I play mostly rock and would like an amp that can do excellent distortion and clean up nicely as well.
Anywhere from $850 and under is perfect, and I need to pick one up soon.
I would prefer a head and cab combo, but a head alone for a bit under this price point would be grand.
Thanks.
Tons of choices. Depends on where you live, new or used, and the specific guitarists that you consider influences to your tone. I might like a very different amp to play Jeff Beck and Clapton if you are going for Dimebag or Iommi.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Examples of bands you like please, and where are you in the world?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
honestly, I don't have any real tone "influence"... essentially I just want an amplifier that can nail hard/classic rock tones with a respectable clean channel to compliment the drive sounds.
And I'm happy with new or used- as long as the item is in good condition.
I'm located in the US.
Still not a very specific answer. Van Halen's "brown tone" and Iommi's tone and Page's tone are all completely different.

FWIW I'd recommend a JCM2000, Laney VH100R, used 5150/6505 of some sort.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Blackheart BH-15
Jet City JCA50
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Mesa used
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 11, 2015,
Marshall. Until more information is given.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by cjb1989
honestly, I don't have any real tone "influence"... essentially I just want an amplifier that can nail hard/classic rock tones with a respectable clean channel to compliment the drive sounds.
And I'm happy with new or used- as long as the item is in good condition.
I'm located in the US.

i'd give this some more thought. as others have pointed out there is a great deal of different classic rock and classic hard rock tones. you'd be hard pressed to find an amp that can "nail" them all. there must be some guitar players you like or tumes you want to play.
Quote by monwobobbo
i'd give this some more thought. as others have pointed out there is a great deal of different classic rock and classic hard rock tones. you'd be hard pressed to find an amp that can "nail" them all. there must be some guitar players you like or tumes you want to play.

Kemper...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
save up like 200 more dollars and grab a mesa tremoverb.

screw around with it for a month and then sell it and grab something else.

the price of tremoverbs is more stable then gold.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Arby911
Kemper...

not an amp in the traditional sense but ok you got me and yes axe-fx can to. pretty sure out of OP price range though.
Marshall

Marshall DSL 40C. I'd upgrade the speaker but it would be good for now.
Fly on, fly on
I'd look for a used Marshall JCM 900 MK III, combo if you can get one.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I'd look for a used Marshall JCM 900 SLX if you can get one.

FTFY.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Nah - I'd still go MKIII and get some OD pedals - I love that amp. Plus as a 1X12 combo its really easy move about. Probably my favorite combo amp at that price range. What do you like about the SLX?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I sometimes see used JCM800 combos here in Poland for about 700-750USD. Perhaps that might be good.

Or one of these Marshall Class 5 amps if you're willing to go with an OD. Depends how much volume you need as well.
Fly on, fly on
Not to overwhelm you- my recommendation would be the EVH 5150 iii 50watt. You can score that for $800 used and also grab a boost/ts pedal if you dont have one already. Not sure how well it will do Jimmy Page cuz i never tried, but it will clearly do EVH. Ive played it a few times; all three channels kick ass. But I think the clean and crunch channels will do just about everything you want. You could use the higain channel as a dedicated lead/solo channel. In combination with a tubescreamer, you have all sorts of possibilities for tones there. Just my 2cents
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by AcousticMirror
save up like 200 more dollars and grab a mesa tremoverb.

screw around with it for a month and then sell it and grab something else.

the price of tremoverbs is more stable then gold.

Agreed.

Pros: Switchable bias between EL-34 and 6l6 power tubes. Great cleans with 6l6s, Marshall Distortion on steroids with EL-34s. Reverb so drenched on orange channel you will need a mop. Will do metal sounds, classic rock, blues and even Jazz (prefer the 6l6s for cleans and jazz).

Cons: You will also need to buy a forklift.
Marshall DSL401 and a good boost like a Way Huge Green Rhino or maybe an MXR M77.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MistaSnowman

Cool amp. I went out and checked out a couple of video demos. The smaller single channel version with the 6v6s sounded better to me, but of course with a video demo its hard to say.

All my amps have either EL-84s or or EL-34s so this would fill a nitch. Thanks for the link.
Quote by Fryderyczek
I sometimes see used JCM800 combos here in Poland for about 700-750USD. Perhaps that might be good.

Good to know if he gets to Poland.

Carvin does a pretty good job with this, depending on the amp you choose. Egnater does a good job, too. And the used market is wide open. We'll cruise the LA Amp Show and find maybe a dozen amps that fit your criteria; maybe a road trip in October should be in the works.

And then there are mods and pedals. Wampler does a killer job with producing a Marshall-in-a-pedal that will work with a LOT of clean amps (Fenders, etc.). Check out his Pinnacle, Plextortion, etc. Richard L. Hassebrock has a series of mods for the Carvin Vintage Series (Belair, Nomad, 50W EL84-based all-tube 2x12 and 1x12 combo amps...and there's a Head Only as well), and his Hasserl Mods, Stage II for the Belair (plus the cost of the Belair) would be well within your budget, reversible, and would produce absolutely awesome sounds... (bias alert: I have a Belair with the Stage II mods. Best Bar Guitar toob amp ever).
Quote by Seriden
Agreed.

Pros: Switchable bias between EL-34 and 6l6 power tubes. Great cleans with 6l6s, Marshall Distortion on steroids with EL-34s. Reverb so drenched on orange channel you will need a mop. Will do metal sounds, classic rock, blues and even Jazz (prefer the 6l6s for cleans and jazz).

Cons: You will also need to buy a forklift.

+1 i love my tremoverb. i got mine a bit under your budget. you could find one if you are patient.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 i love my tremoverb. i got mine a bit under your budget. you could find one if you are patient.

Yes, it is an awesome amp. My tremoverb really came alive when I retubed it with an EL-34 retube kit from Eurotubes.

The verb can cover a really large spectrum and has amazing tones. I found the choice of tubes to be critical though. Depending upon the type of tones you are after, the choice of the 6l6s verses EL-34 is very important. I love the singing high gain sound, so the 6l6s did not quite do it for me. However, the cleans with the 6l6s I found to be much better than the EL-34s. However, the distortion with the 34's is beautiful.

So if you get a verb, experiment with it alot. Swap the tubes once if you are not satisfied with the sound.