Hi,

This might be an odd question but I'm considering either the BOSS OC3 or the Digitech Whammy 5th. I'm basically after the Octave effect and I like the sound of it and the Drive setting, its also compact. The Digitech does all this and more but how good is its octave setting? Its also BIG size wise.
Any advice, reccommendations, horror stories on either pedal would be appreciated!

Blew1
When you say octave, do you mean "Original note+Octave note", or "Original note shifting to the octave note" (Only one note sounding)? If it's just the first, I say the OC3. But if you need the second/both, get the Whammy since you can control how the notes transition.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Mar 9, 2015,
I meant the original and the octave for that fat, fuzzy sound. Does the Whammy do both? (ie The original note and the octave?)
yes the whammy does that when set to harmony octave up/down.

nothing beats the whammy for strong octaves. i have a pitchfork and it gets really close - only sold my whammy because it was too big for my board.
How does the Whammy cope with Distortion? Because I really like the Drive tone on the OC3
Never heard a problem with the whammy handling distortion.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Mar 10, 2015,
The OC3 has an insane amount of tracking issues, and most of the time the distortion sounds like anus.

The Whammy is the better octave generator imho.

Look into a POG as well!
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
A Micro POG might work for you too if you don't have/want to slide into the octave.

http://www.ehx.com/products/micro-pog
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame