Before getting into this I'll explain my set up..

Guitar goes through Line 6 G30 wireless system into the first half of my pedalboard (wah, overdrive/distortion) before the amp. In the FX loop I have my chorus, delay, reverb and clean volume boost. All the pedals are controlled by a true-bypass looper.

For some reason whenever I activate a loop that contains any of the pedals in the FX loop, there's a pretty considerable volume boost.

The pedals are an MXR Analog Chorus, Strymon Brigadier, TC Hall of Fame and MXR Micro Amp. The Brigadier and HoF have the most noticeable boost, the chorus isn't quite so loud.

Is this something to do with the long(ish) cables involved in my FX loop? I'm totally clueless, and it means I end up leaving my reverb on nearly all the time..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Does it happen with both of your amps?

Is there a send volume or signal strength knob on your amp(s)?

Is your FX loop tube controlled? If so maybe you have issue there.

Is your volume pedal on?

It seems like you left out what your loop switcher is. Maybe that is affecting things?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Do you have the micro amp on with the rest of these pedals? Because that's literally what it's supposed to do.
If not: Does your amp have send/return level control for the fx loops? Try lowering them if so.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by metalmingee
Does it happen with both of your amps?

I've not actually tried it with anything other than my JCM900, long story short, all my gig gear lives away from home as I don't have the space to keep it at home.. So I don't know

Quote by metalmingee
Is there a send volume or signal strength knob on your amp(s)?
There is an "Effects Loop Level Control" on the back of the amp, I can't believe I never thought to try that Although, the guitar signal is going through the FX loop all the time, even when I'm not using those particular pedals so surely that wouldn't make a difference?

Quote by metalmingee
Is your FX loop tube controlled? If so maybe you have issue there.
I don't think so..

Quote by metalmingee
Is your volume pedal on?
I only use the Micro Amp for a volume boost in solos, so no usually not.

Quote by metalmingee
It seems like you left out what your loop switcher is. Maybe that is affecting things?
It's a hand made thing built by a guy here in the UK, it's completely passive unless you connect power for the LEDs.

Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Do you have the micro amp on with the rest of these pedals? Because that's literally what it's supposed to do.
When boosting for solos and certain other lead parts, yes. Otherwise it sits in its loop minding its own business

I thought, maybe these pedals are buffered and that's what gives the volume boost? If I need to put a buffer somewhere before/after my FX loop cables to keep the volume consistent, maybe that's what happens when I engage these pedals??
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

unplug your pedalboard, and try one of those pedals in your loop by itself. run the guitar straight into the amp, no effects out the front. if you don't have the volume boost, then start adding stuff back in. process of elimination.

if the boost still happens, then it might be a little more complicated. try what i suggested first.
Turn down the effects loop level before going through all the trouble of processes of elimination. You are probably using line level at the moment when you should be using instrument levels for them pedals. I would turn it down all the way 1st and then bump it up as needed till it sounds best to you for your setup.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Mar 12, 2015,
I ended up turning the FX loop level all the way down, and it's all balanced out. I'm not sure how that works, but it does!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart