Page 1 of 2
So I have 2 jobs. I have a full time job that I started at over a year ago and a part time job which I started at over 7 years ago, when I was still in high school.

I make good wage at this full time job, but the problem is I get laid off probably 3-4 months of the year (during which I get unemployment cheques, which are still more than my part time job). That's why I kept the part time job. To work during my laid off time and make more (yes unemployment knows I have that job). When I'm working my full time job I work 6am-2pm every Monday-Friday, and then I work 6-230 Sat and Sun at my part time job. 7 days a week I wake up at 5am. I've been working at this art time job for so long that I make top rate (which is a laughable $13.39/h).

That brings me in a $250-$350 paycheck every two weeks. My full time job brings me in around 40k a year. I made $7500 with my part time job last year.

Here's my question: Should I quit my part time job? I literally have no time for anything because I go to bed at like 8pm every single night. Cause I wake up at ****ing 5am every day. I don't have time for any of my hobbies (mountain biking mostly), I don't really do anything other than work. But I make money. That's literally the only benefit. Is it worth it?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've asked a lot of people and most are saying to just quit, but I still don't know. That'll bring 47k a year to 40k a year which is a decent amount. My part time job basically pays for gas and insurance, which is nice. But my personal life is filled with work. Is that a fair trade-off?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

i'm the worst person to ask for job advice, but i'll share my opinion anyway:

quit the part time job for now. you can always find another one.

can i ask what you do for either one? because i've been working similar hours doing merchandise flow/stock 4-5 days a week 6-11:30 AM (although i usually get asked to stay until 2) and it's kind of sucking the energy out of me. most of my days off so far have been spent sleeping until mid-afternoon.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i'm the worst person to ask for job advice, but i'll share my opinion anyway:

quit the part time job for now. you can always find another one.

can i ask what you do for either one? because i've been working similar hours doing merchandise flow/stock 4-5 days a week 6-11:30 AM (although i usually get asked to stay until 2) and it's kind of sucking the energy out of me. most of my days off so far have been spent sleeping until mid-afternoon.

I know what you mean about the energy. My full time job is at a steel forge which is hot, dirty, back breaking work for 8-10 hours a day. My part time job is a vacation in comparison (produce at a grocery store). It just sucks to not be able to unwind. Even if I get 1 day off it's almost like it's just not enough. Like sometimes the grocery store gives me Saturday off. That means I'm tired as **** from the forge on Friday, so I don't go out. But it means I work at 6am on Sunday, so what can I do on Saturday? I gotta be in bed at 8-9pm.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by naedauuf
I know what you mean about the energy. My full time job is at a steel forge which is hot, dirty, back breaking work for 8-10 hours a day. My part time job is a vacation in comparison (produce at a grocery store). It just sucks to not be able to unwind. Even if I get 1 day off it's almost like it's just not enough. Like sometimes the grocery store gives me Saturday off. That means I'm tired as **** from the forge on Friday, so I don't go out. But it means I work at 6am on Sunday, so what can I do on Saturday? I gotta be in bed at 8-9pm.

yeah, this is exactly what's been happening to me. (working at a forge sounds like hell tho. possible bad joke intended.)

if i don't have two consecutive days off, i just end up sleeping through most of my one day off.

quit the part time job. you don't need it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by naedauuf
I don't really do anything other than work. But I make money. That's literally the only benefit. Is it worth it?

No.
Not sure how unemployment works, are you sure that you wouldn't get in trouble for not having that PT job for the 3 or 4 months you're laid off? Jake's right though, you could always get a different part time job if needed.
Yeah, I'd say quit the part time job if it's not necessary. Take your weekends off. No point in working yourself to death.
Living well and being able to relax is honestly so much more important. Think of it this way: what's that extra money you're making supposed to do? Make you more comfortable, be able to have a little more fun in your spare time, just live better in general right? Is that happening? Is there even room for that to happen? The extra money sounds pretty pointless apart from saving it which you can do anyway.

40k is plenty for a person to live on comfortably. Just don't go crazy, have time for your hobbies and chill. Don't waste ya youth
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quit the part time job. I make the same as you and it's plenty to do what you want to do. Plus you'll have free time to actually do what you want to do. Any chance of moving up/ making more money in your full time?
I would be super depressed if I only worked for money and didn't have time to enjoy life. To be honest you're probably much more hard working than me, so I don't know if that affects my decision to not work every minute that I can. But seriously, if you need the extra money too badly don't quit. If you don't really need it apart from having extra money which is nice I would quit since extra money is less valuable than happiness and time, at least in my book.
I would just ask if you could go seasonal with that part time job and work during your layoff periods? There's not need to completely sever the bridge, just close it off to traffic when you don't need it. Most jobs that have loyalty to their employees would do this without issue. Part Timers hardly factor into the labor cost when it comes to payroll in comparison the whole.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quit. I'm sure if you find that you need the money at a later date, it won't be that hard to find another part time job. Working early starts every day is depressing as ****.

Quote by JustRooster
I would just ask if you could go seasonal with that part time job and work during your layoff periods?

This is also a good shout if its possible for you.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by chev311e
Quit the part time job. I make the same as you and it's plenty to do what you want to do. Plus you'll have free time to actually do what you want to do. Any chance of moving up/ making more money in your full time?

After 6500 hours (about 3 years give or take a few months) I'll be making about $10/h more.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by JustRooster
I would just ask if you could go seasonal with that part time job and work during your layoff periods? There's not need to completely sever the bridge, just close it off to traffic when you don't need it. Most jobs that have loyalty to their employees would do this without issue. Part Timers hardly factor into the labor cost when it comes to payroll in comparison the whole.

Well with this place they're pretty much dead in the water because of Wal-Mart. The company is phasing out full time jobs totally (only way they ca do that is never promote anyone else to full time ever and wait for the current full timers to retire/quit) and automating everything else so an idiots can do it. They hire part timers at 8 hours a week. It's brutal. I was actually going to quit when I got my full time job, but the manager of the store said we can work something out (meaning me working 1 day a week). I'm actually obligated to work 3 nights a week and 1 day. So them giving me 1 day a week to work is the best I could do. Part timers are pretty much their life blood at this point. It's either quit or continue working. Can't cut my work time any more than I have.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Is that 40K over the 8-9 months? God damn dude quit the other job
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Last edited by ProphetToJables at Mar 13, 2015,
Quit the part time job, or ask for less hours or a contract that suits you.

No point in having money if you're tired all the time and don't have any spare time.
Personally, I'd quit the part-time job. I don't know what the cost of living is up north in Canada, but here in the states, 40K is more than enough for one person to live off of.
Skip the username, call me Billy
If you're making 40k on 9 months work, then quit the part time job.
I make 40k in 12 months and I live just fine without another job, and that counts a house payment and all of the associated bills along with it
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
40k is a lot of money for a 23 year old. Christ.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Living well and being able to relax is honestly so much more important. Think of it this way: what's that extra money you're making supposed to do? Make you more comfortable, be able to have a little more fun in your spare time, just live better in general right? Is that happening? Is there even room for that to happen? The extra money sounds pretty pointless apart from saving it which you can do anyway.

40k is plenty for a person to live on comfortably. Just don't go crazy, have time for your hobbies and chill. Don't waste ya youth

40k in ontario is very different than 40k wherever you live.
What is 40k like in Ontario?

The only thing I know about Ontario is that my favorite Canadian band (Monster Truck) is from there.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
i would say quit and I am all about making as much as possible all the time. With that said, live your life, go mountain biking so you dont go crazy. then with the extra time focus on getting a $50k+ job or simply ask for a raise at your FT position.

Best of luck
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by Thrashtastic15

i thought the exchange rate between the US and Canada was pretty close.

unless you mean...

what do you mean?
Probably referring to cost of living.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

Quote by jakesmellspoo
i thought the exchange rate between the US and Canada was pretty close.

unless you mean...

what do you mean?
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by Thrashtastic15

dude i dunno, idk anything about ontario but i think we both just have very skewed concepts of wealth. looking at costs of stuff everything seems a bit higher if only because it's a city but not to the point where i imagine you'd have much trouble. he didn't seem to imply he'd be dying without that extra $7,000 either. i think he'd be fine. again, comfortable, provided he's just covering himself.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
So you work an extra job to make more money so that you can afford all of your fun activities and leisurely lifestyle that you pursue in all of the time that you don't have off from working two jobs?

This is you

My God, it's full of stars!
Just stop showing up to the part-time job. It's kinda shitty but saves you the awkwardness of telling the manager you quit. I stopped giving my managers notice when I realized how awkward quitting was.
Quote by SGstriker
What is 40k like in Ontario?

The only thing I know about Ontario is that my favorite Canadian band (Monster Truck) is from there.

40k is totally livable. I can buy an apartment, a decent one, for about 800-1000 a month. Insurance for me in like $300/mo. I could get by comfortably on like $2000 a month.

Going down in pay is something that just bugs me.. I don't know maybe I'm greedy or maybe I like being prepared. You never know what could happen. If I needed a new truck for example, or maybe my GF got pregnant. Who knows, anything could happen.
Quote by Dreadnought
So you work an extra job to make more money so that you can afford all of your fun activities and leisurely lifestyle that you pursue in all of the time that you don't have off from working two jobs?

This is you

Yea it's a very chicken and egg situation.. I wouldn't have as much disposable income, so if something happened to my bike it'd take either longer to save to fix (my bike is pretty expensive, and trail riding and downhilling definitely take a toll on your bike), or take a hit from my current savings.

Quote by APileOfDeadCops
Just stop showing up to the part-time job. It's kinda shitty but saves you the awkwardness of telling the manager you quit. I stopped giving my managers notice when I realized how awkward quitting was.

Oh I have zero issue actually doing the quitting. It's a grocery store. I'd literally just walk in and say "I'm not showing up anymore I quit. See ya later".
Quote by MetalGS3SE

I'd say quit the part time job and see how you feel from the money standpoint. If you feel like you aren't making enough, get another part time job. With the consistent experience (you said 7 years in that one part-time job, right?), you should have no trouble finding another one if necessary.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by APileOfDeadCops

Yeah, but you're also an idiot.

Do you think your quality of life will go up or down by leaving that job? If you can answer that question, you know what to do.
Quote by thejester
Probably referring to cost of living.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

yeah, that's what i figured, but i got lazy and didn't mention it in my post.
Quit it. If you've got enough money to see you through the months when you're not working then you don't really need the part time job. You could always just find a temp job for the months you're not working full time if you get too bored and fancy a bit of extra pay.
It sounds like you just live to work, and that's shit.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quit the job. If the job is nothing more than a tiny means to make money, then it's not worth your TIME (the other currency). Your job(s) should not only provide you income, but also the experience, motivation, and resources to move onto bigger and better things. So if that part time job is not fulfilling those, then it actually has a lot of opportunity costs associated with it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Godsmack_IV
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/wiki/index

do you have a six month emergency fund? do you have a budget which is contributing enough to retirement savings? do you see advancement opportunities in your full-time job?

Yes. I have a bit saved up.

Yes. I've been getting into trading stocks and investing into mutual funds and just signed over 4.5% of my weekly pay for my pension investments last week. (at my full time job).

Yes, but they come automatically at 6500 hours (3-4 years) with a $10/h raise.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Page 1 of 2