My band uses 6 string guitars and plays in drop A so the tuning we use is A E A D F# B. Were thinking about switching to 7s which would be in A E A D G B E so the G replaces the F# on 6s, but since weve already written songs with our 6s in the 6 string tuning, I was wondering if we could just tune our 7s to A E A D F# B E so that way everything would be directly transferable? Or would that sound off for any reason?
I dont see why it wouldnt work. People use all sorts of weird tunings and sound fine. It will make it harder to solo tho.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
You can use whatever tuning you want. Use whatever works for you. So yeah, it would work. An F# is an F# regardless of the amount of strings. It won't sound off, as long as it's in tune.

Standard tunings are just most common tunings. You don't need to use a standard tuning if something works better for you. Tuning the G string to F# just makes you treat the instrument a bit differently - in this case it would be a (drop tuned) 6 string guitar + an extra high string, rather than a 6 string guitar (in standard tuning) + an extra low string (like a normal 7 string).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 10, 2015,
Actually many lutes and other guitar ancestors used EADF#BE tuning, so it's not uncommon. All you're doing is moving the major 3rd interval down one, and adding another string. Quite possibly the simplest way to think about it, is you're essentially getting a baritone guitar, and adding another high string. So theoretically, you basically have the most versitile baritone guitar, able to do anything a normal baritone can do (and the lead player has an extra string to doodle with if he so chooses), except now with a simple semi tone re tune (F#-G), you have a fully functional 7 string.

I've actually wanted to try this for a long time (don't have a seven string tho )
That tuning is a great advantage that 7 strings have. Simply dropping to that f# completely changes the way the guitar is played because it makes the 1st string the "extra" string instead of the 7th.

When I first found out about that tuning it blew my mind.
That tuning makes the most sense if you want a 'dropped' style tuning. My band uses two 7 string guitars and a 5 string bass, but we prefer standard tunings and use the normal BEADGBE tunings because the chords and intervals make more sense that way. If your music works better with dropped tunings, then that definitely seems like the best way to go... I feel like I repeated myself somewhere in there, but whatever.

Something I thought of a while back and would like to try is two long scale 8 string guitars tuned to EBEADGBE so that both could play 'bass' and both could play 'guitar' and have their tone a little different and switch back and forth whenever.
FifthThirdBank This is actually a question about Drop A tuning on six string guitars. What string gauge do you use so that your strings aren't turned into freakin' spaghetti? I've got an Epiphone Les Paul that want to tune down to Drop A without the strings looking like spaghetti.
jhillar You're gonna want your low string to be at least a 56 in my opinion. 56-60 should keep em tight. These are killer: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dean-markley-2557-dt-blue-steel-drop-tune-electric-guitar-strings?rNtt=blue%20steel&index=15
Beyond that it's just trial and error, figure out what gauge feels good and sounds good. Be careful though, putting on too thick of strings can warp your neck
Last edited by FifthThirdBank at Aug 5, 2017,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Something I thought of a while back and would like to try is two long scale 8 string guitars tuned to EBEADGBE so that both could play 'bass' and both could play 'guitar'

I know this is old, but I know that you are still around. This is something a pot of people think of and while it is a nice thought, it doesn't really work that way. Everything from pickups to scale length to string gauge and tension and many other things are different and the differences result in very different tones. This becomes more obvious when you put it into a band situation and decent volume. Having the same range in terms of notes certainly doesn't mean that they behave the same way in terms of tone, attack, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 6, 2017,
Quote by theogonia777
I know this is old, but I know that you are still around. This is something a pot of people think of and while it is a nice thought, it doesn't really work that way. Everything from pickups to scale length to string gauge and tension and many other things are different and the differences result in very different tones. This becomes more obvious when you put it into a band situation and decent volume. Having the same range in terms of notes certainly doesn't mean that they behave the same way in terms of tone, attack, etc.

except animals as leaders has been doing that for like 5 years lol
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
except animals as leaders has been doing that for like 5 years lol

with their 0/10/8 eq and 1000hz hpf so the low strings are even less bassy
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
with their 0/10/8 eq and 1000hz hpf so the low strings are even less bassy

who needs bass in good music anyway
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
who needs bass in good music anyway

i guess that's why you can't get any work
Quote by theogonia777
I know this is old, but I know that you are still around.  This is something a pot of people think of and while it is a nice thought, it doesn't really work that way.  Everything from pickups to scale length to string gauge and tension and many other things are different and the differences result in very different tones.  This becomes more obvious when you put it into a band situation and decent volume.  Having the same range in terms of notes certainly doesn't mean that they behave the same way in terms of tone, attack, etc.

Yea, after posting that I think I did some research and decided if I were to do it I'd need to go with something more like a baritone scale length for it to sound half decent. I never actually went through with it and lost interest.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Yea, after posting that I think I did some research and decided if I were to do it I'd need to go with something more like a baritone scale length for it to sound half decent. I never actually went through with it and lost interest.

most ERGs use fanned frets now, FWIW
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
most ERGs use fanned frets now, FWIW

WIW is not much tbf

Everyone should just play accordion so they could play chord stabs, bass, and lead all at the same time while also looking silly.
Quote by theogonia777
WIW is not much tbf

Everyone should just play accordion so they could play chord stabs, bass, and lead all at the same time while also looking silly.

shut the fuck up frank
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.