Hi all,

I am going to be purchasing a blackstar HT-1RH head as my DSL40C is simply too loud to play in my apartment.

What 1x12 cab should I purchase if I want to get a huge, thick sound out of this head? I was considering THIS 1x12 cab since it appears to have been designed specifically for the HT-1RH head.

I want something that will give me a huge, thick sound. I play anything from stuff with heavy gain to stuff with cleans. My budget is $250. Can you guys give me some suggestions? If it helps I will be playing through this with a Les Paul Traditional (thick, mahogany body). Thanks!
Last edited by kingneptune117 at Mar 10, 2015,
Quote by kingneptune117
Hi all,

I am going to be purchasing a blackstar HT-1RH head as my DSL40C is simply too loud to play in my apartment.

What 1x12 cab should I purchase if I want to get a huge, thick sound out of this head? I was considering THIS 1x12 cab since it appears to have been designed specifically for the HT-1RH head.

I want something that will give me a huge, thick sound. I play anything from stuff with heavy gain to stuff with cleans. My budget is $250. Can you guys give me some suggestions? If it helps I will be playing through this with a Les Paul Traditional (thick, mahogany body). Thanks!

None. To get a huge thick sound you need volume.

Get a POD HD and a decent set of headphones and call it a day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Huge, thick sound with the HT-1? Nope. Not in my experience. Not at any volume.

Stock 1x12 isn't going to help matters, you're going to want something bigger and with a decent speaker. Maybe you could score a used full-size 1x12 or empty 2x12 and some Warehouse speakers.

Honestly I think you'd get better results by either getting a really good metal distortion pedal so you can keep the Marshall master way down, or better yet a modeler like a POD HD so you can crank it through headphones and keep the Marshall for when you need volume.

Edit: beaten to it. Robb is right.
I mean I don't understand you can't play it at bedroom level?
Is your volume knob broken?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
that amp is not going to solve you problems. its cheap, thin and weak sounding. you won't get a creamy tone out of it, period.

learn how to use a master volume knob or buy a pod.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have listened to many demos of the ht-1r and it is regarded as a fantastic practice amp. I am looking for the cab that will make it sound as thick and full as possible. The dsl40c is a fantastic amp but i can't help but feel it is too much. it is very heavy and cumbersome, where as the ht-1r would be more manageable. And lastly, I have yet to crank the power tubes on the dsl40c since doing so requires a volume much higher than I could play in my apartment. With the ht-1, I could crank those tubes and get a better tone.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that amp is not going to solve you problems. its cheap, thin and weak sounding. you won't get a creamy tone out of it, period.

learn how to use a master volume knob or buy a pod.

The DSL40C does not have a master volume knob.
Quote by kingneptune117
I have listened to many demos of the ht-1r and it is regarded as a fantastic practice amp. I am looking for the cab that will make it sound as thick and full as possible. The dsl40c is a fantastic amp but i can't help but feel it is too much. it is very heavy and cumbersome, where as the ht-1r would be more manageable. And lastly, I have yet to crank the power tubes on the dsl40c since doing so requires a volume much higher than I could play in my apartment. With the ht-1, I could crank those tubes and get a better tone.

whatever you say

ask and ignore.

i don't think its regarded as fantastic for anything. its not easier to move if you have a cab with it.

you probably aren't near powertube distortion on your DSL. they get damn loud before that. run an OD in the front and use the master volume knob. its doable. 1 watt through a V30 at 1 meter is over a hundred decibels. too loud still.

cranking tubes does not mean it sounds better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by kingneptune117

sure it does.

also if you can't crank 40 watts you can't crank 1 watt.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
To be in agreement with the guys here

I once owned a HT5 (Not the same but close enough) I got rid of it in a few weeks and traded it in for a guitar.

Couldn't get any thick tones out of it. If I multitracked it maybe, but it wasn't for me.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Never used one, but maybe an attenuator is the solution?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by kingneptune117

It's apparently NOT regarded as a fantastic practice amp around here. You should be aware that "cranking the power tubes" doesn't happen on MOST amps, and that most modern sounds are done in the preamp stages anyway.

If you want something lightweight and that will give you thick and full until your ears bleed, my suggestion is a Pod HD (even the "bean" model) and a set of GOOD headphones (AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770, Sony 7506 -- these are in the $100-200 range. Stay away from bass-boosted things like Beats, etc.). That and a copy of meambobbo's tone guide for the Pod HD (it's free; http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ ).
Quote by kingneptune117

Agreed, it has 2, one for each channel...

If noise levels are a concern, you won't be able to crank 1 watt into power tube distortion either.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Thanks for the suggestions. The POD HD does look attractive. Is there any way for me to run the POD HD through a cab, or does it have to be through headphones? If I want to run it through a cab do I need an amp as well? Thanks.
Quote by kingneptune117
Thanks for the suggestions. The POD HD does look attractive. Is there any way for me to run the POD HD through a cab, or does it have to be through headphones? If I want to run it through a cab do I need an amp as well? Thanks.

If you want volume, run it through a powered wedge or similar.

You can also run it into the FX return on your Marshall.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin