This is gonna sound stupid but I'm actually serious. It is obvious that today a lot of popular music is about looks and image. With that said, how old is too old for the members of a band to make it and get big. For instance, do you think a group of 35-40 year olds with great music could become famous or would they be neglected for their lack of 'image'. Again it sounds dumb but I think it kind of has some merit. What do you think
I think anyone that is entertaining and strikes up some fan emotion from songs or performances can be successful at any age. Maybe only people that are 40 will like them though
Dead is too old.

Trends suggest that if you are in your 30s or over then you are less likely to make it. But that doesn't mean too much really. Most 30+ musicians gained initial success in their 20s and continued.

However that could be because by the time people are in their 30s they tend to be more settled and have more responsibilities family kids jobs etc. People in their 20s have more freedom and optimism to chase dreams.

But so what? There is no age limit for making good music. Record labels are heavily ageist but if you make awesome music that brings in a massive fanbase you can make it at any age.

Write your own unique success story. Don't worry about perceived limitations. Go for it.
Si
depends on the market

image is still really important. that doesn't mean looking like rock stars, it just means, yknow, not wearing cargo shorts and hawaiian shirts and playing power anthems

which you could still probably make work, but let's be realistic

anything can be spun. just make people notice and then have enough chops to keep them on the hook

it'll be harder but not for any reason but those that come with age and maturity - responsibilities, scheduling, rough road conditions, heavy equipment, a concern for your credit score and general well-being
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It depends on the market you're aiming for, and what level of success you're talking about.

For example a 40 year old girl band won't be taken up by MTV. However a 40 year old blues artist could still have their break.

If local success if all you're aiming for, age is no barrier.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Your too old to make it big.

It's all about youth and sex in the music business.

This doesn't mean you can't have a band and have fun. But to make it big?

Not gonna happen.

You could be a successful songwriter if you could write a big hit for a boy/girl band or country star.

Your not gonna play in the NFL either just in case you were considering that option.
Last edited by Virgman at Mar 9, 2015,
99.9% of the beautiful young people playing the most popular style of music aren't going to make it big, so your chances are only .01% worse than that..
Quote by Jack Strat
99.9% of the beautiful young people playing the most popular style of music aren't going to make it big, so your chances are only .01% worse than that..

Hmm...well then I say go for it.
Seasick Steve?

Also these guys, broke through around 40. Awesome live band, wall of sound (video does no justice):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWTGB5Hr-E

Also dig his SG and its simplicity
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
the ironic part is that there are quite a few bands now in their 60's and 70's (mr jagger comes to mind) still doing major tours..so it is not the age of the performer..its who supports them..thus why there are so few groups that have the following of some groups that were major draws in the 60's..new young groups rise and shine and change rapidly making a strong fan base hard to achieve..plus there are very few "out front" singers who have the charisma of a Jagger or Morrison..Hendrix etc...one that comes to mind today is Jack White..and even is his case recognition of his talents seems regional and fragmented..

media hype personalities like Justin Biber are more noted for their antics off stage more than on..plus their "talent" is highly in question..

then the definition of making it today is way different than it was 40+ years ago..

the motivation of making it also plays a part in the "success formula" some just want to be famous..others want to play music and fame/success is a by-product
play well

wolf
plus weren't bill and ted like 40 when they came back in time and won the talent show
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Seasick Steve didn't exactly come from nowhere. He was a session guitarist and producer for most of his life before his solo career.

And those really big bands that tend to pop up in these discussions - Rolling Stones, Aerosmith etc - were in their early 20s when they made it big. They just happened to be teally smart and stay popular since then.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Mar 9, 2015,
How old is too old to Start a Successful Band

3 days after you die.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
3 days after you die.

Well jesus pulled it off, few people actually know he wrote all the christian hymns people sing in church, and he was a huge pianist. But most people yeah 3 days after you die you wont make it big anymore.
^Although....Brad Nowell had minor success and didn't get huge international success until ater he died...

Wasn't Bach well regarded across several cities as a decent organist but it wasn't until 60 or 70 years after he died that he gained world wide regard as a genius composer?

If you are ahead of your time and put in the work leaving something behind then even death may not be a barrier...
Si
Quote by Hail
plus weren't bill and ted like 40 when they came back in time and won the talent show

LOL!

Also, never too old. Who cares about making money from music. If you want to make money off it, become a session musician or something. Still dope.
Last edited by one vision at Mar 11, 2015,
I think "making it big" is pretty overrated. Most of the great bands who did weren't really shooting for "big". They were just really passionate about their music and were driven to play live to a different crowd every night if possible. It was in their blood and big sorta happened around them.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah this brings up a good question, because so many musicians 30-40+ are so talented for different reasons: maybe because they had time to practice and get a more authentic sound, they don't try to impress you or play faster than you, they're more mature and know how to challenge you on some valuable [points on your playing of the instrument.
I'm a guitar player in his twenties, and i frequently jam with a older guy of 40, and I can't tell you how much it have helped me further my quest in guitar practice. He had a few bands so he's very well aware of things I should know about getting a proper band.
And I mean, on a music base, it's very challenging cause the guy is more versatile than people in their 20ies, where all you play more or less is what you listen to, in my case heavy metal!