I was wondering what equipment would be suitable to play without an axe fx or any amp modeling systems. Although I admire what an axe fx does I don't think I'm ready to own one yet. With that being said what equipment, specifically amps and guitar pedals would be ideal for playing djent, preferably the tone acquired in the band Northlane for those that are familiar.
If you're familiar with the band Xerath(If you're not I suggest checking them out, they kick ass) the guitarist uses a Peavey JSX through a Marshall 4x12.

You could buy all of those and be set, but if you're on a budget and in the US a used JSX combo would suit your needs.

If you're in Europe a Jet City plus Harley Benton Vintage 2x12/4x12 +some type of OD.

Honestly, if you want to play djent you need a low tuned guitar and the knobs on your amp set right.
What amp do you have now BTW?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Ohh, that's bad.
But honestly, I think the insane setting on that thing sounds half decent for djent.

Where do you live?
Fly on, fly on
Well, a JSX would be great. Wait for Robbognarly and he'll find you some killer deals on Guitar Center used.

Oh, and what guitar?
Fly on, fly on
I've got a mexican made fender strat HSS, but I have a dedicated Schecter C-1 hellraiser FR set to drop C, but I intend to get it set up in drop A
I wouldn't change it TBH. The lowest I tune is C# standard or drop B for some Machine Head.
But still, your choice.
Fly on, fly on
Yeah I'll defiantly consider it, as far as amps go I initially thought I could get away with a peavey 6505 or 6534 with an orange 2x12 cab
Right when Periphery was just starting to get noticed with their first album I remember them going along the line of saying that medium gain tones work best. That was before the axe-fx and they used like 2 or 3 decimator noise gates in their chain with their amps (I wish I could remember what they used). The Schecter will get the job done and I'd say a good American voiced amp would be good. JSX, 6505, Mesa...I think I've all seen them used at some point or another. A good clean channel is a plus. Noise gates, delays, and reverbs are your friend too. A lot of the djent tone is more or less in the playing style IMO.
Most high gain amp heads will do great for this- 6505+, 5150's, JSX/XXX, Mesa's, etc. One thing many don't consider with this type of tone is the guitar itself. What pickups are you using? Typically you'll want one that isn't very heavy bass wise, and has a shit-load of mid range. I have a few sets of Bareknuckle Aftermaths that I love, but price wise, I would say it's far more worth your money to get a Seymour Duncan Pegasus or Nazgul for the bridge.

Another thing that would really help with this would be an EQ pedal that lets you mix all frequencies below 100 out of your tone.
Mesa Dual Rectifier + matching cab, Bareknuckle pickups, TS9/OD808, something with 7 strings
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
^ no don't get a dual recto for djent they don't sound like djent at all.

And the fact that bareknuckle p/ups sound better for djent is a myth - they make all sorts of p/ups and the nailbomb was labeled a djent p/up after the bk= djent myth was made popular.

Don't get me wrong they can sound good, but if you wanna spend a lot of money on a p/ups for djent I'd get a lundgren, and if you're low on cash I'd get a duncan distortion or similar.

How much money do you wanna spend?

The cheapest solution is a 6505+ combo with a v30, a tube screamer and a noise gate, but you may wanna go for something different depending on your budget.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by moses132049
Misha Mansoor’s Attack Overdrive
This is another "urban legend".

That OD really doesn't do anything particular, it's really only a slightly modified dead horse OD.

For attack, get a noise gate with a hell of a short attack and possibly a compressor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I defiantly want to look into a noise gate, i've been looking at wanting to buy an ISP Decimator for a while and I know little about compression pedals
Firstly, C# is not low enough for Djent, at least to my standards. You're able to do whatever you want, but if you really want the "Djent" tone, you need to tune lower (or get a 7-string). Drop A is good for a 6 string guitar. You might want to look into getting a specialized string set along with your set up.

Secondly, a Peavey 6505 and a cab (or the combo) would work fine as your amp. Boost the amp with a Tubescreamer. Use a noise gate for a quick, punchy attack. Use the comp to boost the pick transient.
Most djent bands' main tones revolve around a mid gain 5150 sound. Misha even says the best budget amp for djent is a block letter 5150 or original 6505, not the 6505+, 5150 II or 5150 III. Basic OD in front (Tubescremer or some clone) and a noise gate in the FX loop. Another thing that will help is a MXR 10 band and boosting the mids around 1.4K Hz.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by Fryderyczek
Well, a JSX would be great. Wait for Robbognarly and he'll find you some killer deals on Guitar Center used.

Oh, and what guitar?

So I'm that guy now huh?

It's not a JSX, but it is a XXX 1/2 stack for $550 and it will do Djent
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-XXX-Head-And-Cab-Half-Stack-110968526-i4220180.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Will Lane
Firstly, C# is not low enough for Djent, at least to my standards

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB