Hello everyone,

I'm making my first tiny steps in the world of guitar playing. I'm mostly learning through Rocksmith 2014 on my Macbook. I must say that Rocksmith turns out to be a very useful and funny tool to play with.

Anyway, so far I used a Mexican Stratocaster I borrowed from a fiend of mine, but the time has come for to buy my own first guitar. The overall feeling with my friend's strato was ok, but the price for such a guitar is a little over what I feel comfortable with spending right now. Also, I'd like to know what alternatives I have, also considering my music tastes and so on.

I visited a few guitar shops here in London, but I have never felt sure enough to buy anything, as I am almost totally clueless (right now I can just do power chords, a couple of scales and little more) and I tend not to blindly trust the suggestions of the shop owners/clerks. That's why I'm looking for advices on this forum.

I'll follow the scheme in https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

BUDGET:
My budget is around 300£ tops, which doesn't mean I necessarily want to spend 300£. If there's a decent guitar at 150£ that fits my needs I will for sure prefer it over a more expensive one that doesn't.

FAVORITE ARTISTS:
I do have a rather broad range of artists I'd like to play, and what I'm looking for would be an all-round guitar that doesn't make me feel limited in scope. For instance, I found out that the an Ibanez SA serie, though being generally good and within my budget, doesn't really play well with distortions and the likes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYUZfySLQJQ), and has a very hi gain. In any case, it is my understanding that there's no such thing as an 'all-round' guitar, so here's a list of bands I'd like to play (in no particular order): Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, White stripes, Pink Floyd, Mogwai, Bob Dylan, Deftones, Nine inch nails, Metallica, Nirvava, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, System of a Down, Green Day, Cure, Joy Division.

PREFERENCES:
In case it helps, I'm not a big guitar-solo fan, I'd rather like the guitar to show some "guts" (if that means something to you :p when playing more heavy stuff. In terms of shapes, I honestly don't really like the Stratocaster or Telecaster shapes. I think I am more a Les Paul type? But the shape is not that relevant.

PICKUPS:
Unfortunately I don't know enough about guitars to be able to tell my pickups/configurations preferences.

NEW or USED:
Either. I guess new ones are easier to find. I don't really care about spending 50£ more, if that means a more hassle-free buying (and support) experience at an actual shop

London (Zone 1 and 2, 3 at most), or an online that ships to UK fast enough and at a reasonable price.

CURRENT GEAR:
As I mentioned, I tried my friend's Mexian Stratocaster and I have not anything strong against it. But it's too expensive. I have read good things about Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I noticed that some guitars feature 'Vintage' or 'Classic' adjective (e.g., Squier Classic Vibe). I am not sure whether this implies that they are more suited for classic rock (e.g., 70s, 80s) sound.

I guess that'all

Thanks.
You can get a used Mim stratocaster for 200.

Also Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are great guitars for the money.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
You can get a used Mim stratocaster for 200.

Also Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified are great guitars for the money.

Yep.

The classic vibe and vintage modified are made by Squier (if you didn't know)

Vintage brand guitars are a good value in the UK also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yep.

The classic vibe and vintage modified are made by Squier (if you didn't know)

Vintage brand guitars are a good value in the UK also

I own a Vintage Bass, it's ok. But I have better basses now.

I think the differences with the CV and the VM are that they're based on different time periods. The VM is a vintage styled instrument with some modern updates.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I hate to be that guy, but a Yamaha Pacifica would suit you very well I suppose. It has a humbucker for the distorted sounds of, for example, Metallica and single coils for Pink Floyd. It only costs around 190 pounds, and it is very good in terms of price/quality.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112v_bl.htm

But it is a Strat shape, and you don't like them very much.

If you want a Les Paul model in your price range, take a look at the Epiphones.
Last edited by DanyFS at Mar 10, 2015,
i just got a £160 guitar off gumtree for £70, the guy also put humbucker pickup on it too i think, i would recommend looking gumtree if you're willing to get on a bus!! (im complete newb but the guitar sounds amazing)

its ivenaz gsa 60 which is rated 8.1 on the review site..... its awesome
Last edited by percydw at Mar 10, 2015,
MIM strat would be a fine choice, possibly a Gretsch electromatic. The strat will be a very nice guitar and handle most anything you throw at it (in my humble opinion).
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by DanyFS
I hate to be that guy, but a Yamaha Pacifica would suit you very well I suppose. It has a humbucker for the distorted sounds of, for example, Metallica and single coils for Pink Floyd. It only costs around 190 pounds, and it is very good in terms of price/quality.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112v_bl.htm

But it is a Strat shape, and you don't like them very much.

If you want a Les Paul model in your price range, take a look at the Epiphones.

Good option also.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
someone mentioned Vintage and i'll second that. i have a VS6 (i think that's the model it's an SG copy) pretty sure you could find a used one for the money you have. SG style will fit the bill for what you want.

just as a side note don't get to caught up in the certain guitars are meant for_____ thing. while some guitars are desgned with certain genres of music in mind that doesn't mean that they can only be used for that. i use what many consider a "metal" guitar to play blues and i use my strat to play metal type stuff.
"Vintage" are well worth a look i have their Les Paul goldtop and its incredible value for the money, most epiphone LP's are good for the money but plz plz stay away from the Les Paul special II, they are awful.. just awful and yeah squire CV should deffo be considered.
Quote by DanyFS
I hate to be that guy, but a Yamaha Pacifica would suit you very well I suppose.
Why do you hate to be that guy? The Pacifica is the only suggestion anyone should be giving
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Why do you hate to be that guy? The Pacifica is the only suggestion anyone should be giving

It was just an expression

I guess you're right, for his budget and the sound that he wants, the Yamaha Pacifica is very difficult to be beaten.
Last edited by DanyFS at Mar 11, 2015,
Yamaha Pacifica, as Dany said.
It's cheap, and made of good quality wood. You can buy it and from there on explore. If you decide guitar isn't for you, not much money lost. It has a humbucker in the bridge so if you want to play some heavier stuff there's no need to change anything.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112v_ovs.htm

Alternatively you can get some Epi Les Paul. But I personally wouldn't. Most of the epiphones are low quality, from the Standard up is when you get into the good stuff.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Yamaha Pacifica, as Dany said.
It's cheap, and made of good quality wood. You can buy it and from there on explore. If you decide guitar isn't for you, not much money lost. It has a humbucker in the bridge so if you want to play some heavier stuff there's no need to change anything.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_pacifica_112v_ovs.htm

Alternatively you can get some Epi Les Paul. But I personally wouldn't. Most of the epiphones are low quality, from the Standard up is when you get into the good stuff.

I share the same opinion about Epiphones.

Plus, if you get it from Thomann and you don't like it, you can return it in 30 days after receiving it and you get your money back, no questions asked. And the shipping is also free.
Best cheap guitars are the pacifica by miles. If you don't like strat shape try Aria PE. Really great axes for the cash.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by DanyFS

Plus, if you get it from Thomann and you don't like it, you can return it in 30 days after receiving it and you get your money back, no questions asked. And the shipping is also free.

Just bear in mind that, if you return it because you don't like it (rather than because it's faulty) you might have to pay return shipping (and maybe even shipping to you as well). Not certain, but it'd be worth looking into.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yamaha > Epi if you want new.

I have both a pac012 and an Epi LP Special 2. I use rocksmith as well.

I'm happy with the performance of the Yamaha. It sounds okay, stays in tune, and doesn't have any particularly glaring issues.

The Spec2 on the other hand needs a nut job(probably get a graphtech), and a rewire(grounding issues, cheap wires and pots, poor quality control). That's about 60 dollars worth of parts and then the labor right out of the box. Possibly new pickups, dunno.

Used? Buy someones baby, or buy someone who bought gear then never used it. Probably a better route than buying a new Spec2.
Last edited by grimmwold.ds at Mar 12, 2015,
Quote by grimmwold.ds
Yamaha > Epi if you want new.

I have both a pac012 and an Epi LP Special 2. I use rocksmith as well.

TS has a far bigger budget than resorting to buy either of those guitars.

Regarding Epiphone, anything Standard or above is fine. Anything below that is not worth your time.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Regarding Epiphone, anything Standard or above is fine. Anything below that is not worth your time.

Aware of that.

Since he mentioned a spec 2 and some people suggested a Yamaha, I felt it was relevant and informative. Sorry it didn't meet your standards.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The studio is a solid guitar, just really plain looking.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The studio is a solid guitar, just really plain looking.

Yeah but why get a Studio when the Standard barely costs any more yet looks so much better? (IMO)
Quote by grimmwold.ds
Aware of that.

Since he mentioned a spec 2 and some people suggested a Yamaha, I felt it was relevant and informative. Sorry it didn't meet your standards.

Apology accepted.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I've read/seen a few reviews and the Yamaha Pacifica is really growing on me. It seems it has all the features I am looking for.

thank you everyone for your suggestions!