Hi,
Everything is in the title ...
Into a 30W all-tube combo, for playing metal at low tuning, with a better sensitivity.
Obviously, difficult to test all the models...
After some researches, it appears that Eminence's speakers could be a good solution, like the Governor and Swamp Thang models, with a "preference" for the latter.
There are also the Celestion Greenback and V30 models , but a little "over-priced " for what they really are, from what I've read .
Your opinions / experiences?
Thanx !
I am a V30 fanboy but the Private Jack is pretty close at around 1/2 price. Worth a look.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Swamp Thang IMO. it's great for that bass you get from higher gauge strings.
Or a Vintage 30. That's the standard for metal.

I assume you have a Marshall DSL40C? They come with these stock.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
You may like a g12-k100. Also look into WGS speakers, they are building quite a reputation.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Ok, thanx for the answers
Quote by Fryderyczek
Swamp Thang IMO. it's great for that bass you get from higher gauge strings.
Or a Vintage 30. That's the standard for metal.

I assume you have a Marshall DSL40C? They come with these stock.

No, it's for upgrading a Laboga the beast.
I know V30 and Greenback are the standards, but as I said, maybe a little bit too expensive...
I'm not a fan of v30's but for an amp like that it seems like the obvious speaker choice.
That is if, as I'm guessing, you mostly wanna play distorted stuff with it.

If you're low on cash simply get a WGS veteran 30.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
which amp?

what do you mean when you say "metal"?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which amp?

Laboga Beast.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Dave_Mc
which amp?

The amp : laboga the beast
When I say metal, I mean stuff like Carcass, Gojira or Behemoth, for exemple.
I gravitate towards Eminence V12 or Celestion G12h30 for heavy music depending on the amp. Greenbacks are cool for old school metal or when mixed with other speakers, but on their own I'd pass for anything past mid 80's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^^ + ^^ thanks

that stuff's getting a bit heavier than I'm familiar with i'm with rob, greenbacks or even really g12h30s unless you're playing doom or something like that are probably not tight enough.

v30s are probably the safe choice. Or you can combine them with classic leads or g12k100s (i haven't tried the g12k100s) for more chunk. Other manufacturers may make cheaper versions of those speakers, as you've discovered yourself. I haven't tried them, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
G12k100s are more on the bass side of things. I had to crank the mid and treble up on my JCA50H when i used my mates 2x12 loaded with them.

Great speakers though, I might pair one with something like a V30 though. ( Ive had several speakers over the years but always found myself coming back to a oversized 2x12 with V30s)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
G12k100s are more on the bass side of things. I had to crank the mid and treble up on my JCA50H when i used my mates 2x12 loaded with them.

Great speakers though, I might pair one with something like a V30 though. ( Ive had several speakers over the years but always found myself coming back to a oversized 2x12 with V30s)

+3.1415 i love my K85's, i have 12. they are the same as the K100's, they ****ing kick ass. i like them alone, and mixed with V30's.

but they are my favorite speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If Celestion V30 is too expensive then Eminence Governor, WGS Retro 30 and WGS Veteran 30 are all different takes on V30 style speakers and cheaper. V30 variant is always a safe bet for metal. Celestion G12T75 (or Man-o-war or HM75 for Eminence and WGS variants) are for more extreme midrange-light styles, with more focus on low end thump and sharp treble, if that is your thing. I like both.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+3.1415 i love my K85's, i have 12. they are the same as the K100's, they ****ing kick ass. i like them alone, and mixed with V30's.

but they are my favorite speaker.

Reading up on those k85's they sound like something i need to play now haha.

Deffo a good speaker to look into
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
For infomartion, according to Eminence :
"The Governor and Swamp Thang are both much more efficient than a Seventy 80. The Governor has a classic British tone with tight, punchy lows, warm/thick mids, and warm, smooth highs. Swamp Thang is very clean, thick, and chunky with BIG, full lows, darker mids, and clear highs. It’s got really nice sustain and clarity. It’s our more popular choice for metal because of the thickness and well-defined lows."
The question is : in a small combo (dimensions (width x depth x height): 460 x 235 x 440 mm), is the replacement a really good improvement?
Last edited by larphi at Mar 19, 2015,
Quote by larphi
For infomartion, according to Eminence :
"The Governor and Swamp Thang are both much more efficient than a Seventy 80. The Governor has a classic British tone with tight, punchy lows, warm/thick mids, and warm, smooth highs. Swamp Thang is very clean, thick, and chunky with BIG, full lows, darker mids, and clear highs. It’s got really nice sustain and clarity. It’s our more popular choice for metal because of the thickness and well-defined lows."
The question is : in a small combo (dimensions (width x depth x height): 460 x 235 x 440 mm), is the replacement a really good improvement?

I can verify that they are both outstanding speakers. I run a set of each crossed in a 4 X 12 cabinet. In combination, they provide everything I want out of a cabinet -- CRUSHING lows/low mids with a loud, powerful "grind" in the mids to upper mids -- without being harsh and ice-picky.

If it was a 1 x 12 and I had to pick one or the other, I'd probably go with a Governor. It has plenty of low end thump, but lots of rich, grinding mids. The Swamps have a thicker, chunkier low end, but the mids are not nearly as pronounced. It has smooth, musical highs though. That's why the two work very well together.