Stompbox: Guitar Effects or Electric Bass Drum Box?

I have always associated the term Stompbox with an effects pedal, as in the device a guitarist uses to produce effects, which are added to the natural guitar sound, that they operate with their foot, such as the Boss Stompboxes.

Having established this, it has been recently apparent to me that the term seems to be intertwined now with another device. An electronic bass drum box. Or as the company Logjam calls them, a "stomper"

When doing a google search for stompbox , the main wiki article that pops up is not for an effects pedal, but for the device that you stomp with your foot over and over again to produce an electric bass drum sound.

I'm just curious as to when the term stompbox started to mean this other instrument? Is it just recently that this has occurred, or has this been established for a while now?

Do a lot of people associate the term stompboxes with these other instruments, or do most people still associate stompboxes with effects pedals?

Thanks.

Last edited by bachfantasia at Mar 12, 2015,
Quote by bachfantasia
I'm just curious as to when the term stompbox started to mean this other instrument? Is it just recently that this has occurred, or has this been established for a while now?
It's actually the other way around - guitar pedals have started being called stopmboxes after they invented that piece of wood with a p/up in it.

It's pretty old.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Look on youtube for diy stompbox and see how many people make a foot drum acoustic or electric. Also cajon drums are great using a foot pedal. Plus you can use it to sit on while playing guitar.