Hi all,

Looking for some advice as I'm a bit lost. I have Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 combo amp. It doesn't have a line out for headphones but it does have a an XLR. To play with headphones, I need to connect to a mixer (or computer, but my latop isn't suitable).

The Tubemeister manual says "the XLR connector input on the mixing desk MUST be switched to line level", which means nothing to me.

I'm looking to buy a cheap mixer to hook up to the amp. Would the Behringer XENYX 802 be suitable? Here's the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-802-Input-Bus-Mixer/dp/B000J5XS3C/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1425945996&sr=1-1&keywords=Mixer#productDetails

Thanks!
Any cheap mixer would do, downside of cheap mixers is that they have a bad headphone preamps (I worked with a few - trust me, they're awful).

It might be a better idea to consider another brand used if price is that big of a deal, look for Yamaha or Mackie. I have an ancient Fostex mixer that has wonderful headphone preamp in comparison.

This will be a better mixer if you want to also have USB connection to record:/Alesis-MultiMix USB Four Channel Mixer

or this if you don't need one:
Mackie-402VLZ4

I think you can also use XLR to 1/4 cable if not mistaken.

Alternately, you can get an audio card that has XLR input and hook up headphones to that. Upside is that it will allow you to record as well.
Some cheap audio interfaces:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
Scarlett Solo or Audiobox would do well.

Another option might just be a headphone amplifier, since you're pushing just line level this should work:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/294025-REG/Samson_SASAMP_S_amp_4_Channel.html
You'll need XLR to 1/4 for this.

Personally, I'll go with audio interface since for around $100 you'll get much better quality components in these, plus recording capability down the road.
Quote by diabolical
Any cheap mixer would do, downside of cheap mixers is that they have a bad headphone preamps (I worked with a few - trust me, they're awful).
They're headphone amps, not pre's.
Quote by diabolical
I think you can also use XLR to 1/4 cable if not mistaken.
Yeah TS you can.

In fact this is what I'd do.

Just be sure to wire pins 1 & 3 on the XLR to the shield of the jack and pin 2 on the XLR to both the tip & ring on the jack.
Quote by diabolical
Personally, I'll go with audio interface since for around $100 you'll get much better quality components in these, plus recording capability down the road.
I disagree.

$100 will get you a pretty bad sounding audio interface, and with a 402VLZ4 you could get a hell of a lot better sound if ya ask me.

If you wanna also record stuff get a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland suo capture EX.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your suggestions. These are really useful