Bands that went from successful first album, to sophomore slump, to masterpiece?

Page 1 of 3
First album: Really good
Second album: Pretty disappointing compared to their debut
Third album: GOAT tier

Only two bands I can think off the top of my head that did this were The Clash and the Manic Street Preachers.

The Clash's self titled debut and Generation Terrorists put both bands on the map, then The Clash put out Give 'Em Enough Rope, and the Manics put out Gold Against The Soul, both generally perceived as two of each respective band's weaker albums (even though IMO both are very good albums, just chronologically in an unfortunate position). After that, The Clash wrote London Calling and the Manics wrote The Holy Bible, two of the all time GOAT albums, and any best albums ever list by any British music publication will testify to that (the Manics are practically unheard of in America, but London Calling is widely regarded to be one of the GOATs in America too)

I'm sure there are other bands, but can't think of any right now. The Strokes could have pulled it off if First Impressions Of Earth wasn't too long and full of filler.
Insane Funeral

Killer debut, kinda meh, lacklustre trying to repeat himself sophomore, and I assume Discarnate will be GOAT so
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Pink Floyd? I liked The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn a lot, then some meh stuff, then Dark Side Of The Moon. Everything after that is trying too hard to be the next mega album.

Flying Lotus with 1983, Los Angeles and Cosmogramma.

That's all I got.
Nick Drake is the only one I can think of that kind of fits this. He also only has 3 albums

I love Five Leaves Left, I like Bryter Layter but not as much as FLL, and then Pink Moon is a masterpiece.
Quote by The Madcap
Pink Floyd? I liked The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn a lot, then some meh stuff, then Dark Side Of The Moon. Everything after that is trying too hard to be the next mega album.

Flying Lotus with 1983, Los Angeles and Cosmogramma.

That's all I got.

U wat LA is gr8
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
U wat LA is gr8
I like a lot of stuff on it, but I feel like it throws too much stuff at me and I feel like I'm listening to one gigantic song.
i only listen to bands that put out GOAT albums every time.

or bands that had one album/EP and then broke up.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
^i have Shape on double clear vinyl
Quote by ErikLensherr

the clash's second album is easily their best cmon man london calling is like 7 hours long who has the time for that?

in fact the second album is almost always the best one or at least it is in my library
What about bands that went from ok first album to semi-ok second album, third one was the worst, fourth & fifth were masterpieces, 6th had a new singer and a bassist but was ok, 7th was a concept album, 8th had the old singer back and was the best one since 5th then they made one more album 20 years later with the original lineup?

I'd be interested.
Pain Of Savation.

Entropia was a great great debut.

One Hour By The Concrete Lake was a good album, though tit took a few istens andwas nowhere near Entropia..

And The Perfect Element was f*cking amazing.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by MinterMan22
the clash's second album is easily their best cmon man london calling is like 7 hours long who has the time for that?

in fact the second album is almost always the best one or at least it is in my library

Sandinista! is their sprawling, self indulgent, cocaine addled album. Although some of their best songs are on there.

London Calling is phenomenal. They took punk and turned it into something much bigger.
Just sounds like the first 3 Dragon Age games to me
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Or the final fantasies from 7-9
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Seductive Barry
They took punk and turned it into something much bigger.

what does that even mean though?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
when you consider what other British punk bands were doing by '79, i think the claim that London Calling transformed the genre is pretty tenuous. not that i love the album any less because of that.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
what does that even mean though?

They combined their punk style with other genres that they experimented with.

I'm know The Jam et al were also experimenting with different sounds in 1979, but my point still stands, that it was an album by a punk band that transcended genres.
Quote by EpiExplorer
Just sounds like the first 3 Dragon Age games to me

This is literally the only thing that came to my mind
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Seductive Barry

I'm know The Jam et al were also experimenting with different sounds in 1979, but my point still stands, that it was an album by a punk band that transcended genres.

that's a lot of what punk is and was to begin with, though. it's why i listen to mostly punk bands because they can be incredibly diverse.

not that i'm shitting on London Calling, tho. i love the Clash.

it's just that punk is such a loose term if you're actually interested in the genre/not an elitist dick.
Guns N Roses: Appetite (yay) --> Lies (meh) --> Use Your Illusion (YAAAY)

Even though I kinda prefer Appetite.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by jakesmellspoo
that's a lot of what punk is and was to begin with, though. it's why i listen to mostly punk bands because they can be incredibly diverse.

not that i'm shitting on London Calling, tho. i love the Clash.

it's just that punk is such a loose term if you're actually interested in the genre/not an elitist dick.

Fair point, and I totally agree that it is a diverse genre.

There's a huge difference in sound and style between the classic British bands, and the classic American bands. The British bands had pop sensibilities and could write anthems, whereas the Americans went in harder and were a lot more aggressive and ramshackle. Listen to any song by The Jam and then Black Flag, for example.

I think it's hard to define what a Punk band is, but at the same time, you can sort of tell what makes a Punk band. It's hard to explain.

Shame "Punk" nowadays means whining into a microphone. Although we've had bands like The Libertines and The Gaslight Anthem over the past ten years who have done a decent job of getting the idea right.
No offense, but you sound like you're either kind of stupid or just 14. It's like you just discovered that sometimes some things are different than other things.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
No offense, but you sound like you're either kind of stupid or just 14. It's like you just discovered that sometimes some things are different than other things.

I'm actually 24 and I hold a Bachelor's degree, but close enough.

And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with your second sentence. I was discussing something related to a certain album that has had a few mentions in this topic. Going by your logic, if anyone discusses a particular topic, then they sound like they've just discovered it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Refused.

This Just Might Be... The Truth was great.

Songs To Fan The Flames of Discontent was extremely meh.

The Shape of Punk to Come was phenomenal.

Quote by Seductive Barry

And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with your second sentence. I was discussing something related to a certain album that has had a few mentions in this topic. Going by your logic, if anyone discusses a particular topic, then they sound like they've just discovered it.

Feel free to ignore her
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Seductive Barry

What is any of this though.

London Calling is phenomenal. They took punk and turned it into something much bigger.

Sounds like bad Rolling Stone magazine quotes.

And then you go on to say that punk is hard to define but easy to know what is punk. That could be said about like anything ever. And just when you think it can't get worse... there's the "music today" sentiment. Yeah, we get it. Music died and it's never gonna be the same.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Seductive Barry
Shame "Punk" nowadays means whining into a microphone. Although we've had bands like The Libertines and The Gaslight Anthem over the past ten years who have done a decent job of getting the idea right.

ミドリ - あらためまして、はじめまして、ミドリです。

(midori - hello everyone. nice to meet you. we are midori)
Last edited by Dregen at Mar 9, 2015,
you know, unknown pleasures was released in 1979 and that so much transcended that genre it was given a post- that genre designation, so

on the american side, talking heads: 77 came out 2 before that

all chump change before emo was invented
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Mar 9, 2015,
noah thinks that, but he's an idiot

do you really think that?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
noah thinks that, but he's an idiot

do you really think that?

if i wanted to listen to lame poetry performed lazily by some tone deaf english nerd who can't dance over boring ass melodies i'd listen to.. oh wait i don't wanna listen to that my bad hmu noah mon ami
Rush.
In four albums, self titled and Fly by Night were accepted by people and then Caress of Steel was released and no one liked it... Then 2112 came out.

But I like it all.
Quote by MinterMan22
if i wanted to listen to lame poetry performed lazily by some tone deaf english nerd who can't dance over boring ass melodies i'd listen to.. oh wait i don't wanna listen to that my bad hmu noah mon ami

I was skimming the thread and I saw the name Gaslight Anthem somewhere so I'm just going to take this opportunity to stress how much they suck.

Yeah, they really suck.
Page 1 of 3