Im interested in buying a new amp. I play in a rock covers band, we play in pubs to outdoor concerts. Looking for a new amp to upgrade my sound. Looking for something in tube amp range. Have my eyes either a Lanely Ironheart 60 or Bugera Trirec (mainly for this 'Varipower' control, although have heard that the amp is not very good itself) open to all suggestions and comments. Thanks
Varipower is a gimmick. Find yourself an old JCM2000 DSL made after 2003.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The JCM2000 is a great little amp, And they can be had on the cheap. The Ironheart is a great amp, but I would say it is more of a metal amp.
Maybe check out one of those mini heads everyone is coming out with (orange, peavy, bugera, randall, blackstar)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bugera

maybe check one of the ones being discontinued. There might be problems with it a year from now or it may never have an issue. Those prices tho...

amazing deal here

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-6262-212-120w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
Last edited by Wormholes at Mar 9, 2015,
A Bugera as a gigging amp? Don't be so mean. It will end in tears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

seems that most of their models are on close out. guess that tells us something.
Quote by Cathbard
Varipower is a gimmick. Find yourself an old JCM2000 DSL made after 2003.

this
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Cathbard

or up in flames...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo
seems that most of their models are on close out. guess that tells us something.

This could be as they appear to be swapping all of the amps to their Infinium spec judging by their Web site.

There is no denying Bugera are cheap for the specification. Whether that is cheap-good value or just cheap I'm not sure they have been around long enough to know for sure.

I have a Bugera V5 Infinium and it's an OK amp (for the money it's a great amp, if it keeps working).. I've not had it that long or moved it that much so can't comment on longevity. I like the concept of the Infinium circuitry, but can't confirm if it works. The idea is great though.

I don't know how the attenuator in the V5 compares to the Varypower, but the V5 is far from great and robs too much tone for my liking.

I wouldn't want to gig a Bugera without a back up because (to me) it is an unknown quantity. But then I endeavour to have a contingency for any amp I gig, just in case.

All that said, if you can afford one, I would choose a Marshall over the Bugera - solid Rock credentials, and known reliability. Also (although it shouldn't ) a name matters in initial credibility - it means nothing once you start playing but at that point before you go out there an audience will have greater attention/expectation if they see what they consider to be cool gear on stage. If they see what they think is tat, they may not even stay to hear you play.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 10, 2015,
Another thing aswell is im new to tube amps, the other reason i thought of a Bugera amp was for the infinium part as im not totally sure on all this biasing of tubes and the amount of service thats needed on them. But i'll definitely look into a JCM2000
Quote by Keith Finnegan
Another thing aswell is im new to tube amps, the other reason i thought of a Bugera amp was for the infinium part as im not totally sure on all this biasing of tubes and the amount of service thats needed on them. But i'll definitely look into a JCM2000

Yup it confuses me two. There are those who make a big thing about biasing, the Fender forum is full of it, and there are amp designs/ tube configurations which are self biasing by their nature without the intervention of Infinium or anything else. Some amps have a non adjustable fixed bias addressed only by matching tubes.

Tube amps do need servicing, some will do it annually, some (me) maybe in ten years, some never.
Tubes degrade during use and more so when the amp is turned up. If you are gigging every night with, everything on 11, the amp will need servicing more frequently and you will want that piece of mind.

Bugera make a big thing off it because they have the Infinium feature. I don't see it as as much of an issue as they make.

Don't buy the Bugera on the strength of Infinium. It isn't that important IMHO .Also, I'm not convinced that I can't tell when it's doing it, which is quite annoying as the volume or gain changes slightly without external intervention....but I may be imagining it.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 10, 2015,
Which rock covers?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah as cath said don't worry about varipower. Especially if you're looking at high gainers it's unlikely to make much difference, just get the amp which sounds the way you want at the volume you generally play at (and which hopefully is reliable as well).

Quote by Cathbard

Evolution's fire extinguisher?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 10, 2015,
Biasing an amp is quite simple. Don't let that influence your purchases. You'll work it out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Im in Ireland actually, not a lot in the second hand market, nearest guitar shop with a right selection of amps is 2 hours drive away so basically whenever i get something its from reveiws of other people and not actually myself playing through them. Well really id like an amp that can do everything ( cliché i know) but would only like to get one amp nd stick with it for as long as possible. Would prefer something around the 50 to 60 watt range as would need to be able to play quiet but still get the good sound our of it.
My RM100 sounds just fine at low volumes, better than my RM20. Maximum power output is NOT an indicator of low volume performance. Don't fall for that marketing bs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Any knowledge on a Marshall TSL100? Two have came up for sale at 750 euro each, is this a good price for a second hand one of these? One comes with a 1960A cab and i know they are definitely not cheap
I don't like the TSL's. They were Marshall's abortionary attempt at being Mesa. Keep looking for a DSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The tone is thinner on the Tsp as they squeezed 3 channels out of the same amount of tubes as the DSL. If not mistaken cleans are good but the other two channels were a fizzy mess.
There was a mod that fixes it, but I don't remember details on it.
first off i haven't owned a dsl or tsl, but i didn't think there was going to be as much of a difference between the two. they happened to be right next to eachother in the loud room at GC. i a/b'd them and it was a world of difference on the OD, mind you that both were on cabs with V30's (not the normal t75's that marshall uses). night and day. the TSL was just a wreck. the DSL was a totally different amp, clearer, less fizzy, less muddy.

the only variable there was that they were both used, so some difference could be the tubes, but obviously i don't know what was in them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/