Hello everybody.
I'm currently using 13-64 gauge in C# right now, and sometimes I've wanted to drop the low string to B, but I need something between 72 and 80, because I like high tension and a 70 is for C according to cleartone, and I can slightly agree with them.
I want to buy an individual bass string, instead of buying standard guitar strings between 60-70 in sets of 5. But the problem is the ball end, which is bigger. Somebody on internet managed to put bass strings in his guitar, so what I'm asking is whether anybody can a suggest a way to put a bass string in (I know about the nut and tuning peg issues, but I can do that, it's just the ball end).
I appreciate any ideas, but I don't want anybody advising me to use lower gauges than 70 or recommending anything else, because I know what I need for the gear (saying this in the nicest possible way).
Thank you.
Last edited by jzRTCAQ!PY13575 at Mar 10, 2015,
Is your guitar string thru? Like the strings go through the body? You could remove the lowest string ferrule, drill out the hole bigger and install a bass ferrule (which you can buy on stewmac). If you have a tune-o matic with a stop tailpiece you're kinda screwed on this one. Though there's no real problem with the bass ball end sticking out other than aesthetics.

Alternatively you can buy separate 72 strings made for guitar or buy custom sets with a 72. Guitarstringsonline.com lets you build a custom set from D'Addario, DR, Dunlop, Dean Markley or Elixer (don't know if you are dead set on using cleartones). D'Addario goes up to .80 with guitar ball ends.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I wonder if you could just drill out a TOM tailpiece hole. Seems like it should work. A good machinist might also be able to drill out the sustain block if you have a trem. I don't see any other issues with the ball end besides maybe binding in the tailpiece.
Quote by Roc8995
I wonder if you could just drill out a TOM tailpiece hole. Seems like it should work. A good machinist might also be able to drill out the sustain block if you have a trem. I don't see any other issues with the ball end besides maybe binding in the tailpiece.

I think a bass ball end might be wider than a lot of trem sustain blocks. Not a huuuge problem but it might just look funny having more of a slot than a hole
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
@TheStig1214 nah, wouldn't be bothered about aesthetics, I just don't know if that ball end will cause any damage the tremolo. The string will be able to get in, I know that, just not sure about the ball end. what do you think?
The only issue is you will definitely not be able to put the trem plate on with no modification. And the ball end might clip you and bit you if it's sticking far enough out the back end of the guitar. Like Roc suggested, you could take it to a machine shop (or if you have a drill press and bits good for drilling metal) you could take like a 1/4" bit, drill a new hole in the sustain block to take the bass ball end and everything is good. You don't even need to go that deep either depending on the length of your string (bass strings are pretty long so I doubt there will be an issue) you just need to go deep enough to make the ball end flush with the bottom of the trem block.

Or, alternatively, like I said. There are .70-.80 strings with guitar ball ends. I only buy custom sets for my 7 string anymore. D'Addario 10-52 with a .70 for the B. All guitar ball ends. And the site I use I mentioned above goes up to .80.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
I think a bass ball end might be wider than a lot of trem sustain blocks. Not a huuuge problem but it might just look funny having more of a slot than a hole

I wonder if there's be an issue with that whole length of string going to the bottom of the block? I can see it causing tuning issues when using the trem, I can't think of a trem that has any afterlength of the string after the fulcrum. I suspect there's a reason for that.

On the other hand it might be perfectly fine. If it were me I'd just try it out, see what happens, then troubleshoot any issues that might arise. I don't think it would cause any damage, it just might not work well.