Page 1 of 2
Looking at getting a new guitar soon (Les Paul-ish), somewhere up to ~2500 AUD. Tried a 2014 Les Paul Studio.... crap guitar, maybe it was just that one but I don't think I've ever played a Studio I thought was a nice guitar. I have an 08 SG Faded, freaking awesome guitar, got lucky with a good one but to be honest (internet bias totally aside), a lot of the Gibsons I've played were really nothing special. Only higher end Les Pauls, a few SGs and others like Vs and Explorers have felt good.

So I'm kind of hesitant of going for a Gibson, or at least a new one in my price range.

Based on my experience, what are you opinions in comparison especially to maybe how Studios compare to Standards/Trads/Customs etc? Since that would be what I could get in my price range used.

Some others I am looking at:
-Heritage H140 (awesome guitar - new too) - Top choice atm
-Used Les Paul Halcyon Bill Kelliher (Mastodon \m/ - QC?) Anyone played one?
-Other random used Les Pauls (Would prefer a Custom or maybe Classic Custom)
-ESP Eclipses

Some other things to note:
-Single cut, more vintage styled
-Passive pickups only
-Prefer thicker necks, my SG has a pretty thick neck and the 2014 Studio was too thin
-Will not buy without trying it in person
-Fiending over G&L Rampages & Explorers a bit but I think a LP or similar is a better choice for now
-I guess I'm too brainwashed by 'Gibson', i.e. the name
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 9, 2015,
Given a choice between a Gibson and a Heritage, I'd go for the Heritage nearly every time.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Given a choice between a Gibson and a Heritage, I'd go for the Heritage nearly every time.

Even a Custom? Or just how actually good the guitar is?

Silverburst Customs are pretty sweet
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
A Classic Custom would be cool to grab used, but they may be hard to find.

I'd agree with you in saying that Gibsons are very temperamental. They can make incredible guitars, but they also make dogs.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A Classic Custom would be cool to grab used, but they may be hard to find.

I'd agree with you in saying that Gibsons are very temperamental. They can make incredible guitars, but they also make dogs.

Got to agree with this. Some say the only Gibsons worth buying are in their premium ranges, but the best one I've ever played is my Studio Faded, one of the cheapest models they do - I was trying everything I could find with a budget of £2k, I ended up spending £600 on the best guitar I've ever played.

The secret? Go shopping. Try everything. Be patient. Buy the guitar that makes you fall in love with it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
My best tip would be to just go to a music shop or to someone who's selling and play it. If you like the feel, the sound and it holds up nice (tuning etc.) then go for it. There's often a big difference between specific models and year as well.

I bought my Gibson ES-335 Professional Ebony guitar in 2013 after playing it at a music store. I guess I lucked out though as I got it for around 1849 Euro from Germany (In Sweden it would have cost me 2600 Euro) and it plays like a dream! This one http://www.gak.co.uk/en/gibson-custom-shop-limited-es-335-traditional-pro-zebra-trans-black/58267

Good luck!
The Heritage I played was pretty awesome, I'll keep looking around a little but if nothing else I'll get that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I have a 2014 Standard and its the best guitar I've ever owned by far and maybe even the best I've played. That being said, I played a Studio a few years back that I was completely blown away by, even went back to the store a month later to buy it (after saving up some cash) but it was gone by then
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Also I say must say I'm not a fan of the crap they've done on the 14 and 15 guitars.

14 has the annoying 12th fret inlay and 15 oh boy...

baby scribble les paul - facepalm
hologram - facepalm
miniturd/g farce - facepalm
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
That's the one thing I don't like about my standard, the change in the binding. The 12th fret inlay doesn't bother me as much as you'd think
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by dannyalcatraz

As long as you're going to keep it for life. Heritage resale is low.
Moving on.....
Personally, I don't give a damn about guitar resale value. If the guitar is good, I'm not getting rid of it.

Instead, I care about comfort, quality of construction- including build consistency- and how they sound. And Heritage pretty much beats or ties Gibson on all those counts. For less $$$.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I have a Traditional and it's great. that's the model I'd recommend. although if you thought a studio was a crap guitar you're not likely to like any other les paul model either, as the studios are fantastic guitars and just about as good as their standard cousins IMO.

maybe you'd be more comfortable with an SG Standard?
After seeing Gibson's hanging in a box box audio retailer (Future Shop) up here, at a cost of near an Epiphone, I lost some faith in Gibson. What a bad marketing idea really. Talk about devaluing your brand.

Combine this will all the issues they had with the government seizing their wood and i am not sure I'd buy a new one right now. I love my Gibsons and they are all fantastic guitars... They have traditionally been my favourite guitar company.. But right now i wouldn't buy one new. Used - absolutely. Their business decisions have me shaken right now. Sad because they have done some great stuff over the years.

Quote by paruwi

brand new 1000Euro - they ship to OZ

And they're as nice to play as they are to look at.

Quote by paruwi
brand new 1000Euro - they ship to OZ

not buying a guitar without playing it, especially for that kind of money

Quote by trashbeast
I have a Traditional and it's great. that's the model I'd recommend. although if you thought a studio was a crap guitar you're not likely to like any other les paul model either, as the studios are fantastic guitars and just about as good as their standard cousins IMO.

maybe you'd be more comfortable with an SG Standard?

I don't know, I have a feeling I'd like at least a LP Custom. I've played a few Stds and Trads before which I thought were nice. I was especially never fond of the fretboards on the studios in particular.

Already have a SG :P
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by Badmotorfingers
not buying a guitar without playing it, especially for that kind of money

Well its either that, a Gibson, or nothing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Or Heritage or ESP.

I already said I played a Heritage :P

I'd actually be somewhat comfortable buying only an ESP online as every ESP/LTD I have played was very consistent. Though I can also try one out locally as well.

Maybe something like this

http://bmusic.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15_20&products_id=483

Never been a fan of the flame top veneers. Though I did once play an Eclipse II FM FT distressed which I thought was one of the best guitars I've ever played.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

To be fair, there are some really good luthiers down there.

Of course, you probably won't find many of their guitars hanging in stores to try out. And they probsbly won't be significantly cheaper than Gibbys.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 9, 2015,
Quote by paruwi
I'm sure there are local dealers in your area....

http://www.fgnguitars.com/distributor.html#oceania

I already looked; there aren't any. Only one wholesaler who doesn't sell to the general public.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
If there are no FGNs in the stores, and he doesn't sell to the public, then who the hell is he selling to?

If I were in the market for an FGN, I'd at least ask that distributor where to buy them.

Or I might try to get my favorite local music store to order one for me. That's how I got my first electrics.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 9, 2015,
Maybe they can't find anyone to take them
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
If businesses aren't buying, and you're not selling to the public, it's hard to stay in business. Something has to give.

Meh, it's only a wholesaler. They probably share overhead with wholesaling in other areas and/or under different names. They don't even look to sell all that much.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If there are no FGNs in the stores, and he doesn't sell to the public, then who the hell is he selling to?

Sir, this is a guitar forum. Please leave logic at the door.
There's a door?

Quote by monwobobbo
hidden behind a pile of MGs

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Personally, I don't give a damn about guitar resale value. If the guitar is good, I'm not getting rid of it.

Instead, I care about comfort, quality of construction- including build consistency- and how they sound. And Heritage pretty much beats or ties Gibson on all those counts. For less $$$.

Wish that was true around here. I've only seen Heritage in a couple shops and they are not price competitive where I live. $1200-ish for a Junior a couple years ago is what I remember. I'd love to get my hands on one, but not at local prices.
Yeah... Still fairly expensive :P. Considering most shops would have to order in, and with the AUD dropping against the US.... Eh.
Quote by Hydra26
Wish that was true around here. I've only seen Heritage in a couple shops and they are not price competitive where I live. $1200-ish for a Junior a couple years ago is what I remember. I'd love to get my hands on one, but not at local prices.

Only seen one in person myself, but $ for $, it blew the store's Gibbys away, IMHO.

Currently got one on my "watching" list on eBay...

what about this compared to a heritage?

http://bmusic.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15_20&products_id=483

though I'm not too fond of the XJ frets on the ESPs :/ neck might be too thin as well
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
A Bacchus Les Paul should be affordable in Australia!

An Edwards as well!

Nuff said!
Last edited by kentuckyklira at Mar 10, 2015,

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 10, 2015,
You guys would just blind buy stuff like that? I'm not opposed to it, since all the Japanese made stuff I've played are fairly consistent. But what if it came with a cracked neck or something? Hmm, I wonder if you can insure it for those kind of things
Page 1 of 2