presumably for making native english sound more like english translations of latin. in latin, the infinitive is inflected on the verb and there is no "to verb" construction.

had a book on this within arm's reach
I type the way I talk. I use grammar to articulate my ideas. I know that other folks aren't fond of doing this. I really don't care about what others' motives are for the way they type. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.
Quote by Eastwinn
the infinite of, say, "go", is supposedly to go as a unit. to split it would mean to shove an adverb between to and go like "to boldly go".

opposition appeared seemingly out of nowhere in the 19th century. the rule is presumably for making native english sound more like english translations of latin. in latin, the infinitive is inflected on the verb and there is no "to verb" construction.

had a book on this within arm's reach

I'm a bit jelly, what book is that

Although I don't correct or care about proscribed grammar, I do like knowing it
My God, it's full of stars!
it's called Bad English by Ammon Shea

pretty funny book. tries to be impartial at first, ends up being anti-proscription.
I don't care about people's grammar in informal settings unless they are trying to act superior or insist they are right about it.

My grammar in speech (my speech skills in general, actually, but that's not relevant) really suck because I am exposed to a number of different languages and dialects every day and they all creep in and mess with my English. Unless I am writing formally or interviewing or something like that, I don't bother trying to be "correct" because my manner of speaking is just as good as anyone else's.

PS if you are interested I'm reading a really good book about bilingualism now
cat
Quote by Eastwinn
tries to be impartial at first, ends up being anti-proscription.

Quote by guitarxo

That's one "bi" I am not curious about

(jk though, I'm actually very interested in speaking multiple languages and will soon pursue the study of them)

((But I'm still not interested in the book sorry))
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Oxford comma or die.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by USCENDONE BENE

Or Stevie from Malcolm In The Middle's speech pattern.

I feel like
tortilla
was talking
like Stevie the
whole time
but we just
never realized it
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I try to be as correct as possible, but it's not really bothersome when others say something "wrong" as long as that person can be easily understood.
Quote by guitarxo

for sure
but grammar matters sometimes....

If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
yeah it's interesting why it's such a big deal to some who aren't english teachers. people will be like "english is collapsing in front of us!!" as their go-to without really understanding what they mean. sure it does change meaning sometimes and more likely changes not so much the meaning of the sentence but how it's perceived (intelligent/not, friendly, formal, etc) but i think people being super picky about it in weird settings is based on a natural tendency to adhere to and enforce the rules they know while still seeming smart in the process. sometimes people think it's just kinda fun to correct people too. maybe you could make an argument for being unsettled at norms being broken or whatever lol /obnoxious paragraph

but i don't think both enforcing them and not abiding by the rules are a big deal generally, just don't get too crazy and we're cool
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Mar 9, 2015,
Quote by Eastwinn
for sure

Bilingual: life and reality by François Grosjean. This one is aimed at the layperson so it's a quick and easy read, and he has also written a more academic book on the same subject which I would like to read next.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 9, 2015,
Page 1 of 3