Hi,
I am hoping to buy a low budget guitar (under £200). I play rock, metal but I also occasionally play bluesy stuff (but I have a strat for that). I need advice on a good quality guitar for it's price. I had a look at some BC Rich guitar's however I want a guitar that I can use for pretty much any occasion - basically nothing to extravagant in shape. I was quite interested in the Ibanez RG series (standard cus its cheaper) but most places I looked (particularly for the RG350DXZ) its around £350 which is way over my budget. I also had a look at the GIO series cus I believe they are more of budget guitars that are decent quality - I particularly liked the GRG250DX cus the paint is pretty cool however that would still be streching my budget by about £70. I did see the GRG170DX which looks very good however I'm not sure how good that tremelo system would be without a locking nut. What may be helpful is the features I probably want.
So here they are ( I am aware I may not be able to have all for this price):

Floyd Rose Tremelo (preferably with a locking nut)
24 Frets
Humbuckers (well at least 1 anyway)
Look fairly decent without being completely crazy in shape
(similar to the point above) but be roughly similar in shape to a strat so it will fit in my case
£200 or less

So yeah please advise guitars of that budget - not just Ibanez but I hope that gives you an idea

Thanks in advance
You're not going to get a decent floyd for 200.

To be honest I must be crazy to rec this but the Squier Vintage Modified series HSS strat is worth the money. Got mine for 160. It's a great workhorse guitar.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I bet you could find that £350 one used for £200.
Honestly, that's the key to budget shopping. You can get a way better value for your money in used gear.
Quote by Jordan N
I bet you could find that £350 one used for £200.
Honestly, that's the key to budget shopping. You can get a way better value for your money in used gear.

Also has the dreaded Edge 3 trem on it.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Don't get a Floyd Rose in your budget. They're bad quality and will wear out, meaning that they won't be able to hold tune anymore and you'll have to block it.

Are you in the UK? These are all decent workhorse guitars.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cort_kx5_wh.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec50_black_satin_bundle.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js32tq_dinky_tbk.htm

Personally, I would get the Cort.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Fisheth24
Also has the dreaded Edge 3 trem on it.

I don't have any experience with it, but as you said, he's not likely to find a good one at that price. Is it that bad?
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Mar 9, 2015,
The Edge III is notoriously terrible.

Found this on that site, get this. http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/guitars-c1/electric-guitars-c14/squier-showmaster-hs-metallic-black-rw-p3158

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not too sure, I don't really want anything too similar to what I have (sunburst coloured strat) , but I know you say about this tremelo but I just want to be able to do proper dive bombs. Would maybe a £250 budget get that in, but if I end up not going for the tremelo this guitar you suggested is perfect - it looks so good for that price. http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js32tq_dinky_tbk.htm
Have you considered selling your strat to get more budget for one quality guitar that meets all your needs?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Its very cheap and old I doubt it would go for more than £50 , plus after I get a second guitar I plan to possibly mod it, so yeah I want to keep it
This is the cheapest guitar I see with a decent trem. http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg350dxzwh.htm

And even then, it's not a great trem. But it's decent.

This is the cheapest I see with a pro quality trem. http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_pro_dk2m_dinky_sw.htm

Also has pro quality pickups. That's a great all around value actually. I've had bad experience with Jackson QC though, I'm not a fan with what I've seen.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 9, 2015,
You just don't have the budget for a nice floyd rose. You can get a decent guitar though. Offworld's Cort suggestion is really nice. It's got a bolt on neck with a tapered joint to give you better access to the higher frets. That would be my choice, but that Jackson could be a good one as well.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Ive got a modded strat which im trying to sell.
Iron gear pickups, USA fender trem, grover locking tuners.

Normal strat bridge but it does rock and metal pretty well.
Drop me a message if you're interested.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Hmm, the only reason I want a floyd rose, is because I want a versatile guitar that I can use for a lot of things (including dive bombs etc) and OffWorld your suggestion for this guitar was what I was looking at first, though it would require me to save a lot longer!
This one - http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg350dxzwh.htm

Part of the reason I don't want to go to much over my budget, is because I'm hoping to get a better amp, cus currently I use a cheap, rubbishy stagg amp which I run with my effects pedal to make it sound half alright, however I hope to buy something of better quality. I know most would say get a decent amp first, but this strat I have, I've had for 7 years and its certainly not great condition now, so I want a change and something that sounds great.

Just had a look and found this, the looks alone look amazing, but any thoughts on that tremelo http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js32q_dinky_tbk.htm
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Mar 9, 2015,
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Hmm, the only reason I want a floyd rose, is because I want a versatile guitar that I can use for a lot of things (including dive bombs etc) and OffWorld your suggestion for this guitar was what I was looking at first, though it would require me to save a lot longer!

Part of the reason I don't want to go to much over my budget, is because I'm hoping to get a better amp, cus currently I use a cheap, rubbishy stagg amp which I run with my effects pedal to make it sound half alright, however I hope to buy something of better quality. I know most would say get a decent amp first, but this strat I have, I've had for 7 years and its certainly not great condition now, so I want a change and something that sounds great.

Just had a look and found this, the looks alone look amazing, but any thoughts on that tremelo http://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js32q_dinky_tbk.htm

nothing wrong with wanting a guitar that can cover a bunch of bases but sacrificing quality for quantity (so to speak) is a really bad idea. skip the trem and get a guitar that plays well and sounds good. down the raod when you have more money then get a guitar with a trem. a better amp would be a really good idea.
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13

That trem is pretty spotty too. There's just some facts to your situation that you're gonna have to accept. A tremelo at your price point will probably not be worth the hassle. Everything else you're saying is spot on.

Personally I would get a guitar I like playing too before a good amp, but that's kind of a matter of preference. I find trem guitars to be less versatile since they're more of a pain to put into different tunings. I'd rather be able to use multiple different tunings than be able to dive bomb anyways. That trick gets old fast.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by evmac
That trem is pretty spotty too. There's just some facts to your situation that you're gonna have to accept. A tremelo at your price point will probably not be worth the hassle. Everything else you're saying is spot on.

Personally I would get a guitar I like playing too before a good amp, but that's kind of a matter of preference. I find trem guitars to be less versatile since they're more of a pain to put into different tunings. I'd rather be able to use multiple different tunings than be able to dive bomb anyways. That trick gets old fast.

not that i disagree with what you are saying in principle but.... there is far more you can do with a trem than do dive bombs. the trem can and is a very expressive tool if used correctly (or abused depending on how you wanna look at it). check out some recent Jeff Beck for a full picture of what i'm saying.
Quote by monwobobbo
not that i disagree with what you are saying in principle but.... there is far more you can do with a trem than do dive bombs. the trem can and is a very expressive tool if used correctly (or abused depending on how you wanna look at it). check out some recent Jeff Beck for a full picture of what i'm saying.

Yeah that was my dilemma, I was only using dive bombs as an example, but yeah I think you guys are probably right, especially when it comes to tuning. So yeah if its not going to have a Floyd rose I want something looking pretty nice. That guitar I said about above , well I just like the flamed maple look kinda thing. Something like that, but I still really want at least 1 humbucker, 24 frets and its got to look great (these are the main things I want now other than the price)
Quote by monwobobbo

I completely agree. Yeah I'm a fan of Jeff Beck, who ironically doesn't use a locking trem. He just seemed adamant about dive bombing so I was just pointing out that it gets old.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Last edited by evmac at Mar 10, 2015,
Not all licenced floyds suck. And many a good one can be found on older 90's guitars if you look hard enough. I bought a Washburn KC44 new 20 odd years ago. Stratoid. HSH and Floyd. It's been pulled apart, sprayed, pick ups changed etc over the years. I still play it every day and it has the best Floyd of any of my guitars. Never drops out of tune and most of the chrome is still on it. Frets are still good after all this time. I saw one identical to how mine was new on ebay 2 months ago for £90. Some people don't know or have forgotton 'old' quality. Look around, there are some great guitars out there.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Hmm well I want to get a new guitar as apposed to a second hand one, but I'm really unsure now what to go for!
Quote by evmac
You just don't have the budget for a nice floyd rose. You can get a decent guitar though.

+1

I don't get any pleasure out of saying that, and when I started I bought a couple of guitars with crappy floyds and it basically scared me off them. I think things are not quite as bad these days with the floyd rose special and frt-x000, but even those tend to come on guitars over £400.

Problem is with your budget you can get maybe a decent guitar without the floyd, or a guitar where the floyd is an achilles heel (and if it's really bad it can make an otherwise good guitar bad, since it won't stay in tune etc.). Unless you get crazy lucky with a shop sale price or a used guitar.

EDIT: I also realise how annoying it is not to get a floyd if that's one of the main reasons you want the guitar, for what it's worth. I'd have also been annoyed had my first guitar not had a floyd. It's a bit of a dilemma unfortunately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 10, 2015,
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Hmm well I want to get a new guitar as apposed to a second hand one, but I'm really unsure now what to go for!

you may want to reconsider this. nothing wrong with a "pre enjoyed" (sounds better than used) guitar. yes shiny and new has a certain appeal but your money will go way further for a used guitar. out of my 4 electrics only one was bought new and that included a trade in that the store owner really wanted for himself (so i got way more for it than normal).
I do still want to buy a brand new guitar - I do understand you may be able to get something better second hand but yeah I've pretty much decided that. The main reason I wanted a Floyd rose was that on my strat right now I have a whammy bar but I don't think its anywhere near as responsive as a Floyd. And again the versatility again, because if I do want to play Jeff Beck or even stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughan, a lot of it is impossible without one.
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
I do still want to buy a brand new guitar - I do understand you may be able to get something better second hand but yeah I've pretty much decided that. The main reason I wanted a Floyd rose was that on my strat right now I have a whammy bar but I don't think its anywhere near as responsive as a Floyd. And again the versatility again, because if I do want to play Jeff Beck or even stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughan, a lot of it is impossible without one.

You want a new, pretty, playable, versatile guitar with a decent Floyd for that money?

And I want to ride a Unicorn whilst cashing in my winning Lotto ticket...

Neither of those is ever going to happen.

Figure out what your actual priorities are, then we might be able to help.

Also know that whatever guitar you buy is STILL going to sound like hammered shit through your current amp.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
I understand you are sceptical, I have now scrapped my budget altogether and will spend a bit longer saving for this guitar. I just love the looks, the tremelo seems stable enough and yeah an all round good guitar for this money. http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg350dxzwh.htm

good plan.
You can get some really great low cost guitars, Squires and Epiphones are amazingly good but you can't get a reliable tremelo on a budget. It will drive you mad going out of tune. I've given up on them altogether and sticking to guitars with hard tails.