UG-

Title says it all. Use for this unit will almost exclusively be for church where I plug strait into the PA/mix board. Started thinking that the ME-80 is for me, but i'm not sure, maybe the POD. Wanted to get y'alls opinion on both of them and or if there is something else I should look at. Thanks
Personally I'd choose the Zoom G5.

My opinion of Boss is based on my old ME50 - liked how it worked, didn't like the drives & distortions. I've tried a few Line 6 products & never got on with them, but the Zoom works exactly how I like a pedal to work. Quality wise Zoom & Line 6 are about the same.

Really though, it's about which works best for you. All are worth considering, but you'll need to try them to make a final decision.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I had HD500. It sucked. Now use ME80. It rocks...there's my answer.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Quote by crackerjack123
I had HD500. It sucked. Now use ME80. It rocks...there's my answer.

could you go into a little more in depth?

from my experience the pod HD500 was pretty nice, but did takes some time to dial in because of the immense options. is that what you didn't like?

or the tone?

were you using the 4CM?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm using Pods.

The HD500x is more expensive than the ME-80 and the ME-80 is maybe a bit less complicated (though I hate seeing all those knobs on a floor model MultiFX unit). Something like 30 (!) knobs? It wouldn't survive in some of the seedy bars I've been known to play in <G>. If you're mostly going to use it in church, you should be okay.

Premier Guitar describes the ME-80 as a "set of smart design compromises," and gave it 3.5 stars (of 5) for the quality of the tones. They were unimpressed in person, but BOSS buys a whale of a lot of advertising in their magazine. One of the guys from PG at NAMM sniffed at it and said, "It's a sort of amateur piece, not pro-grade." That's not necessarily a bash, just a categorization, and it's his, not mine. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I use the Pods in several ways that you may not *ever* care about. In the aforementioned seedy bars, I'll put a Line 6 foot pedal out front and connect it with just an ethernet cable to the Pod bean in the backline. No AC power down front where beer and bodily fluids abound is a good idea, IMHO. I can still hit expression pedals, tap tempo, tuner, presets, etc. out front, and if a foot pedal is damaged, I can sub in a backup without worrying about the delicate electronics. I don't have expensive guitar cables plugged into a floor unit. I can send MIDI commands to, for example, a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. in the backline, or to a sequencer on a keyboard, or to whatever else. And both the HD500X and the Pro (rack version) will run the Variax guitars (I have four) direct, and you can select amp/cab/FX/guitar model/alternate tuning instantly with a single stomp. And the Pod provides power to the Variax guitars and eliminates P90/single coil noise and cable impedance issues via an ethernet/VDI cable (no guitar cables necessary).

I fully get that some folks "don't get on" with Pods, especially when delving into menus on a tiny screen is required. But there's editing software that's well done, that works on your computer and that allows you to set presets for entire set lists at a time, and that will save presets on the computer so that you can pull them up and add them at a later time, etc.

The ME-80 presents everything pretty much out front, right on those plates that surround the knobs. You may have to bend way over and squint or kneel down (hey, you're in church anyway!) to see where you're set at any given time, but if you're not doing all that much with it, it won't matter.
The HD500 was more of a pain to use than it was worth. The settings are way too complicated and the sounds not too great. Took more time setting up than playing. The ME80 has set lists too btw. I originally bought the HD500 to use with my variax to avoid using the switching on the guitar but was too fiddly and I use wireless which makes the variax switching impossible because the wireless is only 1 way. And no point using wireless if you're stuck to a pedal with an 8 ft cable to the variax. I actually now get a better acoustic tone from my me80 acoustic sim and LTD h1001 on neck pick-up than I did with HD500 and variax. Strange but true. The Pod was only on the back half of my rig anyway, I use a convoluted set up and the pod was too much work and I didn't trust the sounds to be the same every time I switched it on. I have had POD POD2 and XT in the past and they were great home playing tools but I have never really got on with the floor mounted boards. Also I was a kid in the 80's and my first ever pedal was a CE2 and have loved Boss ever since. Sentimental??? lol.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Straight into the desk? Pod HD500X without a doubt.
This coming from a GT100 user.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've always been disappointed with Pods and have tried all the previous versions but having said that I have heard some people sounding great through these after a lot of tweaking. I have an ME80 now and it's not great for instantly modelling particular sounds and amps as the Pod is intended to do. What it is great for is shaping your own tone easily like using a series of pedals. One great thing I have found is playing my acoustic through it using the acoustic amp model sounds brilliant. Much better than any dedicated acoustic pedal I have tried. I also think the humbucker to single coil sound is really good. Better than a coil split. Very good value for money but you could also look at the GT100 which is perhaps more comparable to the Pod.
Effects are a personal choice. I have been using HD 500, ME80 and analog pedals separately for a while now still undecided which is best. But I suspect all have their own uses by the situation and the player.

Overall ME80 wins hands down. I found the tones more suitable and motivating for my playing. And most importantly, I find, that the focus is on playing and knob tweaking. Its frikkin easy to get what you want in a jiffy. And unbeatable effects like Freeze, Octave, Defretter, Tera Echo. Most of the effects are USABLE and not there to just QUOTE off a spec sheet (which is the case with Line 6) who gives a shit if you had 100 effects. How many you use is more important.

I find individual pedals awesome, but hey they are more complex. You have to research,
test, buy, slot in chain, tweak with amp and you need a good tube amp... painful process.

Cut it all short and just get the ME80. I started great sounds within 5 mins of plugging in.
Beats everything hollow. If you know you are going to get a great amp at each and every venue, go for Pedals. (this is never the case unless you made it in music)

Last point on the quality of OD/Distortion which a lot of people seemed to be cribbing about. The workaround is very simple. Use the EQ along with the drive and the tone shines through. Infact sounds awesome.
I personally prefer the HD500... Like the TS, my primary usage is for a church band where I'm going direct into the house PA.

I agree that it is very difficult to get "set up" with, and that there is a steep learning curve. However, the quality of sounds that are attainable with tweaking is pretty spectacular.

I also disagree with the above poster pertaining to the "usability" of the effects. I think that a huge percentage of the effects and amp models available on the HD500 are usable, if you're willing to tweak the settings on them, and get to know which ones sound like which "analog" equivalent that they're modeling.

One hint with the POD: It's way easier to set it up when you're plugged into a PC using the HD500 edit software than it is by trying to turn knobs.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
The Boss COSM modelling leaves a lot to be desired though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Boss COSM modelling leaves a lot to be desired though.

Don't they all? Personally I haven't heard anything that breathtaking from the Line6 camp either, I guess I'd say they're serviceable. I manage to get pretty good sounds out of my GT-10. The Vox Tonelab is probably the most organic sounding to me but they lack high gain.
I'm not really impressed by any cheap modeller, hell, I wasn't impressed by the AxeFX really either - but the HD500 kicks the GT100's arse in the modelling department.
I never turn on the modelling on my GT100, it sucks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm a simple guy, I frickin' love my ME50 and can even get some good crunchy drive sounds out of it. It works great for my purposes, which do not include amp modeling. For your purposes I'd say the POD without a doubt...unless maybe you dig the Zoom G5 (there's a new one).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20