Alright, so I came up with this riff on my keyboard and was planning to use it in some kind of cinematic tune or whatever, but I really liked the sound of it so decided to bring it to guitar.

The problem is, when I went to record it in cubase, I found playing with the click track to be very offputting and it messed up the riff completely. I tried a few different tempos and then had a little go at playing it with a click track in 3/4 and 5/4 but it still felt wrong and caused me to mess up.

Can any of you guys help me figure this one out? Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/smonorkith/help-me-with-this-riff-please/s-pOIra
Yarr!
Sounds like syncopated 4/4 to me. Your first 4 notes are dotted eighths. Cool riff!
Yeah it's 4/4 - you just have to deconstruct the riff so you know how long each note is first, then start at a slower tempo and build it up to speed.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yup. 4/4. Those first few notes of the phrase are dotted eighths, like Declan said. Which means that if you throw a 4/4 click on it (at least at the tempo that feels natural to me), the second and fourth notes fall in between the downbeats. If you're not used to that kind of rhythm, that can definitely feel weird to play with a click like that. Try doubling the speed of the click track, so you get clicks on 8th notes rather than quarters. Then count 3 clicks each for the first 4 notes. Count it like this, where your notes fall on the capitals.

ONE two three ONE two three ONE two three ONE two three ONE TWO THREE four ONE two three ONE two THREE ONE two three one two three one two three four.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
^ Confusing as hell. I'd say just count it as 4/4 is normally counted. One-and-two-and-three-and-four-and, etc.
Yeah, there's probably a better way to explain that. Just trying to get across that it's mostly a 3+3+3+3+4 organization of beats, within a simple 4/4 rhythm. Extremely common syncopation, actually.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
^ AC/DC uses it a lot in their riffs. But if I wanted to use click, I would just use normal 4/4.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks guys. I can't believe I've never come across this kind of thing before to be honest, but it makes a lot more sense now. Cheers!
Yarr!
No. That's 5 groups of 3 + 2 groups of 2 8th notes. You should learn to hear groups of 3 and 2 8th notes and it gets easier.

I don't know what the time signature would be. Maybe 6/8 + 6/8 + 7/8. It also depends on the drums. Yeah, 6/8 + 6/8 + 7/8 sounds good. It's like 6/8 all the time but the third bar always has an extra 8th note.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115