Hey guys, I've been trying to get a decent tone out of my amp and I'm not really digging it. I've EQ'd it over and over and I'm not really getting results I like. I'm not sure if it's my tubes, my room, or my mic position.

I'm posting here cause I actually want to listen for advice, I'm not going to ignore everyones advice like a lot of people on here. The only thing I can't control is my room because it's not my house. Different Mic positions or EQs I'll gladly take to consideration.

Here is a soundcloud link of 2 Riffs, One I came up with and One Trivium and a harmony from another Trivium song.

This was the only decent tone I could get. Btw, my playing is sloppy, Don't judge.

https://soundcloud.com/adam-abyss/tone-test

I think it doesn't sound crunchy enough. It just sounds stale.
By the way, By EQ I mean change the settings on my amp. The recording is raw. Just one left one right.
What are your EQ settings for each channel?
What cab are you using?
what volume are you playing at?
What type of music (bands)?

realize any recording (besides a live one) has multiple guitar tracks/studio editing that thicken up the sound and you will never recreate it live
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sir Stoney
Hey guys, I've been trying to get a decent tone out of my amp and I'm not really digging it. I've EQ'd it over and over and I'm not really getting results I like. I'm not sure if it's my tubes, my room, or my mic position.

I'm posting here cause I actually want to listen for advice, I'm not going to ignore everyones advice like a lot of people on here. The only thing I can't control is my room because it's not my house. Different Mic positions or EQs I'll gladly take to consideration.

Here is a soundcloud link of 2 Riffs, One I came up with and One Trivium and a harmony from another Trivium song.

This was the only decent tone I could get. Btw, my playing is sloppy, Don't judge.

https://soundcloud.com/adam-abyss/tone-test

I think it doesn't sound crunchy enough. It just sounds stale.

What's kinda weird is Matt used a XXX in the really early days.

Also nice job with Kirisute Goman and Into The Mouth Of Hell been trying to get them for years and I can't play them well.

Have you tried to put an overdrive/post EQ on it?

Also what cab, mic and positioning are you using?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Mar 11, 2015,
Well I'm using An Avatar 2x12 V30/G12 Blend. I only mic the V30, an inch or 2 away from the cloth. And it's right off the cap, slightly to the side. Or the center circular thingy. Basically I just want a nice metal tone. I can't tell if it's too middy or bright. Or Vice Versa, or if it needs more or less bass. It all sounds the same in the end.
Quote by Sir Stoney
I honestly want a tone close to the Chapman Studio DVD, but its probably post EQ'd to hell.

Ther you go, that is heavily produced and you will not get that from a single rig.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Ther you go, that is heavily produced and you will not get that from a single rig.

Okay, How would you rate the tone. Do you like it? Is it too middy or bright?
I would try slightly more lows and slightly less mids. It doesn't sound stale, it's really not bad. And there is too much reverb i think (room?).
Quote by Reages
I would try slightly more lows and slightly less mids. It doesn't sound stale, it's really not bad. And there is too much reverb i think (room?).

Will do, and I believe that's the room. I record in a large basement lol.
How much gain? Sounds like too much. Are you on the ultra channel?, try the crunch one with an OD (assuming you are running active pickups). Turn down the gain and the bass and make sure the mids aren't scooped. .
Quote by Jeffh40
How much gain? Sounds like too much. Are you on the ultra channel?, try the crunch one with an OD (assuming you are running active pickups). Turn down the gain and the bass and make sure the mids aren't scooped. .

Running a TS9 as a boost, Level all the way up, gain all down. On the crunch channel running the gain at 10/11 o clock. With mids at halfway or a little abouve 1 o clock, and Bass at 1, and Highs at a little above 10.
The XXX doesn't really need a boost. I would get a good Eq in the loop like a MXR 10 band. I assume you are using the loop? Also make sure your damping setting is on "loose". That XXX will crunch all day, everyday with no problem. The active EQ can get a little tricky though. Also I am using KT-77's for power tubes cause I cannot stand 6L6's in that amp.
I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "more crunchy." Does that mean more gainy/distorted/grindy?

Anyway, I'm also not sure if you are referring to not being satisfied with your amp's live tone or its recorded tone. Those are two totally different things. If you're satisfied with the amp's tone in the room, then this thread belongs in the recording section -- as that is an art in and of itself (I myself have been struggling to get my recordings to sound half as good as the actual sound my 6505+ puts out, but the only way I've gotten close is to double, triple, or quad track it, and then EQ it to death).

As for tone coming from the actual amp itself -- I would recommend an EQ like the MXR 10-band in the loop. It's amazing how much you can change an amp's tone with one of those. It's the most important pedal on my board, that's for sure.

Otherwise, your recording didn't sound bad if it was a single raw track. Another track like that, one panned hard left and the other hard right, then add in a tightly-played bass guitar, and that would sound a lot closer to the album sounds in your head.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Those clips didn't sound bad to me. Hearing them out of context without drums, bass, cymbols, etc. is probably why you think they sound bad. Your not going to sound like a mixed and mastered song with just a guitar track.

Since you are asking about mic position I'm guessing your intent is recording, but correct me if I am wrong. A good "in the room tone" does not equate to a good recorded tone. With your setup, experimenting with mic placement is going to make a very big difference. If you can, move the mic around a couple inches while you play and you will hear the effect.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by jgebhardt
Also make sure your damping setting is on "loose". That XXX will crunch all day, everyday with no problem.

Good thought about experimenting with the damping. I have mine set to teh middle setting, but I like the tight setting works better with passive pickups and the middle for active, I don't use the loose. YMMV, but at least experiment with different settings.
It's two tracks on everything. One left, one right, 100-90% to either side. Can't remember which one but I can't tell. I actually have a broken 10 Band EQ but that does me do good I will try to pick another one up here soon. And the dampening switch is on loose

And I only care about the recording tone, so I screwed up by putting this here. I thought "amp tone", goes with the amp section insread of the recording section, my bad.

The Boost is in front of the amp, and it helps with the tone. I always need a boost in my setup, Iy sounds off without it lol. I have tried getting the tone I want before I use the boost but eh.

I will try the no boost when I get the eq pedal and when I get home from work I will try different mic positions. That's