Yep, it's another 'what amp should I get?' thread (although this is my first ever post - go me!).

I'm looking to get one on a finance deal online, so probably no more than around a grand or slightly higher on price. Cab is a Laney 4x12 which has V30s (although I'm thinking of getting a new cab in the near future). I would be using this live, in rehearsals and lower volumes when I'm at home (a gain boost pedal will be needed in most occasions for this obviously).

The sound I'm looking for is that of Mastodon, Acid Bath, Cathedral, Torche, Down, Will Haven, Iron Monkey, Melvins, Crowbar etc etc.

So yeah one with lots of girth, density and wallop but with clarity and able to cut through the mix. My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro with BK Warpigs.

I've whittled it down to the following amps:

Orange TH100/OR100/Rockerverb 100
Laney Ironheart
Blackstar Series One (any of them)
Rivera KR100
Diezel D-Moll (can't afford Herbert/VH4)
Engl Powerball/Invader

The nearest guitar shop that would stock all these is bloody miles away so trying them out is quite a difficult task.

Any recommendations on these amps is most welcome as this has been doing my nut in for the past month or so!

Cheers
If you are looking for a sound similar to those bands, I'd suggest you go with Orange. Personally I have the CR120 but it is a completely analog solid state and I know these don't have an entirely positive reputation so I'd suggest the Rockerverb 100 MKII (which is basically the same amp but with tubes instead).
Ayy there
Laney AOR?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Laney VH100R. Bill from Mastodon used one on the Leviathan tour and recording Blood Mountain. I have one and hit those sounds and more perfectly. You'll likely have to buy used as I think new ones are well over a grand. But you can buy one used around $500 and have it serviced well within your budget.

Don't get the Ironheart, for those bands it's a completely different sound. More modern.

The Orange Thunder heads are another good option, but I personally thing they are overpriced

EDIT: I didn't see a specific money denomination but I am talking USD. But assuming off of your use of the word "bloody" I guess you're in England?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Mar 8, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
Ironheart would probably be best.

Laney historically makes Marshally amps, but the Ironheart is a completely different animal. Extremely modern sounding amp. Not the sound TS is looking for at all.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
A Rockerverb would suit you nicely, if you can find one in your price range. If not an AOR is a good option, though they aren't exactly the most reliable amps.

A Marshall JCM 2000 DSL is another great option.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Mar 9, 2015,
I vote Rockerverb. The Ironheart is a cool metal amp, but not really that kind of metal.
And I agree that a JCM2000 DSL would also do a good job.
jcm800 + boost, really
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Out of those your best bet is the OR100, however I think that modern Orange stuff is really overpriced and I'm not entirely convinced if I like how they sound.

I think you'd be better off with a Laney AOR100 or 50, they've got a huge amount of gain on tap with the perfect voicing for the kinds of music you're into, and that preamp gain means it'll work well at lower volumes.

Alternatively any of the older British voiced amps with heavy iron + a boost or fuzz (this is what i do), though this'll be seriously loud for the best tones (if you like to drive the power amp like me, also because old master volume controls are non-existent or rubbish).

I have a Selmer Treble n Bass that I love for noisey-sludge/post-everything. I also have an AOR30 which is great for practice and sits well in a full band mix.

I think the melvins used whacking great solid state amps, but I might be wrong.
I know Mastodon used the Orange Thunderverbs for quite a while, I would think that would be a better fit than the Rockerverb series. A bit more bass and thud in the Thunderverbs.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I love Mastodon but not really a fan of their guitar tones past Leviathan. I don't hate them, just don't really seem anything special to me. On Remission and Leviathan I think they used just Marshall with tube screamers, Brent a 2203 and Bill a 2205 (or 2210?). But they also used a lot of vintage Gibsons (some with SDs) which is a big part of the tone imo.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Cheers for the suggestions everybody.

@TheStig1214 - Yes indeed I am a limey bum!

The VH100R does look like a killer amp, but I already use a GH50L at the moment and I'm looking for something different, although Mastodon did use them on Remission which is a KILLER sound. Do they sound alright at lower volumes though?

For Marshall - a JCM 800 2203 would be a great option, but goddamn they are pretty expensive. Might have to wait on that methinks.

For Laney AOR, I've been perusing the eBays and Gumtrees for a long time and they seem pretty hard to come by. I'll keep an eye out though.

No words about the Rivera or Diezel? I know I said I was going for a 'sludgey' tone but really anything with a fair bit of clout that punches you in the chest would be great too. I've heard nothing but great things about the Rivera.

At the moment, I think the amp that is interesting me the most is the Orange OR100. Have seen some stunning demos, it sounds magnificent, has ability to go down to 30 watts for (slightly) lower volumes, it's more compact than other high gain heads, and as a bonus, it looks great! Rockerverb is not far behind. Thunderverb is beyond my budget by quite a bit.
For a more left field suggestion, maybe a Sunn Model T? Don't know if that would be too expensive though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
For a more left field suggestion, maybe a Sunn Model T? Don't know if that would be too expensive though.

That would be absolutely perfect. Can't find them anywhere though, plus I think they would be a bit too pricy. Greg Anderson used one of them with a RAT for that dreamy Goatsnake tone.
Quote by m_wilkie
Cheers for the suggestions everybody.

@TheStig1214 - Yes indeed I am a limey bum!

The VH100R does look like a killer amp, but I already use a GH50L at the moment and I'm looking for something different, although Mastodon did use them on Remission which is a KILLER sound. Do they sound alright at lower volumes though?

For Marshall - a JCM 800 2203 would be a great option, but goddamn they are pretty expensive. Might have to wait on that methinks.

For Laney AOR, I've been perusing the eBays and Gumtrees for a long time and they seem pretty hard to come by. I'll keep an eye out though.

No words about the Rivera or Diezel? I know I said I was going for a 'sludgey' tone but really anything with a fair bit of clout that punches you in the chest would be great too. I've heard nothing but great things about the Rivera.

At the moment, I think the amp that is interesting me the most is the Orange OR100. Have seen some stunning demos, it sounds magnificent, has ability to go down to 30 watts for (slightly) lower volumes, it's more compact than other high gain heads, and as a bonus, it looks great! Rockerverb is not far behind. Thunderverb is beyond my budget by quite a bit.

I think the Riveras and Diezels will sound a bit too "American", not full on sludge. The Sunn Model T is tricky. The original ones and the reissues are completely different amps. The original, firstly, is around $2500 and it only really gets super heavy at stupid loud volumes. The reissue has two channels and does those sounds pretty well but they are few and far between and would likely be well over $1500 in the UK (whatever that is in pounds I am too lazy to convert) as it is an American amp built by Fender.

I play my VH100R in the bedroom all the time. I used to run a POD HD500 in the FX loop to cut the volume down from line levels and that worked pretty well, but now I have an M13 and on the insert return there is a return gain knob that will let you knock down the volume coming in quite a bit. If you just ran a patch cable from the insert send to the insert return and turned that knob down you could get the same effect. Only running 2 power tubes would help a lot too, but I forgo that option.

Beyond the Laney I'd again give my vote to an Orange. Specifically the Thunderverb. That's what Brent used for a very long time. I think he's using a Marshall JMP and a Diezel VH4 now. Bill used a VH100R in the early days then switched to the JCM800 2203 and a JCM Kerry King sig for the heavier stuff, now he's using the Friedman Brown Eye (again a $2500+ amp).

The only other rig I know from your list of bands is Torche (JCM800 2203 and Super Lead). I also know The Sword (similar sounding band) uses Orange Rockerverbs. Though one of them is using a custom one knob amp called a "Big Crunch".
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If all else fails on the Rockerverb/Thunderverb front there's always the Dark terror and the Jim Root Terror, though they might not have enough headroom for what you're wanting.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah, I'm probably not going to go any lower than 50w as I'd want to use this for gigs. We play gigs in our local venue which is quite a big old place and anything under won't really cut it tbh.

TheStig - you mean just get an ordinary patch cable and just connecting the Send and Return inputs with nothing in between? Just like this guy explains too! http://quantumprana.com/2014/03/09/a-nice-trick-to-lower-the-volume-of-your-laney-vh100r/

Looks like this has been added to the list.
Quote by m_wilkie
Yeah, I'm probably not going to go any lower than 50w as I'd want to use this for gigs. We play gigs in our local venue which is quite a big old place and anything under won't really cut it tbh.

TheStig - you mean just get an ordinary patch cable and just connecting the Send and Return inputs with nothing in between? Just like this guy explains too! http://quantumprana.com/2014/03/09/a-nice-trick-to-lower-the-volume-of-your-laney-vh100r/

Looks like this has been added to the list.

Yup pretty much. The VH100R has an FX Loop and an Insert Loop. The FX Loop will let some of the dry signal blend in based on how you set the "Effects" knob for each channel on the front of the amp, and there's an FX Loop for each channel. The Insert Loop is 100% of the signal going out all the time, which is what I use. So if you use the insert loop, run a patch cable from the out (46 on this diagram) to the in (44) and turn the insert loop gain knob down (43).

It gets a little complicated if you use time based pedals in the FX loop that don't have a blend control but I can explain that too if you want.

In all reality if you have a GH50L it's the same circuit as the VH100R dirty channel. The VH100R just has a clean channel, plus an additional footswitchable gain stage on each channel, so it is kind of a pseudo-4 channel amp.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Mar 9, 2015,
Ah nice one, cheers. I run my Zoom G3 in the front of the amp which sounds nice so no worries on that front.

I'll take a look at this on my GH50L when I get back home.
I'm an Orange loyalist so I'd recommend any of those, but two of the three that you've listed are out of your price range, unless you plan on going used on eBay and financing through PayPal.

For the TH100, however, you can check Humbucker Music- it's having a sale on Orange amps. I assume you're from Britain based on your word choice, but in case you live in America (I don't think zZounds ships internationally), zZounds does price matching and financing. Just fill out this form and a staff member should respond with a limited time offer to match that price. Just choose a financing plan when checking out your item.
Yeah, for the OR100/Rockerverb, if it were to go that way it would be a finance deal, which would be much better for me.

Got a bit excited there at the prospect of a sale on Orange amps but alas I am in England.
Seen Orange Rockerverbs on thomman ranging from 800-1000 depending on the model.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ Thomann rules

Looking at your list made me suggest the Rockerverb since you named bands like Torche and Down as well as Mastodon. Mastodon tours with JCM 800 Kerry Kings blended with regular JCM 800s (atleast bill kelliher). Torche (sick band) and Down use Rockerverbs quite often. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Rockerverb for something like Mastodon either. They're looser sounding amps, but I find all Mastodon stuff pretty loose sounding, aside from Remission.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP