I really enjoy playing guitar. I've played off an on for a few years,and just recently started really getting into it pretty good. I always have this thing in the back of my mind with all this new technology coming out will guitar be rendered completely irrelevant and all my efforts wasted? I'm going to keep playing because I enjoy it,but that thought comes into my mind every now and again.
No, real instruments will never die. The only people I've seen seriously act like they think real instruments are for idiots who can't see the way of the future blah blah blah RIM are just pretentious bastards with a superiority complex.

I have no problem with electronic music, but it sure makes you look stupid when you try to act like it's objectively better. Having a larger color palette doesn't necessarily make for a better painting. And sure, having tons of sounds available to you is cool, but people will always like the sound of real instruments, and more importantly, people will always want to see and play live music.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
No, real instruments will never die. The only people I've seen seriously act like they think real instruments are for idiots who can't see the way of the future blah blah blah RIM are just pretentious bastards with a superiority complex.

I have no problem with electronic music, but it sure makes you look stupid when you try to act like it's objectively better. Having a larger color palette doesn't necessarily make for a better painting. And sure, having tons of sounds available to you is cool, but people will always like the sound of real instruments, and more importantly, people will always want to see and play live music.

this ^^^^
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Yeah, nothing like the real thing, technology may imitate every possible instrument, but does none of them as well as the original.

Yeah a noob can set something to dminor and rip out everything in key, sound cool, write good stuff, but there's something extra special about seeing a proper instrument played well, any instrument...maybe cowbell and triangle are an exception.
Quote by Tempoe
Yeah, nothing like the real thing, technology may imitate every possible instrument, but does none of them as well as the original.

Yeah a noob can set something to dminor and rip out everything in key, sound cool, write good stuff, but there's something extra special about seeing a proper instrument played well, any instrument...maybe cowbell and triangle are an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSS6_eDHiE
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
You have to ask yourself what is technology?

Agriculture is technology. Sure, there are factory farms and GMO bananas, but the home-grown tomato from your garden is still best, right?

Technology as you're referring to it is an innovation, an attempt to make guitar playing easier, more versatile, or otherwise "add something" you have to buy that will expand the use of guitar in some way, probably to sell a product. Right?

The guitar itself, however, is a revolutionary piece of technology. It's like the plow. Sure you can plow a field yourself or with an ox, or you can buy a tractor, whatever, it's still a plow. The only thing that changes, from the Amish with the horsedrawn cart to the multinational corporate factory farm chain is what is used to pull the plow, otherwise it's just a plow.

So don't worry about it.
don't think so

The invention of the electric guitar didn't render the acoustic guitar obsolete, it just pushed the boundaries of what the guitar is capable of doing. Same with the invention of the synthesizer with regard to pianos. There is still a demand for acoustic guitar and piano music.
Guitars are very versatile and portable instruments.

They are quite easily outdone as you get into specific things like chords and playing leads, but I think technology will continue to improve the guitar's shortcomings instead of render it obsolete- for awhile anyway.

I'm surprised electric violins aren't more popular- most of the innovations on guitars can be applied to the violin as well.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by snipelfritz
There's a reason the synthaxe has been so popular since the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqdVQ9VdoAg

That dolphin shit at the end was really gay.

TS, I've been playing since I was 16 in 2007. Not once did that thought occur to me. Just play to enjoy it. Ask yourself what you meant by "All your efforts wasted." Did you plan on making money with your guitar?
Last edited by metaldud536 at Mar 10, 2015,
Quote by snipelfritz
There's a reason the synthaxe has been so popular since the 80's

That's one ugly instrument
This totally depends on your purpose for playing.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
I have no problem with technology or technology being melded with traditional instruments, I love electronic music and I also love the possibilities of running a guitar with a Kaoss pad or running it through digital processors.

On the other hand, shit like self-tuning guitars is getting out of hand.
Cry yourself to ash
We will likely see decreased use of various non-sustainable "tonewoods" in acoustic guitars, and more attempts to use synthetic materials. Carbon fiber is a niche market at present but does appear to be holding on.

We are already seeing electric guitars set up to directly interface with computers and solid-state recording devices as well as regular amplifiers; several newer models come with USB ports.

However... The violin is essentially unchanged for several hundred years at least, as are the other orchestral stringed instruments. Likewise brass and other instruments... The ergonomics of these instruments have been very well-refined and it's hard to imagine much improvement in that regard.

The guitar as presently designed is attractive, easy to manage, and easy to play at beginner level, and an entry level instrument is quite cheap.... Hard to see any great changes.
Guitars are obsolete, it's all Macbooks now. You might as well be learning a dead language.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.