23 62%
n
10 27%
?
11 30%
Voters: 37.
it'll be appealed no doubt
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
good how long until sly stone is a gajillionaire again and can finally move outta his van since everybody be ripping him off like its nbd for the last 40 years
“Right now, I feel free,” Marvin Gaye’s daughter, Nona Gaye, said after the verdict. “Free from … Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke’s chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told.”

lol

Guy makes song and makes money with song.
Guy dies.
Other guys make similar song decades later and make money.
Family of dead guy is entitled to all that money.

I wish they just banned all forms of entertainment just to get all this dumb shit over with.
Quote by ultimate-slash
lol

Guy makes song and makes money with song.
Guy dies. After being shot by his own father
Other guys make similar song decades later and make money.
Family of dead guy Feels entitled to all that money.

I wish they just banned all forms of entertainment just to get all this dumb shit over with.

Talk about a dysfunctional family.
This is bullshit. Guarantee the jury was just tired of that song. Lyrics and melody are the only copyrightable elements of a song. That's why Sam Smith justifiably owes Petty/Lynne and why this is stupid.
#DTWD
I hate that song but this is definite bs.

I mean the only thing the songs share is a similar backing beat, the melody is pretty different.

Wouldn't be surprised if the jury awarded it from feeling bad for Gaye's family in general and wanted to give them some money. The emotional family members on tv afterwards suggest that card was pulled.

I guess next is MJ's family suing Mark Ronson, but they are probably doing okay with cash so prob won't
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The backing beat is shit, Marvin Gaye should have been sued for it also
I have nothing important to say
Meh, I've heard plenty of much way more deserving songs of being sued for copying others.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Does this mean all rappers who sample other songs can now be sued? What about weird al, is he going to go bankrupt?
Correct verdict, the song is a total rip-off.

Quote by Wormholes
Does this mean all rappers who sample other songs can now be sued? What about weird al, is he going to go bankrupt?
No and no. Sample clearance and permission respectively.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Mmmmm....this is kinda one of those grey situations. The beat is very similar, and the bassline for Blurred Lines was heavily inspired by Gaye's song. But those vocals, both the cadence and melodies (despite being in the same key) feel a little too different imo. This could've probably been avoided if the instrument arrangement wasn't exactly the same: Vocals, drums/beat, bass. If they added a little guitar, or saxophone, the song would be too different.........and probably also a lot better
Last edited by bdof at Mar 11, 2015,
One of Marvin Gaye's family was on the news crying and saying how she felt freed from "the chains of Pharell Williams and Robin Thicke". Talk about hyperbole.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Well, can you imagine your dad singing a song and then years later hearing another song sung over a similar beat and bass line? This is the kind of stuff people need therapy for. Serious stuff man.
I know, they're in my prayers. How dare anyone suggest that this was a cynical money-grab.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by MeTallIcA313
It's only payback for having to hear that awful song everywhere.

this
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Don't like Blurred Lines (Marvin Gaye>>>>>>>Robin Thicke) but this is still stupid.

There are millions of artists who should be sued using the logic of 'woah the songs sound similar'.

Time to make the country music industry collapse.
Lol, similar kinda feel to the beat but that's about it. If people wanna crack down on everything that sounds similar, can we start by abolishing Five Finger Death Punch's take on Bad Company, because it's just lifts the middle section of Powerslave by Iron Maiden, and manipulates it for its verses, so I never have to hear the cringey "I was boooorn, with a shotgun in my haaaaand" line?

Maiden (starts at 2:35, should play from there with this link)

Five Finger Death Punch
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
when the artist dies this shit should go into public domain anyways

hi lead zeppelin i love your bass work
> implying that pop music can be original

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by MinterMan22
hi lead zeppelin i love your bass work

hey i heard they had at least one black friend each and not even the same black friend, back off
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Reminded me of this

Seriously, since 1980 there's been six country songs written over and over. People tend to associate feuding with hip-hop and old rock bands but country stars do it too in an even more petty/hilarious way (see this Such a superficial crowd lol) . All we need is to get two pissed off at each other for stealing each other's songs and that entire Nashville country label sect of music will explode on itself.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
It's only payback for having to hear that awful song everywhere.

which one?

because i might have murdered someone midway through my shift if i was still working at Shop Rite and had to hear that ****ing "Happy" song one more goddamn time.

i might care more about this from a legal precedence perspective if Robin Thicke wasn't a douche and that song didn't suck.

it is good on mute tho.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
which one?

because i might have murdered someone midway through my shift if i was still working at Shop Rite and had to hear that ****ing "Happy" song one more goddamn time.

i might care more about this from a legal precedence perspective if Robin Thicke wasn't a douche and that song didn't suck.

it is good on mute tho.

my shop rite only plays the hottest of hot 80s jams
The only thing that makes the songs sound similar is the beat.

It's clear that the beat of the song was inspired by the Gaye song. But you don't need to give credits for inspiration.

They aren't really even in the same key. The video TS posted had the songs "transposed" to the same key (and that doesn't even matter).

The vocals are way different, the chords are different. Even the bassline is different (it just has a similar kind of "feel" to it).

I was actually thinking about posting a thread about this when I heard about this in the morning.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by soundgarden1986
my shop rite only plays the hottest of hot 80s jams

do they play that awful Bon Jovi pasta sauce commercial with the two dorks from PLJ all the time?

from just the month i was working there it's stuck in my head and part of me wants a lobotomy so i never have to remember it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by slipknot5678
Seriously, since 1980 there's been six country songs written over and over. People tend to associate feuding with hip-hop and old rock bands but country stars do it too in an even more petty/hilarious way (see this Such a superficial crowd lol) . All we need is to get two pissed off at each other for stealing each other's songs and that entire Nashville country label sect of music will explode on itself.

I love country music, but I still find it impossible to defend the genre considering what it's become. There are a few modern artists I like who are keeping the traditional style alive whilst also doing their own thing with it but that's always overshadowed by the poppy tailgate/beer shite which has become standard for the genre these days. It's a real shame.

On topic, I remember messing around with keyboards at school which had all kinds of different sounds and instruments built in. Pretty much everyone I know at some point loaded up the latin sounding percussion which had a few whistles and similar noises and just mashed the keys in a random rhythm. That is pretty much all I can hear in common between the two songs, I wouldn't call that 'inspiration'.
oh wow yea, the simplest section of one song is quite similar to the simplest section of another song, call the coast guard
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
i thought the Beastie Boys' win in the Newton v Diamond case would have set some kind of precedent.

well, never mind, that was actual sampling, so this is even dumber.