My wah is currently low on battery (I can tell because I can hear a faint wah sound when I move it but without playing the guitar) and I've noticed that my gain has suddenly dropped on my setup, and lacks punch. Adding gain and EQ on the amp adds less than it usually does.

I know to just change battery, and I will, but I'm just curious if the battery running low affects the actual bypass signal, not just the effect when engaged?
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
Depends if your pedals are true bypass or not.

If they are then it doesn't matter, and if they aren't it probably will matter.

It may also be a pre tube gone bad in the amp though.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
if its not true bypass yeah
some effects pedals also have buffers which run on the battery as well and low battery will affect the sound bypasses or not

the lack of gain might also be from a tube going bad
Why don't you have a power supply?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Why don't you have a power supply?

+ 1, or... like 30

Save the money on 9 volts and get you a power strip and some adapters, or a daisy chain.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I have a one-spot on each of my pedal boards (1 guitar and 1 bass). They do fine. A 1-spot with a 5 way adapter shouldn't cost more than $30 US.
I do power the rest with a 9V daisy chain, but it doesn't seem to fit into my wah.

Bad news, I swapped the battery and I'm still getting that lack of punch and gain. Never changed tubes before, eek! Is it really likely to be a preamp after only 6 months of ownership? Not sure what could have caused it! All the power tubes seem to be glowing fine.
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
Quote by TheLazer
I do power the rest with a 9V daisy chain, but it doesn't seem to fit into my wah.

Bad news, I swapped the battery and I'm still getting that lack of punch and gain. Never changed tubes before, eek! Is it really likely to be a preamp after only 6 months of ownership? Not sure what could have caused it! All the power tubes seem to be glowing fine.

Did you still get the drop after pulling the wah out of the chain? Plug straight in and see what happens. No pedals.
it shouldn't affect half-assed bypass either

buffered it probably will. though i guess it's possible the buffer might not need as much power as the effect, so the effect might no longer work but the bypassed tone might still be ok. But either way you need to be changing the battery sooner rather than later if it's buffered. when the battery is totally dead you'll have no sound at all.

even some true bypass pedals use relays, which also need power. Though some of them default to bypass in the event of there being no power.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/257231-laney-ironheart-owners-thread.html

The Laney Ironheart (it WAS the amp that I wanted to get, hence I did my homework) is THE single most sensitive amp I have ever seen/heard to preamp tubes. Read that thread, seriously. There are a couple of preamp tube recommendations in there, although all of them are best fitted for high - gain stuff. Someone on another forum (cannot place whether it was MetalGuitarist or UltimateMetal) apparently knows someone who owns the 60W Ironheart just to see/test the differences between preamp tubes. Take that as you will.

But yeah, with a 'regular' amp, 6 months should be alright for stock preamp tubes. The Ironheart however, is a different beast.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.