I don't know if I'm putting this in the right place but I was wondering if anyone has some amp settings to get a good Ted Nugent tone like from stranglehold. My amp is a Randall RX15. I have Gain, Bass, Mids, and treble, as well as a clean channel.
Gibson Byrdland and midrange. Lots and lots of midrange to get the soundboard to resonate and howl... and furious right hand technique.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Rig_Rundown_Ted_Nugent
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 12, 2015,
He uses a 6505 mostly doesn't he? You've got the wrong amp entirely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I haven't necessarily tried to get Nugent's tone before, but I am somewhat familiar with it. I always notice a lot of natural, vintage tube overdrive and multiple tracking (probably because I hear "Cat Scratch Fever" from my brother quite a lot). The multiple tracking doesn't seem to be prevalent in Stranglehold.

Really, you're going to want a tube amp that breaks up easily. Boost that amp with a preamp boost, and use a delay (or delays) with an ultra-short delay time to help with the multi track facet. That's just my ear, though.

For your Randall, put your amp on a slight crunch and boost the mids. If you have a Tubescreamer or something like that, use that in front of the amp as a preamp boost.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 12, 2015,
His live tone is quite different to his studio tone. His studio tone is often a cranked Fender Deluxe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
His live tone is quite different to his studio tone. His studio tone is often a cranked Fender Deluxe.

Back when I was a fan he used a Deluxe in the studio and a wall of Twins on stage. It might have been my loudest concert ever. Right in there with Deep Purple, Van Halen, and Black Sabbath.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

^ Ah neat. So what about the Fender Vaporizer if TS decides to go for an amp? Just an amp I've seen recently, has some rad oldie breakup that might be good for a home Nugent tone.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 12, 2015,
He's moved onto 6505's now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He's moved onto 6505's now.

Yep. The last time I saw him live was Cal Jam II in 1978. We were in the first 5 rows for Nugent and my ears are still ringing. Great concert though.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep. The last time I saw him live was Cal Jam II in 1978. We were in the first 5 rows for Nugent and my ears are still ringing. Great concert though.

I was at that show.
Kicked ass.
I was passed out for the first few acts though.

One odd memory that still sticks with me is some guy with his tidy whiteys around his ankles whacking in front of some guy and his GF, until the guy punched him, people threw bottles at him, etc. We ended up nicknaming him "bloody briefs".

Also saw him a few years later at Long Beach Arena.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 13, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
I was at that show.
Kicked ass.

Yes, the crazy always seems to show up for the huge outdoor music festivals.

Ted has had more than one tone so you might want to be more specific. his tone from his early solo albums was the Byrdland into wooded Fender Dual Showmans and totally depended on poweramp distortion. obviously that is a tough tone to get the same way he did. i try getting something that works for that by using my crunch channel with the gain turned down a fair bit and then using an overdrive with just a touch of gain. takes a bit to dial in that fat crunch sound he got with a little hair on it.

later Ted went on to use solid body guitars and higher gain amps but i wouldn't say he used a true high gain tone.

side note: last time i saw Ted live the opening band was Alkatraz that featured some guy named yngwie on guitar. he was pretty good