i spent some time a while ago on recording some backing tracks on my digitech jamman delay (it was on sale cheaper than the regular jamman), and now it sounds like shit, i can't match the volume of the track with my guitar.

so i am going to do it all again.

do you put the looper first so it gets the raw tone? that was one thought i had. last thing in before input on amp? end of loop? i want to be able to recreate it so i can use it live doing solo stuff again.

soo what do you do? i need to be able to change the volume of the whole setup for different places and at home.

i have had it for a year and a half, and i have just got frustrated with it and put it away again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Usually?
I run it at the very and of the chain if I'm using it for cleans
So my clean chain goes A/B > Chorus > Delay > Looper > Amp
Or right after my A/B for dirt so my OD can go right after so it doesn't mess up the levels I boost the amp with
So the chain for that goes A/B > Looper > OD > Amp
The FX Loop would be ideal if the amp has one, mine does, but I need to mess around with it because it changes my tone, so I run it out front
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Mar 10, 2015,
I have a Ditto Looper and use that in a two amp set up through an aby pedal as, to my ears, the sound becomes too mushed all coming out of one amp. .'. The Looper goes to one amp and the unlooped guitar to the other.

Because of this any effects I want in both amps I use between the guitar and the looper any effects specific to the looped signal depends on what it has to do. An octaver for example would be up stream as it would only be used to record part of what I am looping at the point of recording. Overdrive would be the same as idont want all the parts in the loop overdriven. Reverb would be down stream as it effects the overall sound of all the looped elements.

That's how I use mine. I've seen several YouTube demos that use multiple amps as above, so it isn't a unique issue.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Last edited by John Sims at Mar 10, 2015,
If you put it last, you'll be recording exactly what you hear. And you can change settings for different layers. But at the beginning, all your effects will affect the loop. Both ways can end up with cool results.

However, it doesn't sound like a problem with chain placement. You said you can't get the volume right. I think you need to sit down with just the guitar, looper, and amp, and mess with it until you get it working right. THEN decide how you want it to interact with your effects.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
If you put it last, you'll be recording exactly what you hear. And you can change settings for different layers. But at the beginning, all your effects will affect the loop. Both ways can end up with cool results.

However, it doesn't sound like a problem with chain placement. You said you can't get the volume right. I think you need to sit down with just the guitar, looper, and amp, and mess with it until you get it working right. THEN decide how you want it to interact with your effects.

i am impatient with some things, i just get mad and say screw it and tuck it back into the closet.

but what i mean is that if i do the looping on amp "A" at home volume (doesn't exist i can really play as loud as i want), and i hook it up to something that is gig level, on that amp "A" or if switching amps to amp"B" it just doesn't work well.

i am still confused on placement though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ohhhhh I get it now. I wasn't following what you meant. Yeah that's odd. I don't know exactly what to do in that situation. Sorry :/

But for placement, decide what you need. Do you ever need to change effects while a loop is playing, because that definitely narrows it down. Also, would you like to be able to manipulate the loops with effects like modulation or delay? that could influence the decsion.

I personally like my looper at the end, but right now I have it after overdrives and before 2 delays and a reverb. It' fun to add delay and reverb to the loops and mess with them while the loop plays, but I'll eventually move it around because sometimes I want to change settings and it screws up the loop's sound when I do.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The loop it's self is a digital recording so that isn't changing.

If you have used effects between the looper and the amp previously you need those effects in place again To sound the same.

Any effects before the looper will be locked into the recording in the looper.

After that it is down to how the amp is handling the signal and how you hear it. While I'm going to say it( and then shove my head below the parapet) the amp is behaving differently because it is at higher volume. And stuff sounds different loud.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Typically the looper should be at the end of a chain and amplified by the cleanest amp possible. Anything else will tend to cause a muddy playback getting worse with each added overdub.