Hi all.

I just picked up an 1988 SC400... Background: I had a Studio 110 for years as my practice amp, sold it when I decided I would never have the opportunity to play in a band. And what happens? I get invited to play in a band.

I run my PRS CE22 & MC58 into my Boss GT-100. That I would run through a small sound board for practice. Well now the band I'm joining wants me to have an amp. I found a clean 1988 SC400 with footswitch. All works as it should and only cost me $125. (Good deal?)

My musical tastes run from modern country, acoustic rock, classic rock, and some modern rock. No metal.

Should I run it thru the front or thru the preamp IN in back? Also what settings would be best to keep the amp transparent and let my Boss do its thing? FYI, the Boss has an output setting for a JC120, should I use that or leave it in LINE OUT output?

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
For solid state that amp's not bad, gets loud enough for most gigs unless you plan to set up in the Astrodome...I've played one quite a few times.

I'd run any pedals into the guitar jack, use the effects loop for things like an echo if you want to add one. The one I played took effects pretty well, sounded pretty decent by itself too, considering it's not tubes. Yeah I'm a tube nut...

I don't know anything about the Boss, but I'd leave it line o0utput and run it into the guitar jack in front. It's basically the same as a couple others I've tinkered with, they usually work fine plugged into the guitar input. I can't remember if that amp has low and hi inputs, if so use the high one. And don't run the damn chorus unless you need the thing...I hate hearing those things all night on every stinking song...

You'll have to tinker with it to find the presets that work well with that amp, or maybe adjust a few, other than that it should work pretty well. And of course you'll have to get accustomed to the settings that get what you want out of it, but that amp is not too hard to set up for a good sound. If I remember correctly the gain channel is not too bad. At least for rock and blues stuff...it gets a good clean sound, I've heard a lot of country players using them.

Oh yeah, that price is not bad at all. I've seen them in pawn shops for twice that much.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Mar 8, 2015,
I'd use the 4CM and have the GT100 running in the front and in to the FX loop

This will allow you to use the channels of the amp and use the modeling through the FX loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAhtLg6isrY&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks...

Yes it does have High & Low Gain inputs on channel one and just Low Gain on the effects channel. And yes, a good chorus is great, unless it over used. The SC400 has been called a great pedal platform. I will soon find out.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77