So i had this on my mind for quite some time and i need some assistance. It's a really simple question but i'm a noob :p

Can I combine the FX possibilities of a modelling pre-amp/combo amp, lets say a fender mustang with an audio interface (which i'm thinking of getting scarlett) and get the best of both worlds? I'm focusing more on recording because i don't have a band in which i'm a guitarist right now, but the versatility of digital modelling brought my attention.

I know there's plugins for guitar modelling on the pc, but if i'm going to record songs and who knows play them live someday, it'd be best that I could get the exact same sound that i design at home, right?

Thanks in advance! Hope to hear some constructive feedback ^^
(Oh and by the way, another question, what are your opinions on this compared to the line 6 pod hd500x?)
the V2 series of the mustang have a line out right?

cause if they do, yes.
If they don't, yeah. you could connect your FX out to your pc and then use an impulse response for the cab sound.
But it will NEVER sound exactly the same as you hear in the room though.

I cannot tell you anything about the hd500x though.
Quote by jcristo.drake
Can I combine the FX possibilities of a modelling pre-amp/combo amp, lets say a fender mustang with an audio interface (which i'm thinking of getting scarlett) and get the best of both worlds?
No.
It would work but it won't sound as good es you expect 'cause it will lack important pieces of the signal chain (namely, the speaker), and running modeling amps and/or fx processors into audio interfaces for the whole thing to be fed to amp sims never really yields good results.

If you want digital modeling stick to amp sims - hella more convenient, and arguably better sounding than the mustang for a variety of stuff.

Also scarlett's sound fairly bad if ya ask me, was I you I'd much rather go for a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture ex.
Quote by jcristo.drake
I know there's plugins for guitar modelling on the pc, but if i'm going to record songs and who knows play them live someday, it'd be best that I could get the exact same sound that i design at home, right?
That's a good idea indeed, but there will be so many differences between your live setup and your home recording setup that the thing won't sound the same anyway, so you might as well get a different, better sounding, different amp and use that one live while using amp sims for recording at home.
Quote by jcristo.drake
(Oh and by the way, another question, what are your opinions on this compared to the line 6 pod hd500x?)
Or, yes, you could get a pod hd, that'll work better for live performances and recording 'cause in each case you could simply connect the pod's output (either USB if you're at home or line if you're playing live) to whatever system you'll be needing to (computer and FOH respectively).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.