Having a little bit of trouble here, I'm trying to fit some drum parts (ezdrummer 2) to songs I have recorded in Reaper, most are set at 120bpm 4/4 however most are actually not 120bpm 4/4 since I did not record with the metronome and many are naturally not 4/4 songs (I think).

I don't mind to re-record but I'm having some trouble mostly working the tempos of stuff I have written (I would be a bad drummer lol). I'm kind of a bit lost on what to do...

Although, I can actually work out drum beats just fine like tapping or in my head to what I've recorded, it's just actually getting them down is the problem. Maybe a midi pad would be the solution?

Any help?

Thanks
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 12, 2015,
well, the drum loops library from EZ will not help you by that if the tempo is wrong.
You can try to make them by hand, but that really is a pain in the ass.

Just re record,
A midi pad could help, but it is a expensive solution for a easy task.
just go to a BPM calculator site, find the bpm that is in your mind and then set your DAW to that bpm

Then make a Really basic drum beat and after that slowly remove and add stuff to your liking
Ok thanks I've got something kinda cool working now. Does that method work for any riff even if it's not 4/4?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
My suggestion in the future is to always start with a drum track first even if it's just a something you don't plan to keep. At least you will always have a BPM map and something to follow to create a song. I usually lay down a very simple generic drum track then build the song and go back at the end and create the final drum track with my midi drum pads.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
My suggestion in the future is to always start with a drum track first even if it's just a something you don't plan to keep. At least you will always have a BPM map and something to follow to create a song. I usually lay down a very simple generic drum track then build the song and go back at the end and create the final drum track with my midi drum pads.

Sounds like a good idea

Quote by jaspervdv
Yeah, it will.
Only marker placement will be weird then.
But most daws can be changed to anther time signature

Do you mean markers for like the midi?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Metronome plus a drum sim like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRiokgGc2zY

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Don't have or want an ipad, but I was looking at something like a korg nanopad2 for like $60, I think that with a more 'simple' drum vst like addictive drums, evil drums or Steven slate might be a good choice. If it makes any difference, it's kinda like AiC, Pumpkins, Soundgarden with some other influences like Mastodon, Sabbath, Zeppelin and Metallica.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I don't think pads are the solution if you can't play it perfectly (and it takes a lot of practice to do it, trust me cos im trying to do the same with my korg padkontrol) - you won't be able to quantize it in your daw if the measure and bpm are not set correctly...I actually have the same problem and the only solution would be to learn how to choose a measure and bpm for your songs...

BPM is easy - use tap tempo to set it and then record with a metronome...
for the measure - you need to learn how to count it (I still don't know how to do that but proly you can find some tutorials on youtube)...
Last edited by un_like at Mar 12, 2015,
Most smartphone and computer drum sim apps have click tracks and "smart drums" that correct you if you get a little off so it's really easy to lay down a good basic drum track as a foundation for your song. Pick your poison.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY