Humbucking: Same as Humbuckers?

Are any humbucking pickups considered Humbuckers, even though they might not be considered humbuckers in the traditional sense?

Examples:

These Joe Barden JAG Style Pickups (Jaguar) are dual blade pickups that are "noise free". Are they considered humbuckers?

These Seymour Duncan Hotrails are single coiled sized dual rails described as humbuckers. Are they really considered humbuckers though?

The Bill Lawrence L-250 is a single coiled sized pickup described as a humbucker, though is it really considered a humbucker?

This Seymour Duncan Little 59er is a single coil sized pickup described as a humbucker. Is it really considered a humbucker though?

Are these single coiled sized pickups considered humbuckers, even though they don't look like the traditional humbuckers? If that's the case, can any pickup that has any noise canceling qualities be considered a humbucker?

Thanks.
despite the design differences they are all humbucking pickups thus they are humbuckers.
Humbucking is simply the way the coils and magnets are arranged. If it uses two coils and two magnetic pole pieces, then it's a humbucker.
Don't know about the Bill Lawrence, it looks like a single coil to me. Although, it could b a "stacked humbucker" (two coils and one pole piece)
The others are humbuckers. The size of the housing is irrelevant.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 9, 2015,
Yeah. I edited my post as you were typing that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What would you call this one? Bartolini 3D-01

It's a single coil and the description says "For good hum and noise rejection, use them in: North / South / North triples (in Strats) or South / North / South triples (in Strats)"

Because it has the hum rejection capabilities if positioned a certain way, could this be considered a humbucker? I would think not. From my understanding, if any single coils are positioned a certain way, they can have hum bucking capabilities, but it doesn't necessarily make them humbuckers, correct?

Only when the pickup has some sort of dual layered enhancement (dual blades/rails, stacked coils, minature dual coils) in them when it's a single coil sized pickup that it should be considered a humbucker, even though it's a single coil size. Correct?
It depends. A lot of people use the term "humbucker" almost like a brand name- normally to describe gibson-style (humbucking) pickups. I generally do that and I mean full-sized Gibson-style humbuckers. If I'm talking about other types of humbuckers I'd normally clarify what I mean with the full name (e.g. "rails-type single coil-sized humbuckers", or "stacked single coils" etc.).

But if you're using it more as a technical term, then what monwobobbo, cath and tony said.

And yeah I think you're right about the bartolini- it seems to be a regular single coil. What it said there about "hum rejection" is what most manufacturers call "reverse wound reverse polarity (RWRP for short)- when you use a pickup with a different polarity in the middle position, positions 2+4 on a strat's selector switch (neck and middle pickups wired together in parallel, or bridge and middle together in parallel) will be hum-cancelling or humbucking. But used alone they won't cancel/buck hum.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 10, 2015,
There's another issue with calling everything with more than one coil a "humbucker."

There are "noiseless" pickups out there that have a second coil that is NOT part of the sound production of the pickup. For example, Kinman has a noiseless P90 that uses only a standard P90 coil as the actual sound-producing piece. A second coil reduces noise, but does not contribute to the sound at all.

As noted, single-coil size pickups are available that are true humbuckers, others that are simply single coil pickups, and others that have a second coil that are "noiseless" single coil pickups. All have the same form factor, but the latter sound and act like normal single coil pickups except for the lack of noise, and they're NOT considered humbuckers.

And finally, there are whole assemblies that use any single coil pickups with a large noise reduction apparatus under the pickups that's simply part of the guitar.

Those Bartolinis are just standard single coil pickups.
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 10, 2015,
I personally wouldn't call a stacked single coil a humbucker. But it is humbucking.
^^ (dspellman) Yeah- in my (limited) experience, stacked-style single coils (which are noiseless) generally sound closer to single coils, whereas rails-type ones (which are humbucking) possibly sound closer to humbuckers (though probably more in the middle between the two, they sort of sound like their own thing).

^ Yeah that's normally what I'd do (or as I said, I'd call them "single coil-sized humbuckers").

Guitar terminology is a pain in the ass. Doesn't help that a lot of technically "incorrect" names have stuck and that a lot of people play kind of fast and loose with the terms (e.g. using "coil tap" instead of "coil split" etc.).

That being said with the terms like tremolo (instead of vibrato) which have kind of stuck I use the "wrong" term too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm with Dave_Mc on this. I generally use the word humbucker to describe the form factor or style of pickup kind of like a brand name. Single coils that reduce or eliminate noise, I typically refer to by their style (twin rail, stacked, P-100 etc). I guess just in the interest of being accurate, unambiguous and verbally concise (because Lord knows, I need all the help I can get being concise).
Quote by bachfantasia
What would you call this one? Bartolini 3D-01

It's a single coil and the description says "For good hum and noise rejection, use them in: North / South / North triples (in Strats) or South / North / South triples (in Strats)"

Because it has the hum rejection capabilities if positioned a certain way, could this be considered a humbucker? I would think not. From my understanding, if any single coils are positioned a certain way, they can have hum bucking capabilities, but it doesn't necessarily make them humbuckers, correct?

Only when the pickup has some sort of dual layered enhancement (dual blades/rails, stacked coils, minature dual coils) in them when it's a single coil sized pickup that it should be considered a humbucker, even though it's a single coil size. Correct?

You can arrange s/c's so that they humbuck when running two of them if one is RW/RP. That doesn't make them a humbucker. You're just running them in humbucker mode. By themselves they're just single coiled pups.

This is my first guitar. Those are two s/c's in the bridge, wired up so that they humbuck (unless I split them). They are humbucking but are just normal s/c's where one is RW/RP.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 11, 2015,
Quote by Hydra26
I'm with Dave_Mc on this. I generally use the word humbucker to describe the form factor or style of pickup kind of like a brand name. Single coils that reduce or eliminate noise, I typically refer to by their style (twin rail, stacked, P-100 etc). I guess just in the interest of being accurate, unambiguous and verbally concise (because Lord knows, I need all the help I can get being concise).

And LOL on the concise thing, me too (No shit, most people would likely say )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?