Seems like alot of people know about audio here.
I found some of these 7amp pedal n whatnot emulators, got a sound that I could get somewhat close to skillet monster intro riff.
Thought I was gunna have some fun when I could play on my speakers....

But I don't understand why it sounds soooo sooo sooo muffled? even after completely redoing the settings to me as high pitched as possible, still heavily muffled. even the clean presets it comes with sounded like 6" of plexi.

I have a rocksmith real tone cable
and the sound system I use to play music on all the time, sounds a tad deeper then my headphones, nothing so catastrophic as using the emulator.

I tried plugging it into my cheap amp (audio out into input of amp)
and it was better, but had some noise issues... didn't think about the cd/line in.

whats up?
Could you be more specific about the speakers and headphones you are using. What kind are they?
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Specifics on the entire sound system including inputs, audio interface, outputs, and speakers. Simply a process of elimination.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Headphones usually sound better for that purpose from my experience...if youre using consumer hifi speakers that are not anything special don't expect much of it...I bought some tannoy active studio monitors and it's a lot better then hifi speakers, but still sounds better through audio technica ath-m50 headphones
Quote by un_like
Headphones usually sound better for that purpose from my experience...if youre using consumer hifi speakers that are not anything special don't expect much of it...I bought some tannoy active studio monitors and it's a lot better then hifi speakers, but still sounds better through audio technica ath-m50 headphones

I haven't heard such a tale before?
Hifi speakers color your sound. So most of the time it will sound better then is really is, and that is something you don't want when mixing and mastering.
when you're just playing around it shouldn't matter, and it should not trash your sound 100% when switching between speakers and headphones, what seems to be the case here.

no i think the problem is the lack of a interface.
a Pc sometimes does strange things when working with its build in sound card.
Quote by jaspervdv
I haven't heard such a tale before?
Hifi speakers color your sound. So most of the time it will sound better then is really is, and that is something you don't want when mixing and mastering.
when you're just playing around it shouldn't matter, and it should not trash your sound 100% when switching between speakers and headphones, what seems to be the case here.

no i think the problem is the lack of a interface.
a Pc sometimes does strange things when working with its build in sound card.

yes they colour the sound but if they are not quality hifi speakers few things always thrash your sound - frequency response and speaker sensitivity!! that's what matters...cheap speakers tend to enter clipping very fast also...

And ofc solid interface or a pci sound card is a must, forgot to mention that...
Home stereo speakers, 5 way surround sound systems, computer monitor speakers and the like are designed to pump up bass and upper mid frequencies as are some high priced headphones like Dr. Beats and DJ headphones. They make pre-recorded music sound bigger and fatter with more bass and high end. They don't reproduce music as it was actually recorded and mixed.

Studio monitors on the other hand are designed to be as "flat" as possible. No frequency peaks, no extended bass or treble. They are designed to play back music as accurately as possible. They also are designed to handle sudden volume peaks and spikes better and not distort as easily.

If you are getting into recording, the best thing you can do is get a decent set of real studio type monitors. The prices vary but just buy what you can afford. Read reviews that are geared toward recording not general listening.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 12, 2015,
Most stereo speakers sound pretty good with guitar and vocals (same frequency range) actually. I suspect this is a "plugging into the wrong input/output" problem but we don't really have any info to go on yet.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
When anyone first gets into recording you use what you have. If stereo speakers are what you have, it's what you use. If your headphones are a $15.00 pair of Radio Shack headphones you use them till you can afford something better. If the only input on your computer is an 1/8 inch sound card input, you use it. We've all been there.

In days before the internet and sites like this there were very few places to get this kind of valuable information.
I have the same problem as the TS with playing amp sim vsts back on active monitors. Im using krk rokit 5s. When I monitor on headphones (sony mdr 7506) the tone sounds great. When i monitor on my krks, it just sounds weaker, muffled. It makes me feel like I need to add a ton of gain to get a good responsive sound, but its still crapPy. Im wondering if its because they are only 5" speakers but I have had this problem on just about any set of monitors/computer speakers ive tried. My interface is pretty good (babyface)
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I have skullcandy hesh 2.0 headphones, a insignia ns-s2002 home theater system thing, rocksmith realtone cable.

realtone is usb to computer then
7amp ecombo-1 virtual audio thing...
out in the same front panel audio jack. I just use them one at a time, headphones or the theater system.

Just trying to figure out how they record these things. Its like it sound good on your headphones and then not very good at all on the peoples average speaker systems.
Music sounds good on both my headphones and theater system, but guitar only sounds good on headphones.

Its one of those things that I mess around with got it semi sounding good and forgot how I really did that.
I think the rear speaker ports fried out long ago, but still sounds great, and don't use the center either, maybe I will try tinkering with them one of these days.
I'm gunna check into these HiFi speakers?
As a pointed out before home theater speakers and a lot of headphones are OK for listening to music that has been recorded and mixed before hand but they are not "flat" sounding enough to let hear what it really sounds like. "Flat" headphones or speakers sound a little boring and lacking punch but if you get a mix to sound good on a set of flat speakers they should sound decent on any system. If you are mixing on something with extended bass or treble like a home theater systems (with a sub woofer), it will sound completely different on other peoples systems because when you mix on those speakers you will end up adding or lowering the frequencies that are specific to your system. It ain't easy. It's a learning process.