Budget around £500.

Clunk clunk clunk
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I just picked up a used Dobro Hound Dog Deluxe a few weeks ago for around $300 which translate to well below your budget. It has a pickup of some sort in it, but I haven't tried it plugged in and I'm new to the dobro so I don't know if it's actually decent or not.
Do you specifically want an acoustic-electric or do you want the electronics "just in case" you have a situation where you want or need them? For various reasons, resonators tend not to have pickups so your choices are limited. Also consider buying an instrument that you like and then adding a pickup later.

You should also be more specific about what you are after, such as round or square neck; wood or metal body; single cone with biscuit bridge, single cone with spider bridge, or tri-cone; etc if any of those matter. At the very least the neck shape certainly matters.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Do you specifically want an acoustic-electric or do you want the electronics "just in case" you have a situation where you want or need them? For various reasons, resonators tend not to have pickups so your choices are limited. Also consider buying an instrument that you like and then adding a pickup later.

You should also be more specific about what you are after, such as round or square neck; wood or metal body; single cone with biscuit bridge, single cone with spider bridge, or tri-cone; etc if any of those matter. At the very least the neck shape certainly matters.
If it can come with electrics then that's better than having to faff with additional pickups IMO.
I read that tricones sound the best, but the other types can still sound good. God knows why anyone would want a square neck. Must be for lap slide playing or something.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Exactly right... the squareneck models are for playing lap-style. This is the standard for bluegrass-style "dobro" playing. Or lap steel.

I built a lap steel but the technique is "backwards" to regular slide playing.... You hold the slide between thumb and forefinger and damp with the pinkie side
Actually steel playing is older. So "regular" slide playing is backwards.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.