I've been considering buying a JP100D and all the other guitars I'm looking at that are a similar price, use a Floyd Rose 1000 or 2000 series bridge so the key question is how does the bridge on the Sterling compare and stand up to a Floyd Rose?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
well the real ? would be how does that bridge hold up against the one on the Music Man Petrucci model. since John doesn't ue a floyd this model doesn't feature one. i've played this guitar and the actual MM and think the trem is really good. yes it will need a good setup. now if you are trying to go dive bomb crazy then there might be a tuning issue. personally i've stoped using floyds and prefer non locking at this point (i use both 2-point and 6 screw fender trems). if you don't need to do a bunch of extreme whammy things then you should be fine.
Doing divebombs, while lots of fun, isn't the main reason for having a trem as far as I'm concerned. My Les Paul doesn't have a trem so I'd like that option on this one. The reason I was comparing it to an OFR is that the other guitars I'm looking at all have that option and an OFR comes with high quality, high durability and a high level of tuning stability. I don't expect the one on the Sterling to have the same tuning stability as a Floyd but neither do I expect it to be going out of tune easily either. What I do expect is a trem that's a match for an OFR in terms of build quality and durability and that's what I'm unsure about. The thing is that I can get a Jackson DK2QM Pro, which is very similar spec to a JP100D but with an OFR bridge, for £135 less than the Sterling. That's a significant amount of cash for something if the bridge unit isn't as solid, well made and durable so the comparison to the Floyd is certainly relevant here in those terms.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Doing divebombs, while lots of fun, isn't the main reason for having a trem as far as I'm concerned. My Les Paul doesn't have a trem so I'd like that option on this one. The reason I was comparing it to an OFR is that the other guitars I'm looking at all have that option and an OFR comes with high quality, high durability and a high level of tuning stability. I don't expect the one on the Sterling to have the same tuning stability as a Floyd but neither do I expect it to be going out of tune easily either. What I do expect is a trem that's a match for an OFR in terms of build quality and durability and that's what I'm unsure about. The thing is that I can get a Jackson DK2QM Pro, which is very similar spec to a JP100D but with an OFR bridge, for £135 less than the Sterling. That's a significant amount of cash for something if the bridge unit isn't as solid, well made and durable so the comparison to the Floyd is certainly relevant here in those terms.

the bridge on the Sterling probably doesn't have the build quality of an OFR however if the floyd isn't a german made one then it would be lesser quality as well. i don't think that the build qualty on the Sterling will be much of an issue, its going to be more about tuning stability. with a good setup it should work fine but a non locking trem wil never have the tuning stability of a locking one. i use Fender style trems and manage to keep them reasonably in tune but i'm not doing crazy drop the strings slack dive bombs or go nuts on it type stuff either. the Sterlings i've tried have been very well made guitars.

on floyds it's the knife edges and the string clamps on both ends that do you in. cheap knife edges wear out fast and the clamps that use cheaper softer metal also go bad. both cause tuning issues. with the non locking trems neither is really an issue. even trems on say a Squier strat will usually hold together just fine and work for years with no issue.