Hello everyone! I'm new here and to experimenting with electrical guitar sound effects.

I am trying to get a very specific sound effect found in the following song at 1:10 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtIKFYU8ZXQ

I just can't seem to get it on my current equipment (Yamaha Pacifica PAC 112 J with Vox Valvetronix AD15VT). I was wondering if I would have to look into geting new equipment and in such case, what kind of guitar/amp/pedal would help me achieve that guitar sound in that solo?

Many thanks.
This website details what Ian Bairnson says about his rig. Apparently, very simple, just a LP or Strat virtually directly into an amp.

On any record up until 1981 you can be assured that I played my Les Paul Custom through a Marshall 50 head and 4x12 angle front cab. The speakers were not Celestians, I replaced them with Goodman speakers. Any Strat sounds on Project albums pre 1981 were from a 70s white Strat, which was just a part of many instruments we kept as a kind of Project arsenal. It was a truly horrible guitar! In these days we used careful mic placement for the basic sound and used the studio's effects if they were needed. I never owned a stomp box

(Edit)

For studio recording I use a slightly higher spec rig consisting of: A Triaxis, Yamaha SPX1000, TC2290, TC1210 and the Mesa 20/20 power amp. Rather than cascade the effect units, I use a Tascam TMD1000 digital mixer to send to each effect individually.

Now, obviously, you're not going to be able to get there with your rig, nor are you going to be able to buy exactly what he was using. Overall, Ian's tone reminds me of early David Gilmour.

So, on a budget, I'd look for:

1) a Les Paul clone (or any 2HB guitar you prefer)
2) a chorus pedal
3) a tremolo or rotary pedal
4) a delay pedal
5) a univibe or phaser pedal
6) a fuzz pedal

You're not going to be using any of those at their maximum- subtle flavoring is what you're looking for. For that song in particular, I'd say the chorus and tremolo/rotary are key.

Now, that's my guessing. Someone else may have a better idea of how to get there!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The only effect I can tell there is a bit of echo, added at the mixer, since he says he didn't own a stompbox. Two tracks, one the high note, one an octave lower, most likely the Les Paul through the Marshall. Bridge pickup. Judging by the sound the amp volume is cranked to at least 7, probably maxed out. On those amps around 7 on the volume knob is where you start to get that raspy overdriven sound. Before that it's a little cleaner, just a little crunch. It's basically a straight tube amp same as a Fender but a little more gain in the preamp stage. Volume at 5 it starts to break up a bit, 7 it starts to sound overdriven, where the Fender would not break up till around 7 or so and wouldn't be quite as overdriven at full tilt.

For what you're using, an overdrive pedal will probably get you pretty close. But don't expect to match it exactly...I get my Fender Champ real close to that with an overdrive pedal. (Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal)
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hmm...maybe an octave pedal instead of fuzz- again, used subtly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I just went to a concert by Alan Parsons Live Project about a month ago. I love his recordings. One of the things you have to consider is that it is engineered and produced by Alan parsons one of the world's best. His specific use of EQ and compression in all of his recordings is a major factor. Check out some of his "Art and Science of Recording" videos on how he records guitars.

http://www.artandscienceofsound.com/
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 10, 2015,