hello gents, ive been busy the last couple days turning my Peavey VK112 into a 212 combo. really wasnt to hard to do. i went on kijiji and found someone selling a Peavey stereo chorus 400 2x12 amp case. i figured it was a decent fit for what i was looking for. the cabinet was rewrapped with black vinyl, and the guy did a pretty crappy job. i also had 2 celestion vintage 30 speakers i wanted to put to good use.

there were a couple minor setbacks like the preamp tubes were in theway of the wooden part the speakers are mounted to.which caused me to have to set the chassis back about half inch creating a lip in the back.
aswell as the amp chassis itself was 5 inches 2 short creating a 5 inch gap when looking at the front.

Now onto the good stuff!!

peavey Stereo chorus 400 2x12 cabinet shell

got the Peavey VK 112 chassis inplace

had to drill 4 holes in the top to mount the amp. you can see the lip i mentioned earlier. aswell as the crappy vinyle rewrapping job the prevous owner did to it

this is why there is a lip in the back! damn tubes :/

piece of wood covered in black vinyl and the peavey logo plate from the VK112 fits nicely in the hole beside the amp chassis

got the jack inplace, now it can be used with other amps heads aswell

i also had to lower the bottom shelf on my desk to get it to fit properly

and no ....the finished product

hope you guys enjoyed it

any ideas how to cover up the gap in the back? im stumped and not sure what i should do to it, was thinking some kind of plastic 1/4 round trim? or tile flooring trim?
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Not Bad, man! What made you do this vs just getting an extension cab, just curious? That way you could have the resale value of the amp, a 1X12 when you want it, and the extension cab for when you want it.

But I am a lover of all sorts of projects, and I think you did just fine. Do you like it? What speakers did you put in there?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
this amp can still be used as an extended cab with any other head.... the main reason i did this was to save space in my room,and i like doing projects like this.. i dont think the resale value of a valve king 112 would be all that high.

im also tring to figure out a way to get it to work as a 1x12 cab aswell but dont know how to do that.
i installed 2 celestion G12 vintage 30 speakers.
am also looking to re wrap it in tolex once i get the supplies. that way i can cover the gap at the top with some half inch 1/4 round trim and tolex over that so you wouldnt see it
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Mar 25, 2015,
well i decided to apply a new tolex covering to the amp. this was my fist time doing this and i think i did a pretty good job, i even ordered a cool grill cloth to use. check it out!

(Invalid img)

the coloring on the grill cloth isnt quite right. its alot darker then the picture shows
i got the grill cloth from Vintagelogos.com and the tolex was ordered off ebay
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Congrats! That looks bitchin'!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
hey so i was moving my amp around the other day and noticed something i feared would happen. the edges of the tolex were starting to peel back and curl up. i read somewhere that this may happen if your using super 7 spray glue. seems after 6 months the glue was still gooey around the edges. so what i have done is i got some gorilla glue origonal and applies it to the curling/peeling edges. as this type of glue should solidify nice and hard. alot quicker. cant remember where i read to use gorilla glue, maybe a thread on UG not sure..

sadly the only part i am not able to fix is the bottom seam where both ends of the 1 piece of tolex meet. origonally i had cut it so it doesnt overlap. it peeled opened and wouldnt close up as as good. so now there is a 1mm gap on the bottom, you wont notice it from the front so im not to concerned.
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice
Pro Audio folks don't use tolex any more -- they use a coating, such as Duratex or LineX. The former is a rubberized, textured paint that can be applied with a special roller, and it looks very much like tolex. The main difference is that there's no glue to come undone and you can't tear the fabric. Repairs are simply a repaint of the affected area.
Ah yeah, in my journey to finish this project i thought of usong lineX but it seemed to expensive, didnt know about duraTex seems alot cheaperfor that stuff.. I went for tolex because i already had it tolex ordered anyway. And really didnt feel like spending more time scraping and sanding the cabinet. There where a few gouges i woulda had to fill and sand first, Figured the tolex would cover that stuff nicely lol..

If i were to build this from scratch id probably go with the textured spray stuff, seems alot more durable, easier and quicker.
Ibanez GRX40 - modified

Transformice